Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-25-2008, 01:56 PM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Okay--sorry, everyone. I'll be uploading yet another corrected version tomorrow. In working on Strange Attractors (book 2), I finally learned how to search for hidden text in Word. (It's a font attribute.) Went back and found still more in Neptune Crossing. (Leftover comment-to-self text from the old WordStar files.)

What a nuisance.
Any other corrections other then the ones I already know of? Because if not, I'm ready to generate the LRF and send it to you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:57 PM   #47
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
I've been weighing whether to make this a free download, too, and I think the answer will probably be yes (that's not a promise, but it's how I'm leaning). Partly to publicize the book, and partly because I think frankly it's the only way to have an ebook at all, in any reasonable time frame.
Consider the "shareware" approach. Make the book(s) freely available as e-books, and if someone wishes to pay you for them, you will accept payments via PayPal.

I will gladly pay for any e-book I enjoy reading.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #48
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Any other corrections other then the ones I already know of? Because if not, I'm ready to generate the LRF and send it to you.
I did find more hidden text, yes. I finally discovered that I could seek-and-destroy hidden text by searching for the font attribute of "hidden text." I don't know if that works in RTF or not; I was in doc mode. I think they were all in Chapter 15, but won't swear to that. It was late and I was tired.

I think I also found a 4th instance of // where /// was intended, but that was after I'd reuploaded, and I was cleaning up a different archive file. In that case, I finally did a search for ^p//_ (where the underscore is a space).

Thanks again.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:54 PM   #49
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Consider the "shareware" approach. Make the book(s) freely available as e-books, and if someone wishes to pay you for them, you will accept payments via PayPal.

I will gladly pay for any e-book I enjoy reading.
Thank you.

I have a Paypal donation button up already, and in fact I received my first donation last night. From someone who'd never read my stuff but liked what I was doing.

And he learned about my downloads from the Amazon Kindle forum, which I didn't even know existed.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #50
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I'd like to express that I'm very impressed with all you're doing to get your books into a good ebook form, and I hope the people who think that it should be trivial to convert backlists to ebooks are noting the effort you're having to put into this.

For books you decide not to simply give away, I'd advise against the shareware model, but instead set prices reasonably low and offer a no-questions-asked money-back guarantee. The reason is that even with the best of intentions, people tend to forget to pay for something if it's a second step after the book is completed, whereas if they really feel they deserve their money back, they're more likely to remember (but likely to consider whether it's worthwhile before bothering to ask for a refund). I highly doubt you'll get anyone bothering to download a book and ask for their money back even if they still intend to read the book.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2008, 05:08 PM   #51
Robotech_Master
Fanatic
Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robotech_Master ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Certainly if you do go the shareware route, be sure and put a notice at the end of the page suggesting that if you liked this book, drop some coins in the cup.
Robotech_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:28 PM   #52
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech_Master View Post
Certainly if you do go the shareware route, be sure and put a notice at the end of the page suggesting that if you liked this book, drop some coins in the cup.
I agree with the "shareware" concept... but I disagree with the implementation. The truth is, most people didn't pay for shareware... not because they don't like the software or think it's worth it... just because they have no motivation.

So, a shareware book should be perhaps the first 3 or 4 chapters for free. You want to read the rest, you pay for the book. I think you will get alot more compliance... and also, the better books, the books that grab you right away are the ones that will be bought.

(Amazon sort of does this with it's samples, but I think some of its samples are too short.)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:35 PM   #53
Joerg_Mosthaf
Connoisseur
Joerg_Mosthaf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2i, iPhone
Hi - just wanted to drop in and say - I am half-way through Neptune Crossing and really like it so far. I liked it so much that I "tipped" you and bought the first available Star Rigger book at fictionwise (Star Rigger's Way)
That'll tide me over until, oh about thursday
So get on with the next Chaos Chronicles book
Pretty please
Joerg_Mosthaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:23 PM   #54
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joerg_Mosthaf View Post
I liked it so much that I "tipped" you and bought the first available Star Rigger book at fictionwise (Star Rigger's Way)
I just saw your tip, and thank you very much! You're my first international tipper! (And the second tipper period.) And thanks for picking up SRW. If you like the star rigger universe, I'd read Dragons in the Stars after that.

And I'm a'workin' on the next book. My house elves (wife and daughters) entered a bunch of copy edits last night. Birthday present, today being the day I'm a year older. (Wiser? Hm, maybe not so much.)

Old 08-25-2008, 06:33 PM   #55
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
I just zapped some moolah your way, Mr. Carver. I like your style!

Tim
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:33 PM   #56
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

An ebook of Sunborn would be more than anything else promotion for the print edition. If I had an easy way to offer the ebook for sale at a reasonable price, I'd probably do that. But I don't. I'm not going to build a shopping cart on my web site, at this point. I could offer it through Amazon's Kindle program, but that's just one format. All the ways I can think of to sell it would involve either long delays or major hassles.

Same problem with offering a few chapters and click-to-buy. I wouldn't begin to know how to implement that.

The shareware model, however flawed, may be the only practical approach.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:45 PM   #57
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
You could host it here, I'm sure. We already have an extensive e-book library. And you could post in the associated thread a link to your PayPal "donate" button, along with a suggested price.

While I cannot speak for the book-buying public as a whole, I think I know MobileRead well enough to predict you'd get a very good percentage of downloaders willing to pay the price.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:51 PM   #58
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
I just zapped some moolah your way, Mr. Carver. I like your style!

Tim
Thanks! You guys are great.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:49 PM   #59
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
An ebook of Sunborn would be more than anything else promotion for the print edition. If I had an easy way to offer the ebook for sale at a reasonable price, I'd probably do that. But I don't. I'm not going to build a shopping cart on my web site, at this point. I could offer it through Amazon's Kindle program, but that's just one format. All the ways I can think of to sell it would involve either long delays or major hassles.

Same problem with offering a few chapters and click-to-buy. I wouldn't begin to know how to implement that.

The shareware model, however flawed, may be the only practical approach.
Shop it to Baen as an e-Book. Heck, shop your entire back-list to them. I'd probably buy them all. They've got the infrastructure. They have loyal customers -- a decent-sized customer base. They say that e-Sales run a noticeable fraction of paper these days (20% or so sticks in my mind, but that may be wrong). I don't know how backlist stuff does in comparison, but it seems to do at least well enough for them to keep coming out with e-Editions of "good old stuff."

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:17 PM   #60
Joerg_Mosthaf
Connoisseur
Joerg_Mosthaf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2i, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
Shop it to Baen as an e-Book. Heck, shop your entire back-list to them. I'd probably buy them all. They've got the infrastructure. They have loyal customers -- a decent-sized customer base. They say that e-Sales run a noticeable fraction of paper these days (20% or so sticks in my mind, but that may be wrong). I don't know how backlist stuff does in comparison, but it seems to do at least well enough for them to keep coming out with e-Editions of "good old stuff."
Seconded. I would also very likely buy them - I love Webscription Just make some bundles (like Hamiltons Starwolves and the Interstellar Patrol Series) and they'll probably sell like hotcakes

btw - I just finished Neptune Crossing and loved it! Now off to play some Mass Effect to distract me from the wait for the next book

Oh and - Happy Birthday

Last edited by Joerg_Mosthaf; 08-25-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Joerg_Mosthaf is offline   Reply With Quote