Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-01-2020, 12:54 PM   #1
2scre
Zealot
2scre began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Getting started on Moon Reader

I like that there is more selection of fonts, but when I imported an ePub file that I made from Dropbox, the book shows as "unknown" and doesn't show on "myshelf".

By the way, does Moon Reader have ability to categorize into many shelves like you can make collections in Kindle app?

I also noticed that when first highlight and want to extend the highlight, you have to delete the highlight and do it over again, whereas I can just press and extend for Kindle app. Is there a way to do that on Moon Reader as well?

Last edited by 2scre; 07-01-2020 at 12:58 PM.
2scre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:53 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I use Calibre to convert my Kindle books to epub and I always embed the Bookerly font so I can use that in Moon+. I have Moon+ set to use the embedded font. It can also be set to use whatever fonts you like, although I haven't really played with that.

If it shows up as unknown it's probably because you haven't put anything in the metadata. I put the title and author and number of pages and a description in metadata so I have access to that from within Moon+. I also download my books from Dropbox I put them in my micro SD card and load them from there. They appear in the Files section of Moon+ using the file name until I load them and then they'll appear in the recent list. I've never really looked at My Files so I don't know how that works.

I'm not sure about shelves. I don't use collections much on the Kindle so I've never really looked into shelves in Moon+. I like things alpha by author.

The highlights work for me pretty much the same way as they work in the Kindle app. You might have some setting changed that makes them work differently.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2020, 10:19 PM   #3
2scre
Zealot

Do you of any other forums where people might be able to share their experiences with Moon Reader?
Old 07-06-2020, 08:10 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Of the forums I know about this is the one where Moon+ is most often discussed.

Barry
Old 07-10-2020, 03:30 PM   #5
Tortuosit
Enthusiast
Tortuosit began at the beginning.

Device: Huawei Mate 20 X
Moon+ loves to wrap closing " or ' into the next line. The only, but important reason why I don't use it for reading currently. It annoys me massively.
Tortuosit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2020, 04:50 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The bet way to start with Moon Reader is to delete it and find program that actually works properly for ePub. The Pocketbook app has been suggested by others as an ePub reading app that works well and Moon Read as one that's lousy.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:39 PM   #7
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The bet way to start with Moon Reader is to delete it and find program that actually works properly for ePub. The Pocketbook app has been suggested by others as an ePub reading app that works well and Moon Read as one that's lousy.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:17 PM   #8
barryem
Wizard

I'd never claim that Moon+ or any other app is perfect but this is as close to a perfect ereading app as I've found and I've tried a LOT of them.

I don't know about closing or's or even what those might be but I find it easy to read on this app and I do it every day.

Barry
Old 07-14-2020, 03:57 PM   #9
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I don't know about closing or's or even what those might be
Moon+ sometimes displays the closing double-quote or single-quote of a dialogue on the next line. I don't think it's a Moon+ issue, but rather a malformed epub issue. Perhaps there is a blank space between the punctuation mark and the closing quote.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 07:10 PM   #10
barryem
Wizard

I've been using Moon+ Pro for a number of years and this past year or two I've read on it almost exclusively. I have Kindles, Kobos and Nooks but I've been reading mainly on my phone. I've never noticed a quote being on the wrong page but I'm usually focused on content when I'm reading and it might be that I just didn't notice it. With any luck I'll continue not to notice it so I can keep enjoying my books.

I'm a pretty old guy and I've always loved music and I listened to music for years before the invention of hifi. Anybody remember that term? These days nearly everything is hifi. I listened to old, not that clear speakers on radios that had to be carefully adjusted to get rid of most of the static, but of course we never could get rid of all of it. Then came hifi and radios that went from station to station at the push of a button so the sound was much improved. I loved that. But soon I noticed nobody was talking about the music anymore. They were talking about the quality of the speakers or the amplifier. All my music loving friends kind of forgot about music, or so it seemed to me, and became hifi buffs.

Barry
Old 07-17-2020, 12:18 PM   #11
Tortuosit
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
Moon+ sometimes displays the closing double-quote or single-quote of a dialogue on the next line. I don't think it's a Moon+ issue, but rather a malformed epub issue. Perhaps there is a blank space between the punctuation mark and the closing quote.
No it is not this obvious. I guess it rather is a problem deeper buried in a html display library they use. Least I can say it happens too often, and he does not do anything about it.
I often read with Pocketreader or Librera Pro. They have other issues, but the reading part is alright for me.

Edit: See attachment. A random book and quickly I found an occurence. I've reported it twice already.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200717_182020.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	889.0 KB
ID:	180718  

Last edited by Tortuosit; 07-17-2020 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:04 AM   #12
2scre
Zealot

Quote:
I often read with Pocketreader or Librera Pro. They have other issues, but the reading part is alright for me.
What are the other issues they have?
Old 10-11-2020, 04:08 AM   #13
2scre
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I've been using Moon+ Pro for a number of years and this past year or two I've read on it almost exclusively. I have Kindles, Kobos and Nooks but I've been reading mainly on my phone.
Why have you been mainly reading on phone?
I've been thinking of getting a dedicated ereader but is phone better than ereader for reading eBooks?
Old 10-12-2020, 03:19 AM   #14
2scre
Zealot

(deleted)

Last edited by 2scre; 10-12-2020 at 03:19 AM. Reason: repetition of same thing
Old 10-16-2020, 05:06 AM   #15
Tortuosit
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2scre View Post
What are the other issues they have?
Awww, just try them. I uninstalled Pocketreader... E.g. it made invalid hyphenation (like A-utobahn). Also there were problems with settings not being able to revert.
As for Librera, I use it mostly meanwhile. The UI is a bit weird, e.g. those windows (for the ToC etc.) are not great, font changes do not auto apply on changing etc etc. (it rather reloads the whole book) But after all, most of the time I am reading and rendering is done well.

As for "Phone is better" - depends, probably. I have an OLED screen and with help of Tasker geekery, I am able to supress all distractions while reading. Perfect solution for me. No need for a limited ereader. I can just sync files via SMB to my windows computer, Total Commander rocks on Android as well as on PC, everything is fine.

As for rendering issues as I continuously reported for Moon+ - I think it's a problem... The devs seem to use some ready to use libraries and can't do much about it.

Last edited by Tortuosit; 10-16-2020 at 05:11 AM.