Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2007, 02:46 PM   #1
sander
sander began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader 505
Broke my reader today

My reader slipped from my hand and fell 1 ft into my soft and cushy briefcase that was filled with papers and cushioned the fall. i was not even remotely concerned about it and stuffed it in the pocket of my case and went home.

Upon getting home and settling in to my favorite reading chair, i found that the reader no longer turns on. The power switch seems to stick and although it feels like it should still switch on, it does not.

I am certainly hoping that sony will replace it, there is no reason that the reader should break in this manner. i just bought it two weeks ago, but i am concerned i will have to fight tooth and nail to get a new one.... it does make me think i should get the extra protection plan in the future however.

off to the mall to get a replacement.
sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:53 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I use a armored skin on my cell phone and I drop it often with no damage to the phone. What we need are some skins for our readers.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
sander
sander began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader 505
I know, i drop my iphone all the time with its skin and no problem. but again, this really barely counts as a drop. i would expect a tiffany lamp to survive a 1 foot fall into a leather briefcase filled with folders and files.
sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:01 PM   #4
Stanart
Addict
Stanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the rough

Device: Handspring Visor, Sony PRS-500 Reader
There's a skin available here:

http://www.buymedge.com/

I don't own one of the skins so can't vouch for them.
Stanart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:43 PM   #5
Starfish
Connoisseur
Starfish doesn't litterStarfish doesn't litterStarfish doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Sander,

Have you tried the reset button on the back? Just poke it with the end of a bent paper clip and try turning the Reader back on then.

Starfish
Starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2007, 10:44 PM   #6
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
oh cool, I see they will have some news coming out in the future as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanart View Post
There's a skin available here:

http://www.buymedge.com/

I don't own one of the skins so can't vouch for them.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:25 AM   #7
coldcell
coldcell began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Ooo, they've got PRS505 stuff coming in "late December"... something to watch out for! I'm not getting the crap cover Sony sells as an upgrade, and the fake brown cover that came with it could be better.
coldcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:59 AM   #8
carchase
Enthusiast
carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.carchase has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I bought the upgrade and it's not that bad. I like that it "gives" more than the included cover. I can bend it a bit while reading-- like an old paperback. But I'll probably consider any new cases that come along also.
carchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 06:08 PM   #9
mlbspike
Enthusiast
mlbspike began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500, PRS505
Dropped 4 feet onto concrete.
That's what I get for reading while I walk (an old habit).
Landed on a corner, then fell face down. Picked it up, and was
pleasantly surprised ... everything was fine. Added a lanyard to
put around my wrist, that evening. That was months ago ... still
functional.
- Mike
mlbspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:54 AM   #10
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
I threw my Reader really hard against a wall last night, and, while the wall got a nice dent, my Reader didn't even get a scratch (except on the metal).
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:50 AM   #11
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky69 View Post
I threw my Reader really hard against a wall last night, and, while the wall got a nice dent, my Reader didn't even get a scratch (except on the metal).

We should do a reader Jackass movie of all those stunts...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:46 PM   #12
Astropin
Connoisseur
Astropin is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, N800
Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky69 View Post
Bad Book?
Astropin is offline   Reply With Quote