Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > ePub Books (offline)

Notices

Old 01-23-2012, 05:09 AM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Tarkington, Booth: Penrod (Illustrated). v2. 18 Mar 2013

PENROD
by Booth Tarkington (1869 – 1946)
Illustrated by Gordon Grant (1875 – 1962)
First published 1914

Penrod is a collection of comic sketches by Booth Tarkington that was first published in 1914. The book follows the misadventures of Penrod Schofield, an eleven-year-old boy growing up in the pre-World War I Midwestern United States, in a similar vein to The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. In Penrod, Tarkington established characters who appeared in two further books, Penrod and Sam (1916) and Penrod Jashber (1929). The three books were published together in one volume, Penrod: His Complete Story, in 1931.

Penrod is family literature, suitable for children and former children. Although young adolescents are less naïve now, a century later, anyone who has been a boy or who has known a boy will enjoy this book. Male readers can perhaps look back at their own childhood and feel a twinge of nostalgia. Women may cast a speculative eye at their brothers, fathers, and grandfathers (“tell me again how you were always a good little boy, grandpa...”). A charming book, witty and laugh-out-loud funny.

-------------

Pen & Ink illustrations by Gordon Grant add an extra bit of a giggle, I think.

My first effort for public release. Any feedback gratefully appreciated.

--------------
EDIT: Version 2: Added color frontispiece, some text and format corrections, some images redone, smaller file-size. Cross-linked chapter titles to html Table of Contents. Added Large-cap version for readers with poor drop-cap support.
Previous downloads 148.

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 03-18-2013 at 03:36 AM. Reason: upload version 2
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)
Thank you for the uploads! I don't believe I've ever read anything by this author, but he seems to be about the same time frame, maybe a bit earlier, than P.G. Wodehouse, who was a great author of humorous fiction. I look forward to dumping this on my JBL and finding some time to read
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2012, 04:57 AM   #3
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for kind words.
Tarkington (like Mark Twain) is sometimes not politically correct (racial terminology) but can be a VERY funny man. I laughed till my sides ached at the chapter "Creative Art" in Penrod and Sam.

Hope you enjoy the read!
Old 03-18-2013, 03:14 AM   #4
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

Uploaded Version 2: Added color frontispiece, corrected some textual errors, tweaked formatting and images. Cross-linked chapter titles to html Table of Contents. Created an additional Large-caps version.

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 03-18-2013 at 03:36 AM.

Tags
boys, fiction, humor