Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 03-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360 Plus, Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
Smile Succeeded in permanently changing to my own wallpaper on ROOTED KF

I followed the directions on this web site:

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/19875...ally-changing/

Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope View Post

Hooray!
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
Hope
Zealot
Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beej231 View Post
Hooray!
When most of the people in the world are living on less than a dollar a day, this seems to be such a frivolous goal; but I am very happy about it nonetheless.

Hope it helps someone else.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
When most of the people in the world are living on less than a dollar a day, this seems to be such a frivolous goal; but I am very happy about it nonetheless.

Hope it helps someone else.

I had see that somewhere but couldn't make it work--now I realize you have to be rooted. <sigh> Hey, little things make a difference sometimes! I find that a lot of these things are like a puzzle that you just NEED to solve.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
dacarlson
Enthusiast
dacarlson began at the beginning.

Device: K1,K2, KF
Quote:

Several of the 80 year olds in my little group are demanding that I do this for them. Some of the stock backgrounds are hard on the eyes and make it hard to find the app icons if they are using an alternate launcher. If the next update breaks root, I would have so many to fix. I don't want this to become a full time job.
dacarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
dacarlson
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacarlson View Post
Several of the 80 year olds in my little group are demanding that I do this for them. Some of the stock backgrounds are hard on the eyes and make it hard to find the app icons if they are using an alternate launcher. If the next update breaks root, I would have so many to fix. I don't want this to become a full time job.
It's my own fault, I suggested that they do some reading about their devices. Apparently they did.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
beej231
Addict

Quote:
It's my own fault, I suggested that they do some reading about their devices. Apparently they did.
Haha. My Mom died last year at 86 and had never seen the internet except at my house. You have a savvy group.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
Hope
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by beej231 View Post
I had see that somewhere but couldn't make it work--now I realize you have to be rooted. <sigh> Hey, little things make a difference sometimes! I find that a lot of these things are like a puzzle that you just NEED to solve.
Sorry, I originally posted by mistake that the device was unrooted. I corrected the post shortly after it was posted after I noticed the error.
AND I wound up using File Expert instead of ES Explorer because I couldn't figure out how to change permissions in ES Explorer.
Other than that....
Old 03-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #9
Hope
Zealot

Quote:
There's an app which enables you to put the device back to rooted in a couple of clicks after an update unroots it. It's called OTA RootKeeper at the Android Market web site...free app.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #10
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
I have effectively achieved the same result on my NON rooted KF with GL and rotating wall paper.

I just picked about four or five really nice wall papers from free wall paper sites
and placed Multiple copies of each one in the RW cue.

set rotating wall papers for infrequent rotation
and I never see the Amazon stock walls even during login/screen unlock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	apple.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	83460   Click image for larger version

Name:	applew.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	83461   Click image for larger version

Name:	bubbles.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	83462   Click image for larger version

Name:	vertical.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	83463  
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:06 AM   #11
Hope
Zealot

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
I have effectively achieved the same result on my NON rooted KF with GL and rotating wall paper
I just picked about four or five really nice wall papers from free wall paper sites

Good discovery!

With the Rotating Wallpaper app, I was still seeing the KF stock wallpaper at lock/unlock and it was taking up 12% of resources so I was glad to be able to turn it off. It decreased battery life by a pretty significant amount.

Beautiful wallpapers! Mac fan, eh? All my children are now Mac fans and if Bee thinks we are obsessed with our apps, she should see how IPad fans collect apps - worse than us. Macs rock, and it's just the fact that I can never justify outlaying the money for them that I have never bought one (and the fact that I play a lot of PC games).

Last edited by Hope; 03-05-2012 at 05:10 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:30 AM   #12
beej231
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
I have effectively achieved the same result on my NON rooted KF with GL and rotating wall paper.

Those are nice. When I had my pretty wallpaper, I used RW with just one set to rotate at whatever the smallest time interval was. Loved it.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #13
beej231
Addict

Quote:
Good discovery!

With the Rotating Wallpaper app, I was still seeing the KF stock wallpaper at lock/unlock and it was taking up 12% of resources so I was glad to be able to turn it off. It decreased battery life by a pretty significant amount.

Beautiful wallpapers! Mac fan, eh? All my children are now Mac fans and if Bee thinks we are obsessed with our apps, she should see how IPad fans collect apps - worse than us. Macs rock, and it's just the fact that I can never justify outlaying the money for them that I have never bought one (and the fact that I play a lot of PC games).
I see the iPads at work, filled with apps. I love my Mac. Wouldn't go back. I laid the money out once, it lasted forever and then replaced it last year. Now my grandkids use the old one. The only game I cared about was World of Warcraft which does quite nicely on the mac. Boring now but I loved it for 6 years. I need to find the Next Big Thing.<g>
Old 03-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #14
dacarlson
Enthusiast

Quote:
There's an app which enables you to put the device back to rooted in a couple of clicks after an update unroots it. It's called OTA RootKeeper at the Android Market web site...free app.
Thanks. I'll look into that.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:15 PM   #15
dacarlson
Enthusiast

Quote:
Good discovery!

I am indeed seeing the KF stock wallpaper appear now and then. grrr