Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-19-2015, 07:16 AM   #16
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Edit: Of course to use it I would have to obtain the font legally in the first place, such as by buying a Kindle with the font installed. I don't mean to suggest that the font could be distributed, any more than a purchased ebook could be.
I had gathered from around the traps that most people were getting it from the web, where it's been pulled out of a Fire and posted on a forum. The Digital Reader posted a link. But maybe everyone's getting it off their own Fires, who knows?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 07:51 AM   #17
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I had gathered from around the traps that most people were getting it from the web, where it's been pulled out of a Fire and posted on a forum. The Digital Reader posted a link. But maybe everyone's getting it off their own Fires, who knows?
i am testing Bookerly primarily on my fire tablet, where amazon placed it, but testing in different reader apps.

I did bring it onto PC via dropbox but only to see if it worked OK in word, which it did. I have no need or use for it in PC apps. there is no obvious way to have Kindle for PC use it.

I would probably test it on my kobo HD, also ,except that my son has that on loan
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2015, 08:04 AM   #18
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekk View Post
That looks really ugly, especially in kepubs, where you will see the faked Italic on every page in the footer.
I suggested removing the BoldItalic variant,, not the Italic. (Bookerly Italics looks *great*.. really what make the font worth having.)

But I'll have to try your method. Especially since, according to GeofR, the Adobe Epub reader won't be able to fake a bolded Italic without the actual font.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:47 AM   #19
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
I suggested removing the BoldItalic variant,, not the Italic. (Bookerly Italics looks *great*.. really what make the font worth having.)
I didn't say otherwise. But removing the BoldItalic variant will result in showing a fake Italic in the kepub footer.

I hope renaming solves the issue for you, but I only tested this for kepubs. Keep in mind that Kepub files are rendered with ACCESS while epubs are rendered with Adobe RMSDK, so the results may differ depending on the engine.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:33 AM   #20
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I didn't say otherwise. But removing the BoldItalic variant will result in showing a fake Italic in the kepub footer.
Huh... my Kepub footer is a) not bold b) Looks correct when bolditalic variant is removed.

We are talking about the single word "of" specifically, right?
Advert
Old 07-19-2015, 05:52 PM   #21
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
We are talking about the single word "of" specifically, right?
We do.

Quote:
Huh... my Kepub footer is a) not bold b) Looks correct when bolditalic variant is removed.
My footer isn't bold either. But the word "of" in the kepub footer will show up with BoldItalic, unless I rename the Bookerly fonts (see the word "von" in Photo_2).

Surely you can just remove the Bookerly BoldItalic. This will result in a "fake" Italic (not Bold), which in my opinion does not look so good. In the kepub footer it's not that annoying and obvious, but the fake Italic is also used in the text. Personally I don't like it next to the regular Bookerly. But of course it's all a matter of personal preferences.

See Photo_1 with renaming the fonts, Italic is OK.
See Photo_2 without renaming. "Von" is shown in BoldItalic (and so is every other Italic text in the book).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_1.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	140386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo_2.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	140387  
Old 07-19-2015, 06:15 PM   #22
rashkae
Wizard

Quote:
We do.

Surely you can just remove the Bookerly BoldItalic. This will result in a "fake" Italic (not Bold), which in my opinion does not look so good. In the kepub footer it's not that annoying and obvious, but the fake Italic is also used in the text. Personally I don't like it next to the regular Bookerly. But of course it's all a matter of personal preferences.

Right, your bold footer is caused by the problem that spawned this entire thread. The italic 'of' is being displayed as BoltItalic instead of just Italic. Removing the BoldItalic variant fixes this problem. It does not resort to fake italic (slanted text), but instead picks the correct Italic font.. The same as your alternate file name version does.

The real question becomes, if I rename BoldItalic to -z, will it actually use the font in the case of real Bold Italic, for both Epubs and kepubs? It's a little awkward to test, since Bold Italic doesn't really look much different (if at all different) from just a .. umm, bolder italic. (that is to say, with a proper Italics file, the Kobo can fake a authentic looking Bold Italic.)

Maybe I just should investigate fixing the real root cause of the problem in the first place
Old 07-19-2015, 08:50 PM   #23
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Or just make a copy of the regular italic version of the font and rename it as BoldItalic. I do that often (but the reverse since I like thicker fonts for my crappy eyes) and it works perfectly.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:02 AM   #24
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

so has any one figured out why these fonts are so troublesome.
surely they should "just work" like any other font set does

have amazon deliberately or accidentally mangled the metadata in a manner that does not affect their own readers but confuses others ?
Old 07-20-2015, 01:15 AM   #25
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
There is nothing mysterious to figure out. But as noone seems to look, I checked metadata: http://screens.muratcansimsek.com/Sc...2008.14.24.png

Files in the iPad app are correct, and they work well. There must be a problem with your source.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:38 AM   #26
cybmole
Wizard

thanks for that, but surely there is only one " source" i.e. what amazon have sent to folks' devices , unless amazon send different files to different devices?

I confess I have lost track of which devices amazon have enabled via OTA updates

....unless some folks are using what's been uploaded to other web sites, though why should anyone alter the files before doing that ?

i guess we need others to repeat your test with their " sources" & upload results

is there anything else within a ttf set that can cause only some devices /apps to glitch ?

PS checking mine, from fire tablet copied to PC, windows font viewer. I see in all 4 cases
Font Name: Bookerly
version 1.0000
open type layout , digitally signed , true type outlines

Last edited by cybmole; 07-20-2015 at 01:43 AM.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:46 AM   #27
cybmole
Wizard

PS but note the disparities in naming conventions, for the 3 sets that I have been copying from device to device:
Startdir is C:\Dropbox\epub related\fonts
|-- \
| |-- Bookerly-Bold.ttf
| |-- Bookerly-BoldItalic.ttf
| |-- Bookerly-Regular.ttf
| |-- Bookerly-RegularItalic.ttf

| |-- Caecilia.ttf
| |-- Caecilia-Bold.ttf
| |-- Caecilia-BoldItalic.ttf
| |-- Caecilia-Italic.ttf

| |-- DroidSerif-Bold.ttf
| |-- DroidSerif-BoldItalic.ttf
| |-- DroidSerif-Italic.ttf
| |-- DroidSerif-Regular.ttf

these names are as found in system font folders, not edited
|
Old 07-20-2015, 12:58 PM   #28
trekk
Terraner

Quote:
The italic 'of' is being displayed as BoltItalic instead of just Italic. Removing the BoldItalic variant fixes this problem. It does not resort to fake italic (slanted text), but instead picks the correct Italic font.
As I already said, removing the BoldItalic did NOT fix this problem for me, because it resorted in a non Bookerly "fake" Italic text. Your experience obviously differs from mine, but as long as everybody is happy with his solution, we should call it a day.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:26 PM   #29
rashkae
Wizard

I've not yet found a solution that works on both Kepub and Epubs, and have pretty much given up. Bookerly is kinda nice, but not *that* nice.

Mostly, it was just an experiment to compare Kobo's font rendering on E-ink vs. Amazon's on the Paperwhite 3. (Short version, Amazon really flubbed this one. Bookerly can look amazing on the Kobo compared to Amazon's devices.)

Now, if only Kobo would create a universal font weight adjustment setting. We know it works on just about any font via hacks or conf file editing, but that doesn't help much on books with embedded fonts. Alas, fonts optimized for e-ink don't look good on LCD devices, and vice versa.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:32 PM   #30
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

GERGE, can you please explain what you changed in TransType to fix this problem (for example in Bookerly)? I'm struggling to understand you. Thanks.
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote