Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-28-2019, 10:22 PM   #1
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Kobo discontinuing support for Sony readers

Just got this email from Kobo:

We have important news for you regarding your Sony Reader.

Part of our commitment to providing the best possible reading experience means keeping up with the latest advances in eReader technology and internet security protocols. With this in mind, we will need to discontinue support for some of our earliest products.

As of February 28, the Sony Reader will no longer be supported by Rakuten Kobo*. This means it will no longer receive software updates, and will not be able to connect to the Kobo eBookstore. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Rest assured that no items in your Kobo library will be affected; you will continue to have access to all reading material you have purchased or downloaded from Rakuten Kobo.

Read with Kobo with the free Kobo App
You can download the free Kobo App available for iOS and Android smartphones and tablets, and read with Kobo on a device you already own.

Kobo is a company built by booklovers for booklovers, and we will continue to expand on our reading experience, offering you cutting-edge eReaders, easy-to-use reading apps, and reading recommendations chosen just for you.

To see if any of your other Kobo products are affected, visit Kobo Help.

If you have any questions or concerns about this message, please contact Kobo Customer Care.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:18 AM   #2
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
I wasn't clear on this. The email I got said "Sony Desktop".
I'm wondering if it is all Sony software.

Can't Calibre access the Kobo bookstore?
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2019, 08:14 AM   #3
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I got an email about needing to update the software on my Kobo Mini. I sideload my Sonys and never have used the Wifi on them.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:23 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I got an email about needing to update the software on my Kobo Mini. I sideload my Sonys and never have used the Wifi on them.
I got one for my Kobo Arc tablet, and the Kobo Wifi (I had a Kobo Wifi? when did I get a Kobo Wifi?).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 08:52 AM   #5
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
My mother-in-law has a Kobo Wi-Fi that we got for her (used). I seem to remember logging it into my account for testing purposes. (I definitely logged out after I was done.)

It seems Kobo remembers all the devices I've ever used with my account, which is not terribly surprising.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2019, 10:52 AM   #6
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Just got this email from Kobo:

We have important news for you regarding your Sony Reader.

Part of our commitment to providing the best possible reading experience means keeping up with the latest advances in eReader technology and internet security protocols. With this in mind, we will need to discontinue support for some of our earliest products.

As of February 28, the Sony Reader will no longer be supported by Rakuten Kobo*. This means it will no longer receive software updates, and will not be able to connect to the Kobo eBookstore. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Rest assured that no items in your Kobo library will be affected; you will continue to have access to all reading material you have purchased or downloaded from Rakuten Kobo.

Read with Kobo with the free Kobo App
You can download the free Kobo App available for iOS and Android smartphones and tablets, and read with Kobo on a device you already own.

Kobo is a company built by booklovers for booklovers, and we will continue to expand on our reading experience, offering you cutting-edge eReaders, easy-to-use reading apps, and reading recommendations chosen just for you.

To see if any of your other Kobo products are affected, visit Kobo Help.

If you have any questions or concerns about this message, please contact Kobo Customer Care.

I got the same email. Very nice of them to send a notice the day after it happens.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 11:55 AM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
I got the same email. Very nice of them to send a notice the day after it happens.
Out of curiosity, in what universe does Feb. 28th happen the day before Jan. 29th? Inquiring minds are eager to know.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:38 PM   #8
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
David etal, without Kobo, how can Kobo books be loaded onto Sony eReaders e.g. Sony PRS T1?
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:00 PM   #9
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by petercreasey View Post
David etal, without Kobo, how can Kobo books be loaded onto Sony eReaders e.g. Sony PRS T1?
For the books I have bought from the Google Play store, I buy and download from my PC then sync to my reader using the Reader for PC software. I assume you can do the same for Kobo books.

I don't actually buy a lot of books (I read mostly library books) and I don't think I've actually bought any from the Kobo store. I do have books bought from the now-defunct Sony store which were transferred to Kobo at the time the Sony store closed, but those books were already all on my reader beforehand.

I have received a number of Google Play gift certificates as birthday/Christmas gifts over the past couple of years so that's where shop for ebooks.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 07:45 PM   #10
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I download my ebooks to my computer and then sideload them on whatever reader I want to. If you don't already use Calibre, get it. Anything I buy or any freebies I download to my laptop, put them in Calibre and then I can sideload onto whatever Sony or Kobo or Nook or Kindle I want to. Plus, I then have a backup on my laptop.

My first reader was a Sony and it didn't have Wifi so I got used to doing it that way and never stopped.

ETA--now that I think about it, maybe it was me that didn't have Wifi at first. Anyway, I have never used the Wifi on any of my Sonys.

Last edited by Hemmi; 01-29-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:28 AM   #11
gingerbeardman
Zealot
gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gingerbeardman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Sony Readers, Kobo Touch Edition, iPhone
I got this too, saying Sony Desktop.

I guess because I logged into Kobo Store using Sony Desktop app, not my Sony device?
gingerbeardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:50 PM   #12
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I download my ebooks to my computer and then sideload them on whatever reader I want to. If you don't already use Calibre, get it. Anything I buy or any freebies I download to my laptop, put them in Calibre and then I can sideload onto whatever Sony or Kobo or Nook or Kindle I want to. Plus, I then have a backup on my laptop.
Since I use Linux and don't really want to bounce around to a Windows computer (or use Wine), I don't have ADE readily available. That's okay if I can buy online with a Kobo (and then transfer to Calibre with Obok) but now I've lost four devices that used to be able to sync with each other and download directly from Kobo's bookstore ... a Sony PRS-2, a Kobo WiFi, a Kobo Mini (the one that hurts the most) and the Kobo app on m Blackberry Q10. Looks like I'll revert back to Amazon for most of my book purchases ... since (at least at this time) I've got a lot of choices for downloading Kindle books to Calibre without ADE or Windows.

The Kobo Touch will still work on the Kobo Store, but for how long?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:54 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbeardman View Post
I got this too, saying Sony Desktop.

I guess because I logged into Kobo Store using Sony Desktop app, not my Sony device?
I use the Sony application (occasionally) but haven't gotten any news about it from Kobo. The last time I was on my Windows computer I think I had to use the Sony Appliation, the Kobo didn't want to work for the Sony. But I guess this option also going. Well drat.

But I'll still have the Amazon option for the Sonys. (And Feedbacks, and few other outfits like that.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:10 AM   #14
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer

The Kobo mini will still synch with the Kobo store. You just have to update the software. It's just Sonys that will not anymore.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:34 AM   #15
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
The Kobo mini will still synch with the Kobo store. You just have to update the software. It's just Sonys that will not anymore.
Apparently not. This is what it says on the Kobo website:

Quote:
As of February 28th, 2019, the Mini will no longer be supported by Rakuten Kobo. This means it will no longer receive software updates, and will not be able to connect to the Kobo Store.
Apparently the only point of the update is to prevent bricking the device if you need a factory reset. After February 28, the only way to get books on the Mini will be to sideload them.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote