Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-13-2019, 04:33 AM   #76
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
this line from the patch readme.txt. why would I need to rename it and how will I know? thanks. (the fw update applied properly on my Clara)

"1. Download the firmware from https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html to the src folder.
The zip should be called something like kobo-update-4.19.14123.zip. You may need to rename it."
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 05:17 AM   #77
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did it!

dang that was fun! and learned so much

thanks to everyone who walked me through this first time. sorry all the hand-holding was necessary.

got three errors in the out folder log. tracked each one down and corrected it and the voila.
Advert
Old 12-13-2019, 11:07 AM   #78
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
I did it!

Out of curiosity, what patches did you wind up enabling?

I enable advanced font control and ligatures in kepub. I'd like to swap the header and footer, but there's currently a bug where if you do that and turn one off, the other doesn't properly display the info.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-13-2019 at 11:11 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:14 AM   #79
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
...when I started here and elsewhere like fb I had no idea what was really going on out there. too late for all of that but now I guard privacy wherever I can these days.
You know, you can close your Facebook account. I did.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #80
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Out of curiosity, what patches did you wind up enabling?

I enable advanced font control and ligatures in kepub. I'd like to swap the header and footer, but there's currently a bug where if you do that and turn one off, the other doesn't properly the info.
#allthepatches I said I had fun

seriously though, I did quite a few, but the ones I remember right now took away all the home screen kobo stuff, enlarged the covers and reduced the footer, auto rotate (which it doesn't), I can do either but not auto, reduced the header and footer in books (footer is still huge), minimal margins in books, advanced font control, and a few others that are not coming to mind.

and I fixed the usb connection via the config file
Advert
Old 12-13-2019, 11:19 AM   #81
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You know, you can close your Facebook account. I did.
I just stripped my name and any identifying info, images, etc. it was after Cambridge Analytica so it was all out there already anyway, but it made me feel better.

I am a member of a group that it's the only way we have contact so I won't leave unless totally necessary.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:36 AM   #82
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
I did it!

Absolutely! The "I just want to read" brigade don't know what they're missing.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:49 AM   #83
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
you are so right. it was amazing. got my blood going.

I love anything like this. yeah, I stumbled initially, but once I restarted it was fluid.

if I want to enable or disable patches, do I just make the changes and resend the whole shooting match through the process again like this time? what language is all of the patch programming in? linux?

really appreciate your help.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:49 AM   #84
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
It's not the Kobo experience if you don't patch.

Just like it's not the Kindle experience if you don't jailbreak or whinge that you cannot jailbreak.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:52 AM   #85
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not the Kobo experience if you don't patch.

Just like it's not the Kindle experience if you don't jailbreak or whinge that you cannot jailbreak.
so true. it was great. and I think I prefer it to the kindle experience.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:02 PM   #86
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
(bolding mine) Yes those posts have been known offer a bit of light relief, now and again.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:56 PM   #87
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Well, I've never wanted to jailbreak my Kindles, but of course it would be better if they could be patched like Kobos. That's probably not going to happen, though. I agree patching is a huge plus for Kobo. I think I have over twenty patches enabled - advanced font controls, header-footer sizes, home screen (don't want to see any recommendations there), line spacing, custom font sizes, dictionary popup, synopsis etc. etc. It's really fun to do all that.

Many-many thanks to the authors of the patches!
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 01:02 PM   #88
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Well, I've never wanted to jailbreak my Kindles, but of course it would be better if they could be patched like Kobos. That's probably not going to happen, though. I agree patching is a huge plus for Kobo. I think I have over twenty patches enabled - advanced font controls, header-footer sizes, home screen (don't want to see any recommendations there), line spacing, custom font sizes, dictionary popup, synopsis etc. etc. It's really fun to do all that.

Many-many thanks to the authors of the patches!
I like some of the customization you can do with patches. But some of the patches I feel should be part of the firmware and some with options.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:18 PM   #89
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But some of the patches I feel should be part of the firmware...
I, too, wonder why Kobo haven't extended the Advanced font control to all sideloaded fonts. Even Amazon have done that. I know that when the patch was new there was some concern that there may be problems in some circumstances but I don't remember a single error report in the many years it's been available. If a user only has one patch enabled it's probably this one.

Quote:
... and some with options.
Are you saying there are some patches which would benefit from extra customisation? If so, which?
Old 12-13-2019, 04:02 PM   #90
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

[QUOTE=jackie_w;3928173]I, too, wonder why Kobo haven't extended the Advanced font control to all sideloaded fonts. Even Amazon have done that. I know that when the patch was new there was some concern that there may be problems in some circumstances but I don't remember a single error report in the many years it's been available. If a user only has one patch enabled it's probably this one.

Quote:
Are you saying there are some patches which would benefit from extra customization? If so, which?
I'm saying that some of the patches should not be needed as what's being patched should be an option in settings. For example, the shutdown timout is useless. The longest time is not long enough. Sony used 48 hours which was OK. Being able to swap the header/footer would be good. There are other things. But really, Kobo could do more so there's lessneed for as many patches.