Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 10-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #1
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
Imp scripts and wine linux related

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
OK, I'm stuck here!

To use mobi2imp.pl, I started by first setting up eBook Publisher and the imp viewer as per your wiki writeup, and it's working just fine!

I downloaded and installed tompe's mobiperl and used cspan to get the required modules. I couldn't get GD to install, so I had to download and install libgd first (all done using sudo!).

Then I had to move the MobiPerl and Palm libs to /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 for them to be recognized by my ubuntu 8.04 default perl setup! Mobiperl now also works!!!!

OK, how do I use just mobi2imp.pl? If I issue, perl mobi2imp.pl, I get that it couldn't find Win32/OLE.pm.

I think you said you have to install ActivePerl under wine to use your opf2imp.pl script above. Is that right, I have to download the windows version of ActivePerl and install under wine, even though I already have perl installed on this linux box?

I just want to get your script and my mobi2imp.pl working, but both are missing the OLE.pm. It's not possible to just copy OLE.PM to the linux installation, right?

I issued your wine command above, but it complained that perl.exe could not be found, hence the need for ActivePerl to be installed there using wine, right?

Sorry for all the basic questions, but I'm learning this as I go.

Oh where to start to help you become just another of the red haired step children of the linux world trying to run windows only apps....

OK, first you are right the windows version of perl needs to be installed using wine. But there are a couple of twists that you need to be aware of first. So if you look in your home directory there will be a hidden subdirectory named .wine That's where all of the settings and the fake C: drive are. So to get the command line scripts and impmake for that matter to work you will need to set up another hidden directory with some slightly different settings. This new directory is where you want to install perl. To get this new directory just change the WINEPREFIX environment variable to what you want the new directory called and start wine. Open a terminal and enter this.
Code:
WINEPREFIX=/home/yourname/.winenew
wine regedit
That will set the WINEPREFIX variable to .winenew the next line starts the regedit program but wine will see the new value for WINEPREFIX and create everything in there you need. You can just close regedit but its a useful command to remember as you can change the windows PATH variable with it and other things.

Anyway now that you have your second fake windows ready to go you can follow ashkulz's instructions from the impmake thread except for the part about remove or backup your wine folder. As long as the WINEPREFIX var is set wine will know where to do what you want.
Quote:
To get it working in WINE, you'll need to perform the following:
Remove or backup your existing wine folder (e.g. using rm -fR ~/.wine)
Download winetricks and run "sh winetricks vcrun6"
Install eBook Publisher
run "sh winetricks dcom98" and click Yes twice.
Wine wiki winetricks page
Actual link for winetricks script

This will break the gui portion of eBook Publisher in the .winenew directory but will allow you to run the command line tools from here, you still have a working install in the old .wine directory. See where changing WINEPREFIX starts to come into play?

After that is setup then go ahead and install your copy of ActiveState perl for windows in the .winenew directory.
Code:
wine ActivePerl_blah.exe
Now you should be able to run perl and get it to cough up its version etc.
Code:
wine perl -v

This is perl, v5.8.8 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
(with 18 registered patches, see perl -V for more detail)

Copyright 1987-2007, Larry Wall

Binary build 822 [280952] provided by ActiveState http://www.ActiveState.com
Built Jul 31 2007 19:34:48

Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License or the
GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.

Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on
this system using "man perl" or "perldoc perl".  If you have access to the
Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.org/, the Perl Home Page.
Once you get that you are ready to run some windows perl scripts. If you can figure out how to get ActiveStates module installer to work under wine please share. That is what has stopped me from using any of these scripts from under wine and prompted me to write the short script that I did to create imps using the opf file.

I think I hit all of the high points if I missed something sorry just prod me and I will help with whatever I can.
:

Main Wine site
Wine Wiki
Wine Commands

Last edited by derrell; 10-22-2008 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Added some links.
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:00 PM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrell View Post
Oh where to start to help you become just another of the red haired step children of the linux world trying to run windows only apps....
Oh, BTW, when my hair is not gray, it's not red either, just light brown!

Thanks, a lot for this, derrell!

I'll be trying it out soon, so I may return....
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Well at least it sounds as though you still have most of your hair. Mine sadly seems to have migrated elsewhere.

I'm off to bed so I'll check back before I head to work tonight and see if any questions came up.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well at least it sounds as though you still have most of your hair. Mine sadly seems to have migrated elsewhere.

I'm off to bed so I'll check back before I head to work tonight and see if any questions came up.
ex-nay on the most-nay! In a word or three: MPB!
Old 10-22-2008, 10:53 PM   #5
nrapallo

Quote:
Open a terminal and enter this.
Code:
WINEPREFIX=/home/yourname/.winenew
wine regedit
That will set the WINEPREFIX variable to .winenew the next line starts the regedit program but wine will see the new value for WINEPREFIX and create everything in there you need. You can just close regedit but its a useful command to remember as you can change the windows PATH variable with it and other things.
OK, this is where I first got stuck. I forgot to change 'yourname' to my name!!!! To those that may try this just use: WINEPREFIX=~/.winenew

Quote:
Anyway now that you have your second fake windows ready to go you can follow ashkulz's instructions from the impmake thread except for the part about remove or backup your wine folder. As long as the WINEPREFIX var is set wine will know where to do what you want.

Wine wiki winetricks page
Actual link for winetricks script

This will break the gui portion of eBook Publisher in the .winenew directory but will allow you to run the command line tools from here, you still have a working install in the old .wine directory. See where changing WINEPREFIX starts to come into play?

After that is setup then go ahead and install your copy of ActiveState perl for windows in the .winenew directory.
Code:
wine ActivePerl_blah.exe
I got stuck here also, as I knew I wanted to install ActivePerl 5.8.8 build 820 per tompe's mobiperl warnings since that installation has everything he needed WORKING; maybe PAR.pm works there!

But, I'll never know since I couldn't find a .exe to install, just a .msi that needs 'Windows Script Hosting' installed (WSH.exe) but it's not available anymore on the web!!!

I tried: sh winetricks wsh56, but it aborted with an advpack.dll error popup!

I'm really stuck here. Could you check to see if you did something else here?

I know that this thing is hit-and-miss, but IF we can get it working consistently, then that may spark more .imp development for linux users. I mean two out of three developers in this forum use linux computers...

Hey, ashkulz, any thoughts, thoughts, thoughts, ...
Old 10-23-2008, 01:30 AM   #6
derrell
Jack O' Apes

Sorry about the exe command. I used the msi as well just forgot about it. There is a command listed on the wine commands link above that might work. I think I used microsofts msi installer but dont remeber for sure. But then I installed a standard perl package. Sorry about the ambiguity in the commands. Wasnt sure of how comfortable you were with the linux command line. As far as the widows scripting goes Im sure it is still out there somewhere if you really need it. Posting from my phone sort of sucks so I'll look at this some more when I get home.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:00 AM   #7
nrapallo

Quote:
Sorry about the exe command. I used the msi as well just forgot about it. There is a command listed on the wine commands link above that might work. I think I used microsofts msi installer but dont remeber for sure. But then I installed a standard perl package.
It's OK, that's what I used to install the .msi, the msiexec.exe. Just that it started but somehow couldn't find an installed Windows Scripting Host, so the install just aborts.

Quote:
Sorry about the ambiguity in the commands. Wasnt sure of how comfortable you were with the linux command line.
Not very familiar, but I'm a quick study (and thanks to your great write-ups!). I used a lot of unix comands, some 20+ years ago, when getting my computer science degree, so I understand the basic commands.

Quote:
As far as the widows scripting goes Im sure it is still out there somewhere if you really need it. Posting from my phone sort of sucks so I'll look at this some more when I get home.
Thanks, I'll search some more.
Old 10-23-2008, 12:24 PM   #8
derrell
Jack O' Apes

Haven't found an answer yet. But I did verify that perl 5.8.8-822 does install with
Code:
msiexec /i ActivePerl-5.8.8.822-MSWin32-x86-280952.msi
and 820 wants windows script host.

I did find wsh at this link but it doesn't install complaining about not being able to find a place to extract.

Tried installing wsh56 with winetricks but it doesn't install because of a problem with advpack.dll.

Is there enough difference between the two versions of perl 820 and 822 to make a difference? I wouldn't think there would be but I've been wrong before.

For reference if anyone is interested here is the link for the different versions of ActiveState perl for win32.

Last edited by derrell; 10-23-2008 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Added perl link
Old 10-24-2008, 08:55 AM   #9
nrapallo

Quote:
Haven't found an answer yet. But I did verify that perl 5.8.8-822 does install with
Code:
msiexec /i ActivePerl-5.8.8.822-MSWin32-x86-280952.msi
and 820 wants windows script host.
Finally, through trial and error, I got build 820 to install properly. However, it's perl package manager (ppm) is broken under wine so I couldn't get mobi2imp.pl to work.

