Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-20-2011, 04:32 PM   #1
Dawner
Dawner gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'Dawner gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'Dawner gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'Dawner gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'Dawner gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'Dawner gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'Dawner gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'Dawner gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'Dawner gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'Dawner gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'Dawner gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: iPad & Nook
Free L. Ron Hubbard ebook

Hi, Anyone a fan of L. Ron Hubbard's pulp classics? I downloaded a free copy of If I Were You at Copia and now I'm addicted. What are your favorites?

Follow this link for the free ebook: http://www.thecopia.com/catalog/deta...65279;
Dawner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawner View Post
Hi, Anyone a fan of L. Ron Hubbard's pulp classics? I downloaded a free copy of If I Were You at Copia and now I'm addicted. What are your favorites?

Follow this link for the free ebook: http://www.thecopia.com/catalog/deta...65279;
I find it hard to read anything from the founder of the Church of Scientology.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2011, 01:16 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
He may have been a religious nut, but he was also a decent enough SF writer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:23 AM   #4
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't think he actually believed any of that stuff, he just did it for the money.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:09 AM   #5
linux_author
Connoisseur
linux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanelinux_author makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Nook Touch, N800
there were intimations that Hubbard also had a proclivity for those who were underage - making them 'staff members' on his yacht and forcing them to wear 'uniforms' - he was a real sick puppy, and his evil cult continues to recruit and take advantage of 'members' through a variety of means - locally, down-on-their-luck teenagers manned booths at flea markets, offering 'stress tests,' free massages, and of course, stacks of the book "Dianetics" - a heinous, evil cult that masks itself as a religion
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by linux_author View Post
there were intimations that Hubbard also had a proclivity for those who were underage - making them 'staff members' on his yacht and forcing them to wear 'uniforms' - he was a real sick puppy, and his evil cult continues to recruit and take advantage of 'members' through a variety of means - locally, down-on-their-luck teenagers manned booths at flea markets, offering 'stress tests,' free massages, and of course, stacks of the book "Dianetics" - a heinous, evil cult that masks itself as a religion
... none of which changes the fact that he was an at least half-way decent SF author, and personally I'm happy to be able to read his books. I don't concern myself with the personal lives of authors.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #7
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
But there are so many other authors and so many other books to read, so while I don't go out of my way to research an author's background or personal life, once I know there's something bothersome, I generally do avoid that author.

I overcame this prejudice eventually when it came to Anne Perry, but I don't think I can do so in regard to L. Ron Hubbard.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:41 PM   #8
TheLongshot
Groupie
TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
To be honest, I was reading and enjoying L Ron Hubbard long before I heard of Scientology.
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #9
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I overcame this prejudice eventually when it came to Anne Perry, but I don't think I can do so in regard to L. Ron Hubbard.
I've only read the ones he did in the 80s, Battlefield Earth and Mission Earth. Battlefield I liked, but Mission was full of anti-women, anti-gay propaganda. It would be interesting to see what his older ones are like, but I haven't read any scifi for getting on 20 years now. Except for the new Stainless Steel Rat book last year, and that wasn't as good as I'd hoped it would be.

BTW, the original link doesn't work for me.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #10
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
copia stinks. But if they had Battlefield Earth, or Final Blackout for free, I'd give them "another" chance.

and yeah, the link isn't working for me either...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:14 AM   #11
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Cool Errr................

It's all very well, but don't you need 2 tin cans, a length of curly flex, and a battery to read his books ?

Oh, and contribute a tithe of your income, housedeeds, and your wife and children for all eternity ?

Unless they've already been picked up by the spaceship, of course.....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:32 AM   #12
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm convinced he only "succeeded" with Scientology BECAUSE he's a writer.
A SF writer has to be able to tell you impossible things in a way you want and can believe them.

Of course, at the same time it makes anything they tell you all the more unbelievable, which is why I wonder how so many can believe what he says.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:21 AM   #13
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
I share the same bemusement over the gent who - in the heydays of snake-oil,miracle pills, potions, spurious "spirit contacts" and voices, general wholesale gullibility in "spiritual" matters etc... - wandered up a mountain [or small hill, praps] and, allegedly, came down a bit later with deity-delivered sheets of gold, bearing a message that said he could start a new religion and have a lot of ladies for company..............

Course, I don't expect anyone else was allowed to look at these artifacts, 'cept his mates (male, of course) rather later on.

Daft as a yard-brush ? Nah, just a holy good business man.........

Last edited by carpetmojo; 07-22-2011 at 06:24 AM. Reason: missed a bit....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #14
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Carpet-You are confusing Joseph Smith with L. Ron Hubbard.

Might want to brush up on your "facts" before making such comments...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #15
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I think he was drawing a parallel.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote