Notices

Old 04-07-2003, 09:57 AM   #1
thoresson
thoresson began at the beginning.

Device: m500
should I use two *.ixl files?

Hi,

I am new to iSilo and want to use it for two things:

1. Subscribe to certain "web channels" and have them updated in my Palm every day.
2. Move interesting articles from various web sites to my Palm for later reading.

If I understand the iSilox manual correct, the most easy way is to create two .ixl files. One which contains my subscribed web channels, and which I also use together with isiloxc and Windows Scheduler, and one into which I copy the url:s for interesting articles that I only want to convert to iSilo-format once, and not update in the future.

Correct?

Best regards,

Anders
Old 04-07-2003, 10:03 AM   #2
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Re: should I use two *.ixl files?

Quote:
Originally posted by thoresson
If I understand the iSilox manual correct, the most easy way is to create two .ixl files. One which contains my subscribed web channels, and which I also use together with isiloxc and Windows Scheduler, and one into which I copy the url:s for interesting articles that I only want to convert to iSilo-format once, and not update in the future.
Anders:

You are not limited to how many .ixl files you make. Think of a file folder metaphor: you wouldn't file your daily, weekly, monthly readings in one folder, would you? You're on the right track, making one .ixl your daily updates, and another for saved once-only conversions.

The new scheduling option in the upcoming iSiloX version will make it easier to keep everything in one file, but there is certainly nothing wrong with using seperate .ixl files for grouping like-syncing channels. In fact, it's an excellent organizational approach.

Cheers,
Gary
Advert
Old 04-07-2003, 10:12 AM   #3
thoresson

Re: Re: should I use two *.ixl files?

Quote:
Originally posted by gvtexas
You're on the right track, making one .ixl your daily updates, and another for saved once-only conversions.
After a once-only conversion, can I delete the url from iSilox? Or would that delete the file from my Palm as well?

//Anders
Old 04-07-2003, 10:23 AM   #4
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Re: Re: Re: should I use two *.ixl files?

Quote:
After a once-only conversion, can I delete the url from iSilox? Or would that delete the file from my Palm as well?
You can do that. The channel in the .ixl creates the .pdb that downloads to your Palm. I would do the following, however, as a process for this situation:

1. Create the download file via iSiloX
2. Check it thoroughly on your Palm to make sure you're happy with links, images, etc.
3. After syncing your palm, go into your backup directory on your desktop and copy the file over to an archive storage folder, in case you need the .pdb file in the future.
4. Delete the channel from your .ixl.

You also might think of creating another .ixl file called archive.ixl in which you store channels you once used, but probably won't again. That way you can save the channels in case you want to process them again in the future (or in case you want to share the channels here in the New Links section!). Since you don't plan to update these again, the file is just a storage facility.

Remember also that you can copy(or cut)/paste channels from .ixl to .ixl any time, making it really easy to move .ixls around.

Cheers,
Gary
Old 04-07-2003, 10:42 AM   #5
thoresson

Re: Re: Re: Re: should I use two *.ixl files?

Is "default settings" in iSiloX global settings or for each *.ixl-files?

For my convert once-only url:s I don't want to follow a single link. And it get's a bit tedious to change this every time.
Advert
Old 04-07-2003, 10:58 AM   #6
gvtexas
Addict

Quote:
Is "default settings" in iSiloX global settings or for each *.ixl-files?
No. The default properties will apply to any new channel you create in any .ixl file you have, and are stored in the iSiloX program and not the individual .ixl files. Best bet is to set your defaults to "most likely" properties, and adjust each channel as you need.

Cheers,
Gary