Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
Diegan
Diegan began at the beginning.

Device: Jinke V3
3g in Europe?

Hi, I am from Spain and planning on buying the graphite DX soon. My question is:

Will I be able to freely navigate any website I want, or only wikipedia and amazon?

A friend of mine bought the white DX a few weeks ago and he could only navigate in this two places, so I don't know if that will be a limitation for the graphite, or the graphite lets you navigate the whole internet.

Thank you!
Diegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
In Germany, 3G works flawlessly - but you can't expect much from the browser. Best sites to visit, are mobile optimized ones.

You can check at amazon, but I doubt it will help.
Just go to the Kindle product page, and in the description you will find (under experimental features) a link to check the availability. The link tells 3G is not available for Spain, but it tells the same for Germany...
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Don't expect to use it as a primary web device. Most websites today are way too complicated to function flawlessly in the Kindle. Obviously the benefit is a no charge network access, but I couldn't even get Yahoo e-mail to look decent enough that I could be bothered to reading my e-mail on the Kindle. Besides, the keyboard is only functional for the occasional word or two, not full sentences.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:21 AM   #4
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
Not sure about KDX, but my K2 3G works in Italy, and it's great when you visit sites optimized for mobiles.
Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Check here for Mobile links that could work well on a Kindle browser:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Mobile_links
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 06:53 PM   #6
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear4hunter View Post
In Germany, 3G works flawlessly - but you can't expect much from the browser. Best sites to visit, are mobile optimized ones.

You can check at amazon, but I doubt it will help.
Just go to the Kindle product page, and in the description you will find (under experimental features) a link to check the availability. The link tells 3G is not available for Spain, but it tells the same for Germany...
Did you register for Germany? Did you use the US- or the international version of the DXG? Is there a hardware difference anyway?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:43 AM   #7
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
It's the Kindle 2 (6") International Version, and yes, it's registered to a german adress.

Looks like amazon found 3G provider in Germany, instead of using roaming with a US provider
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:23 AM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Did you register for Germany? Did you use the US- or the international version of the DXG? Is there a hardware difference anyway?
The former US version (which was replaced by the international one about 1 year ago) was providing 3G only for the US. I haven't heard of any workaround due to different modems/frequencies.
Since summer last year, Amazon only sells the international versions.
Difference between US and international versions (both Kindle 2 and Kindle DX) was the modem (US specific vs. global usability).
Difference between Kindle DX and Kindle DX Graphite obviously is the color of the housing (therefore "Graphite"). Plus slightly less grey background of the display and darker fonts = better contrast on Graphite.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 07:21 PM   #9
Diegan

Ok, but a friend of mine just bought the DX old version international, and he tells me, here in Spain, he can only access wikipedia and amazon.
Old 07-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #10
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
Maybe it depends from OS version. I had same limitation when I was on 2.3. After I updated to 2.5.2 I could access any site. I am writing this post on my K2 !
Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:46 PM   #11
Diegan

Great! Thanks for the answer, I will tell my friend that
Old 02-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #12
zxcvbnm
zxcvbnm began at the beginning.

Device: none
Sorry found old thread via google but;

I was just speaking to someone who said they could only access amazon and wikipedia when in spain using 3g. When in germany they could access the whole web?

Does anyone know what is going on or how to fix it? I thought the 3g kindle should work all over, I could understand if it could not work on a countries phone system at all but partly seems odd?

thanks
zxcvbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:47 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It depends whether or not Amazon have done a deal with a local telecoms operator. If they have, you'll get unrestricted web access; if they haven't, web access will be restricted to Amazon and Wikipedia. All web traffic goes via Amazon's proxy servers, so they can block sites in this way.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #14
Verres
Zealot
Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Verres , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
There are differences from country to country, e.g. if you bought a Kindle in the US with an american address you can access the whole web in almost every other country (Italy, Spain, Germany...) for free. However you can only do so for about two weeks in a row, after that Amazon CS will contact you and tell you to get in touch with them and afterwards block your free web access outside the US. That is also what happened to some wannabe smart guys from europe who bought a US Kindle with fake US addresses.

If you for example buy an international Kindle from the US and live in Germany you will be able to access the english wikipedia via 3G for free but nothing else. You also still can receive documents via 3G although that will cost you a fee.

So there basicly is free web access for some countries and some amazon customers, but most are covered only for a short time. With an US Kindle you would be doing fine for a vacation in europe, with an international you better start looking for wifi spots (at least in Germany).

*Edit*
There was a time when some K2 models seemed to be able access the whole web for free in Germany. At least some users reported this to be the case in some forums, though in general what i wrote above applies.

Last edited by Verres; 02-27-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Verres is offline   Reply With Quote