Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 06-09-2022, 02:17 PM   #1291
WEricBr
WEricBr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Just downloaded the latest version from the link, and it appears that the KindleUnpack_ReadMe.htm needs to be updated as far as the Python version goes.

From the KindleUnpack_ReadMe.htm file:
The KindleUnpack program requires Python 2.6 or 2.7 to function properly.
WEricBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 02:19 PM   #1292
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WEricBr View Post
Just downloaded the latest version from the link, and it appears that the KindleUnpack_ReadMe.htm needs to be updated as far as the Python version goes.

From the KindleUnpack_ReadMe.htm file:
The KindleUnpack program requires Python 2.6 or 2.7 to function properly.
I suggest you post this as an issue on the Github.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 04:08 PM   #1293
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
First post updated to point strongly to github.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 03:08 AM   #1294
GranSenser
Member Retired
GranSenser began at the beginning.

Device: KindleForPC
What is the difference between books with and without apnx?
I thought that all ebooks that have a paper version would have apnx, but this does not seem to be the case.
GranSenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 04:40 AM   #1295
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GranSenser View Post
What is the difference between books with and without apnx?
I thought that all ebooks that have a paper version would have apnx, but this does not seem to be the case.
The difference is that eBooks without an apnx file don't have page numbers on supported Kindles.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 05:12 AM   #1296
GranSenser
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
The difference is that eBooks without an apnx file don't have page numbers on supported Kindles.
Sorry, I didn't ask the question well.
Why are some books with apnx and some without?
I thought all ebooks that had a paper version present had apnx, but that does not seem to be the case.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-22-2022, 06:28 AM   #1297
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
It is generally up to the publisher to provide the markup in the source file for the Kindle edition that indicates what content corresponds to each printed page in one specific print edition of the book.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 07:06 AM   #1298
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
KindleUnpack only uses an apnx file if one is given to it by the user. Whether or not a particular book has an apnx file is not really relevant to KindleUnpack. In other words... what's the KindleUnpack question/issue?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-22-2022 at 08:00 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:49 PM   #1299
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Sorry, I didn't ask the question well.
I thought all ebooks that had a paper version present had apnx, but that does not seem to be the case.

Thanks in advance.
You still haven't provided enough information to know what this has to do with kindleunpack.

A dual mobi might or might not have apnx like information for kindleunpack to split out.

As DiapDealer wrote you have to supply an apnx file for kindleunpack to make an EPUB containing page-map.xml from KF7/mobi KF8/azw3.

For books delivered by amazon, there may or may not be an apnx file to deliver and even if there is amazon server glitchyness may cause it to not be delivered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
It is generally up to the publisher to provide the markup in the source file for the Kindle edition that indicates what content corresponds to each printed page in one specific print edition of the book.
I have seen books where the HTML has no pagination information but an apnx file was delivered and books with pagination information but no apnx file delivered and page numbers not touted on the ebook product page. (The product page listing is not completely reliable regarding page numbers and x-ray even taking into account server glitchyness.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
KindleUnpack only uses an apnx file if one is given to it by the user. Whether or not a particular book has an apnx file is not really relevant to KindleUnpack. In other words... what's the KindleUnpack question/issue?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 01:12 PM   #1300
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Page numbers matching paper are only really relevant for text books and reference. Pointless for most fiction.
Most Kindle fiction I've bought has no apnx, even though almost all of it has paper versions.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 04:29 AM   #1301
GranSenser
Member Retired

Thanks for the various responses.
I understand that the apnx distributed by amazon is from the publisher, but I don't know if it will be distributed or not or any details.
I think I understand to some extent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Page numbers matching paper are only really relevant for text books and reference. Pointless for most fiction.
Most Kindle fiction I've bought has no apnx, even though almost all of it has paper versions.
What about practical books?
As for fiction, I've been looking into it myself. I also checked and found that there are a few cases where "JapaneseLightNovel" comes with apnx.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:24 AM   #1302
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
This does not seem to be a KindleUnpack topic. Please take this conversation to an appropriate thread (or start a new one.). Thank you.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 06:15 PM   #1303
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
azw3 + azw6

As near as I can tell KindleUnpack does not have capability to unpack images from an azw6 file that accompaniesan azw3 file.

There is a DumpAZW6 utility in post #1145 of this thread that extracts jpeg and wdp images from an azw6 file to a azw6_images directory. Choryu Park used that as a basis for a patched DeDRM that merges azw.res and azw file pair from K4PC into a unified azw3.
https://github.com/apprenticeharper/...ols/issues/483
https://github.com/choryuidentify/De...v6.6.3-patched

Code from the above was used to make a separate calibre plugin

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=343768

I can't run K4PC, the above plugin does not work for me with azw3/axw6 delivered to kindles, and anyway I would prefer to use KindleUnpack from CLI to unpack an azw3 azw6 combo into an EPUB.

I am hoping the the above is enough raw material that it would be easy for a KindleUnpack developer add an option to incorporate the images from an azw6 file while unpacking an azw3 file.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 09:22 AM   #1304
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
KindleUnpack will unpack hdimages when they are part of the kf8 container that holds the book. You can even control whether they overwrite the low res images.

When the HDImage container is stripped out into its own file. You can use the DumpAZW6 script I wrote to get access to them and decide if you want to use them to replace the lower res images. Replacing the images is quite easy in calibre or sigil.

The reason that it was not integrated into KindleUnpack is that these hd images in separate azw6 containers can be in windows only graphic file formats that python and epub does *not* support.

This is why this is limited to Kindle for PC and not all kindle readers.

So I recommend just manually dumping the AZW6 contents and looking at the images to decide if you want to use them or not in the unpacked epub. And then replace them using Sigil or calibre.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote