Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2019, 05:24 PM   #91
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But really, Kobo could do more so there's lessneed for as many patches.
I agree. Advanced font control for sideloaded fonts should be available from the get-go.

Also, kepub should be fixed to enable ligatures.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 05:26 PM   #92
Alanon
Connoisseur
Alanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watchAlanon is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
if I want to enable or disable patches, do I just make the changes and resend the whole shooting match through the process again like this time? what language is all of the patch programming in? linux?

really appreciate your help.
Just enable/disable the patches you wish to alter, generate the KoboRoot.tgz again and "re-flash" that to your device.

As for the code, no idea.
Alanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2019, 05:45 PM   #93
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanon View Post
Just enable/disable the patches you wish to alter, generate the KoboRoot.tgz again and "re-flash" that to your device.

As for the code, no idea.
thank you so much
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:56 PM   #94
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Got this today not bad for $10

Last edited by Scarpad; 12-16-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 08:07 AM   #95
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I agree. Advanced font control for sideloaded fonts should be available from the get-go.

Also, kepub should be fixed to enable ligatures.
And the font size for KePub should match ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2019, 07:13 AM   #96
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
and I definitely want to do something fun like this in the future. maybe not 512 because it's just not necessary for me, but 256 or 128, heck yeah! I really love this Clara. I am off the Kindle-go-round and I love every minute of it.
I swapped the internal SD card in my Mini to 16 GB and I've NEVER come close to filling it. I've tried. So unless you are putting large files like comics, etc, on there, even the sizes you mentioned would be a waste. IMO.
booklover6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:27 AM   #97
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I swapped the internal SD card in my Mini to 16 GB and I've NEVER come close to filling it. I've tried. So unless you are putting large files like comics, etc, on there, even the sizes you mentioned would be a waste. IMO.
oh, I know that. that why I said do something "like" this. there is zero need for me to have a card that large. I would probably do a 32GB just because I can. it's less about the space and more about doing it.
Old 12-18-2019, 01:42 PM   #98
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
Quote:
oh, I know that. that why I said do something "like" this. there is zero need for me to have a card that large. I would probably do a 32GB just because I can. it's less about the space and more about doing it.
I think the speed of the card is more important than the size. I had a 64GB Sandisk Extreme purchased for a GoPro laying around that I used. Works great and it is definitely more responsive, but I'll never use all the space.

Also, I've seen so many requests for Kobo sd card images here, now I have my own in case I ever really brick it.

Last edited by retro; 12-18-2019 at 01:46 PM.
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:59 PM   #99
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
I think the speed of the card is more important than the size. I had a 64GB Sandisk Extreme purchased for a GoPro laying around that I used. Works great and it is definitely more responsive, but I'll never use all the space.

Also, I've seen so many requests for Kobo sd card images here, now I have my own in case I ever really brick it.
agreed. speed is the thing. not sure what these come with, but speed is key and what I want for the long haul, and the fun of swapping it out.
Old 12-18-2019, 03:04 PM   #100
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

one thing is that leftover space also equals speed so large is good even if you never use it all, but faster is better. having a spare Clara image available is a good thing too as a safety measure.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:07 PM   #101
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro View Post
But, number or requests is tiny compared to how many Kobo devices are out there. And honestly, I believe that a significant number of the devices are not actually "bricked". I'm pretty sure for many, the manual factory just needs to be done properly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:54 AM   #102
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

woohoo! my second Clara has shipped and will arrive tomorrow
Old 12-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #103
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
For the record, my CHD updated with no issues.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:07 PM   #104
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
For the record, my CHD updated with no issues.
for the record, I love VPs too
Old 12-19-2019, 05:23 PM   #105
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
one thing is that leftover space also equals speed so large is good even if you never use it all, but faster is better. having a spare Clara image available is a good thing too as a safety measure.
The question is what kind of faster. I've found that using CrystalDiskMark, that the small block read/write numbers are much more important than the sequential read/write numbers when it came to making a noticeable difference in performance. So far SanDisk and Samsung have been the best of group in that area.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote