Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-11-2019, 02:18 PM   #16
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
it's here!
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:19 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
thank you. am I right in understanding that if I upgrade to the latest fw, I have to wait for new patches for the rest? it might drive me a bit buggy to do that. fibro makes it difficult for me to deal with tmi, which is why I need a clean home screen, and I do prefer it that way anyway.
To be honest, I spend very little time on the home screen. I either am on My Books looking at my books or collections or on the home screen, I just tap the icon for the book I am reading. I don't really look at the home screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:21 PM   #18
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If I had a second Kobo, I would put 4.19 on and see how it is without patches.

What version firmware is on your Clara?

If you want to change the affiliate in order to sync the new firmware, you can change it to one of three You can change to bestbuyca, beta, or walmartca.
ups truck is in the driveway
Old 12-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #19
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
thanks. I'll see if I can figure that out. I'm going to use a fake reg, but don't want updates forced. hard to be quick and dirty on a device I've never used.

how do I turn off wifi right after I reg? I need to be quick so I need exact steps please. thank you.
You must not connect to wifi at all, if you want it not to update. Not even once. I think you can use the Kobo Desktop software for registration without connecting to the internet.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #20
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Don't bother with mobi. But epub and kepub, yes. That's what I did, in fact, when I got my Libra.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:23 PM   #21
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
You must not connect to wifi at all, if you want it not to update. Not even once. I think you can use the Kobo Desktop software for registration without connecting to the internet.
can I still use a fake reg?
Old 12-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes. Also the device might update itself, as soon as it's connected to wifi (happened to me once). So if you don't want to wait for the patches, your best bet is to skip registration somehow, for now, but I don't know how to do that.
The way to stop the firmware updating (for now) is to set the affiliate to kobo as kobo is not yet sending out the new firmware. Then register. If the patches are wanted, install 4.18 manually and then work on the patches.

@pghaworth if you really don't want to wait for the 4.19 patches, I can send you a copy of my 4.18 patches and you can have a look at them and go from there with 4.18.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
It's not worth it to use a fake reg.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:25 PM   #24
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Don't know, haven't tried.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:25 PM   #25
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

also, once I do that can I then delete the download without issues on my Clara?
Old 12-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #26
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The way to stop the firmware updating (for now) is to set the affiliate to kobo as kobo is not yet sending out the new firmware. Then register. If the patches are wanted, install 4.18 manually and then work on the patches.

@pghaworth if you really don't want to wait for the 4.19 patches, I can send you a copy of my 4.18 patches and you can have a look at them and go from there with 4.18.
that would be lovely, thank you.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:32 PM   #27
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

impressed already. it comes in a real box.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:33 PM   #28
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

initial thoughts: beautiful and slick (slippery). I will need a back cover only.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:51 PM   #29
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

it's forcing a wifi connection, either desktop or on device. it's charging right now and connected to pc.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:54 PM   #30
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

safe to delete the analytics file?