Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-11-2015, 02:53 PM   #1
Doranwen
Enthusiast
Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none, sadly, they all died
Larger e-reader for my dad

I've finally got my dad thinking that an e-reader might be a good idea (so he doesn't have to take these big piles of books on trips!). There are a few features I know he will want:

1. Larger size (I have an Onyx Boox - Firefly; too small for him, particularly given he'd use a larger font size than my default); he has large hands and fingers and tiny buttons/screens are not going to be his thing
2. Decent hdd space, not reserved for any store (bonus if one can insert some sort of SD/microSD card to add to or replace the library)
3. PDF reading capability (as well as epub; others not as important, due to Calibre); actually displays pdfs well (he doesn't read newspapers, but there are many other pdfs, some with reflowable text and some of pics scanned, that he would like to read that way; obviously the scanned pic versions would just need the large screen and ability to zoom in)
4. Ability to organize books on the e-reader the way he wants (either by folder browsing as on a computer, or something else); the idea of trying to find one of 50 different non-fiction books, none of which the authors are familiar names . . . is daunting; even by title, if they're all mixed in with books of an entirely different topic, is going to be extremely inefficient

I'm not sure if #3 and #4 are mutually compatible, but it would be really nice if they could be found in a single reader!

Anyone know what I should be looking at? Price is, at this point, not a factor; he's not going to settle for something that doesn't have at least #1 and #2 and one or the other of #3/4 (preferably both), so if there's something that fits those specs, it'd be a matter of saving up to get it.
Doranwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
There is very little choice.
Have a look at this:
http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/1...-cybook-ocean/
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:58 PM   #3
Doranwen
Enthusiast
Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doranwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm, it doesn't say anything about how either one organizes the files on the e-reader. Do they both sort it all by file metadata and require you to search or browse by author or title, or do they allow filename organization? I've looked at its wiki page on this site but not sure how to interpret some of the software features listed, so not sure of the answer there.

It sounds like both handle pdfs well, at least.

I did some looking around, and couldn't find the InkPad even available . . . it just says "available soon". Anyone know if it is available or if it's just a "coming soon" for who knows how long?

Last edited by Doranwen; 01-11-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:07 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
For 50 books organization is not a big issue. organization is good, but the time to scroll through 6 or 7 pages is miniscule. Not like you do it every 5 minutes.

Unless he is visually impaired font size is not a big issue either. An extra page turn is not noticed after a very short time by most.
A bigger font can actually lead to faster reading.

I would recommend a Sony PRS T3 but they are hard to come by in some areas. Light easy to use and good organization. Very reliable. My mother who is 89 with poor vision loves hers.

Other than that get something you would be happy to have as a backup reader. Tell him you are lending it to him to remove pressure and see if he likes it.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:15 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
For a larger Reader, my suggestion is a Kobo Aura H2O. The screen is very nice at 6.8" and it's high resolution makes reading a pleasure. With the patch software available on MR, you can patch the Kobo to customize it to how your Dad would like it. You cannot do that on any other Reader. Plus, the light is very even and work very well. The battery life is also very good.

Calibre support for the H2O is excellent. Kobo Utilities is a great plugin. And you collections are able to be created by the computer. So organization is a breeze.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 01:21 AM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doranwen View Post
Hmm, it doesn't say anything about how either one organizes the files on the e-reader. Do they both sort it all by file metadata and require you to search or browse by author or title, or do they allow filename organization?
Please note that both of those are 8" - larger than Kobo Aura HD and other mentioned readers (6.7")

There is also Onyx Boox m96 with 9.7" UNLIT e-ink screen and Android 4.xy, so you can install whatever reader and file manager you want. IF you thing your father can handle increased complexity of using Android with various apps used for various purposes.
https://onyx-boox.com/shop/onyx-boox...android-4-0-4/

PocketBook 840 does let you organize files in folders AND in flat-file list according to many criteria. It also lets you to use filenames AND metadata. Many things are configurable.
The list of supported formats is massive.
Epubs, for example can be opened in two internal apps and in a third-party Coolreader.
You will have to downgrade firmware from 5.xy to 4.xy (which became available after numerous protests about [missing] features in 5.xy). Firmware used before 4.xy, on older devices, was even better, but that is a different rant.

I think cybook does support folders. I am sure some of previous models did and they have no reason to drop that. But you can ask Nate at the digital reader dot com.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:42 AM   #7
Doranwen
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
For 50 books organization is not a big issue. organization is good, but the time to scroll through 6 or 7 pages is miniscule. Not like you do it every 5 minutes.

Lol, 50 was a poor example. Try several hundred? I have at least 50 books of one author alone that I'm going to put on there (her estate offers them all free since she died before 1923). Then there's a bunch others I know he'll be reading. Scrolling through that many will be very aggravating to him--and alas, I will hear about it if I steer him wrong.
Quote:
Unless he is visually impaired font size is not a big issue either. An extra page turn is not noticed after a very short time by most.
A bigger font can actually lead to faster reading.
Well, he's old enough that he does find small print difficult, but his glasses usually help; he's just seen my e-reader's screen and not liked the size of it, nor the size of the font I use.

Quote:
Other than that get something you would be happy to have as a backup reader. Tell him you are lending it to him to remove pressure and see if he likes it.
Alas, wish I could, but I can't afford to buy anything for myself right now; if he gets it, it will be his purchase. He just has no idea what to get, and asked me to figure it out. (I don't think he's ever used a message board, so it's probably for the best that I do the asking, lol.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Please note that both of those are 8" - larger than Kobo Aura HD and other mentioned readers (6.7")
Yes, I think that's definitely what he would want; he liked the idea of something larger than the Firefly that I had; didn't like how small it was.

Quote:
There is also Onyx Boox m96 with 9.7" UNLIT e-ink screen and Android 4.xy, so you can install whatever reader and file manager you want. IF you thing your father can handle increased complexity of using Android with various apps used for various purposes.
https://onyx-boox.com/shop/onyx-boox...android-4-0-4/
Oh, I forgot Onyx also made a large size e-reader! My Firefly's from the same company; I find that it doesn't handle pdfs well, though. On my Firefly, each pdf page expands to the size of the screen only (no reflow), which means the text is miniscule and almost unreadable. Magnifying it makes it hard to read through a page, as you're scrolling left, right, down-left, right, down-left, right, etc. before getting to the page turn. A larger screen will definitely help that, but it'd have to make the text considerably larger before it would work; even with his glasses, he can't read tiny text, just reasonably small. *looks on Youtube* Ooh, even without reflow, this does look quite readable, as long as he has his glasses (and he always does when he's going to read, anyway). I like.

Quote:
PocketBook 840 does let you organize files in folders AND in flat-file list according to many criteria. It also lets you to use filenames AND metadata. Many things are configurable.
The list of supported formats is massive.
Epubs, for example can be opened in two internal apps and in a third-party Coolreader.
You will have to downgrade firmware from 5.xy to 4.xy (which became available after numerous protests about [missing] features in 5.xy). Firmware used before 4.xy, on older devices, was even better, but that is a different rant.
Lol, I did come across a little bit of the protesting in comments when I was searching. It looks pretty awesome; I just wish I could find where it was actually available. The main store (the only place I could find it for purchase) just says "Available Soon". Who knows when "soon" is?

Quote:
I think cybook does support folders. I am sure some of previous models did and they have no reason to drop that. But you can ask Nate at the digital reader dot com.
*nod* Thanks. For now I think I'm leaning towards the M96, because I'm pretty happy with my Firefly and would definitely consider buying from Onyx again. I'd also be interested in the PocketBook, but considering it's nigh impossible to get a hold of right now, the M96 might be the best choice. I'm seeing some great things about the M96, so I'm going to go with that as my final selection at this point.

Thank you all very much!
Old 01-12-2015, 07:52 AM   #8
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doranwen View Post
I'd also be interested in the PocketBook, but considering it's nigh impossible to get a hold of right now ...
Nate from the Digital reader was very unhappy, because he had one pre-ordered and paid-for and he still couldn't get one. It took lots of complaints from him to get one.
It looks like there is a shortage. PB 840 is a decent device, there is very little choice on the market, so quite a few people want one.

6" looks small if you haven't used reader in the past. If you could get your father test one for a couple of weeks, I think he would find out that 6" isn't that small.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:53 AM   #9
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
I gave my dad a Kindle DX. I didn't think he would like it since he has never touched a computer and has no use for them. It took him a long time to figure out his first calculator, ye he loves the Kindle and reads with it constantly. I send him books when he asks but I put enough on there to last him a long time. The size is perfect due to his arthritis and failing eyes. I really don't know why more companies don't make readers in this size. Lots of old people out there who love to read.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 09:36 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
6" looks small if you haven't used reader in the past. If you could get your father test one for a couple of weeks, I think he would find out that 6" isn't that small.
But if you need larger print in order to comfortably read, then a larger screen is better. I've seen what can happen on a 6" screen with larger text. It isn't pretty.

So yes, I agree that a larger screen is better. That's why I say the H2o is a good reader. It's very customizable and the screen looks very good with a nice even front light.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:36 PM   #11
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc7HD/10HD, smartphones
i'm noticing that you haven't mentioned (in the requirements) anything that specifically dictates it MUST be an eink device. actually, the requirements seem to point to a 10" tablet, with books / pdf / etc stored in a cloud like google drive or dropbox. or even sideloaded. lots more options as far as book stores, reading apps, they show pdf files better, you can swipe or hit the volume rocker button to turn pages, etc.

if there was a 10" eink reader, that would be worth discussing. but there isn't one unless you spend $1k on a 13" sony or wait 3-6 months for that other new 13" that might be $500.

if he can live with a 5-8hr battery life, then a 10" tablet is probably better. and cheap enough.
burnafterreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #12
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have a friend with severe vision problems.
His wife bought him an ereader but he had difficulties with the menus.
I put calibre on his laptop with a large chunk of PD books and he has been happily reading on that since.
A tablet or laptop solution might be better for your Dad as he mostly wants it when he is away from home.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:18 PM   #13
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Don't Onyx do a 8" device now? Check out the reviews on http://the-digital-reader.com/

There's a number of larger devices coming out of Eurasia these days.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:00 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But the thing is, no matter how good the hardware, if the software isn't all that good, the device isn't good. The H2O is quite good. And it is very customizable.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:16 PM   #15
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The H2O is quite good. And it is very customizable.
What is the screen size?