Here is what I've learnt works:
  1. You seem to need the WINEPREFIX=~/.winenew on the same line as the first call to create the new settings. i.e
    Code:
     WINEPREFIX=~/.winenew wine regedit
  2. Next command to issue, to solve the Window Scripting Hosting issue, is sh winetricks wsh56. This will also install the vcrun6 in the process! Again, just need:
    Code:
    sh winetricks wsh56
  3. Next, to install the perl 5.8.8 build 820, issue:
    Code:
    wine start ActivePerl-5.8.8.820-MSWin32-x86-274739.msi
  4. the last two commands to issue are ones that "break" things in wine. Install eBook Publisher next (as this one broke the wsh56 install and any install that requires advpack.dll, even vcrun6 if issued before it!) with:
    Code:
     wine Win_eBookPub_2.2.5.exe
  5. lastly, issue: sh winetricks dcom98 (this one breaks the eBook Publisher GUI, as you have indicated before, but also doesn't seem to allow an second install of eBook Publisher! Again, at the end, you would issue:
    Code:
    sh winetricks dcom98

Quote:
Is there enough difference between the two versions of perl 820 and 822 to make a difference? I wouldn't think there would be but I've been wrong before.

For reference if anyone is interested here is the link for the different versions of ActiveState perl for win32.
I don't think it matters, they all don't seem to work for mobi2imp.pl. Now to hunt for one combination that does, using your link to the ActivePerl older versions (and maybe newer ones!)

I do get the Mobi2IMP-installer to properly setup the program, and can even launch the GUI, but the Mobi2IMP.exe built using pp (par) is broken under wine!!! So no go here!

HOWEVER, perl scripts like your opf2imp.pl should now work as well as the many perl scripts I created earlier this year (see sticky Using perl scripts to produce .IMP ebooks and more)

Round One, has been won!

Last edited by nrapallo; 10-24-2008 at 09:00 AM. Reason: typos
Old 10-24-2008, 09:59 AM   #10
derrell
Jack O' Apes

Quote:
HOWEVER, perl scripts like your opf2imp.pl should now work as well as the many perl scripts I created earlier this year (see sticky Using perl scripts to produce .IMP ebooks and more)
As long as the script doesn't need any extra perl modules installed. That was why I started looking at doing most of the stuff in linux where I can install any modules that I may need. Then just use wine for the bare minimum of creating the imp file. The command line parts of calibre and the mobiperl tools as well as convert lit are quite happy to run under linux. eBook Publisher is the only real sticking point.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:47 PM   #11
nrapallo

Quote:
As long as the script doesn't need any extra perl modules installed. That was why I started looking at doing most of the stuff in linux where I can install any modules that I may need. Then just use wine for the bare minimum of creating the imp file. The command line parts of calibre and the mobiperl tools as well as convert lit are quite happy to run under linux. eBook Publisher is the only real sticking point.
Well, I finally got mobi2imp.pl to properly create a .imp using wine in linux (ubuntu 8.04)!

I cheated though. I realized that the ppm is broken when using ActivePerl for Windows (build 820) and wine, but I have that setup working on my WinXP computer.

Sooooooo, I just copied the site/lib directory from my WinXP computer's Perl setup (as described by tompe on this mobiperl dev hub website) to the .winenew (I called it .wineimp) c:/Perl/site/lib and Presto, all works (sort of).

See attached site-lib.zip below for MY local perl modules to make Mobi2IMP work. Just place the contents in the site/lib in C:\Perl of your wine installation of the ActivePerl 5.8.8 (build 820).

While I did get a valid .imp, I did get some error messages that may or may not be important. I couldn't use the wine viewer for some strange reason, but I attach that .imp here for testing purposes. It displays fine on my WinXP computer.

Round two has been won!
Attached Files
File Type: zip site-lib.zip (2.31 MB, 656 views)
File Type: imp Mobipocket - Space Encyclopedia.imp (168.5 KB, 858 views)
File Type: zip SpaceEncyclopedia.zip (420.1 KB, 673 views)
File Type: mobi SpaceEncyclopedia.mobi (369.9 KB, 828 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 10-31-2008 at 02:03 PM. Reason: replaced corrupt Space Encyclopedia.zip attachment
Old 10-31-2008, 02:08 PM   #12
nrapallo

I think I have corrupted my .imp viewer setup under wine as I cannot open the .imp attachment in the previous post.

Can anyone report if they can view that .imp generated in linux/ubuntu on a non-windows computer?
Old 10-31-2008, 04:53 PM   #13
derrell
Jack O' Apes

yep the imp opens. As a general rule of thumb though its usually easier not to put spaces in linux file names. Some apps handle them just fine escaping the spaces correctly and some just refuse to do anything with them.

I realize that doesn't really have much to do with this particular instance but thought I would throw it out there from my personal experience.

---- and one more edit ----

When I read your solution to the whole perl module thing all I could think was doh!!!!!!
Should have thought of that myself nice job.

Last edited by derrell; 10-31-2008 at 04:57 PM. Reason: thinking faster than I can type