Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #1
joeru
joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!joeru , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: iphone ipad
Kindle sync with iPhone?

I've read speculation that Whispersync might allow Kindle books to be synced with an iPhone (or other phones). Anyone interested in that? Sounds like a great idea to read a book with the best device available.

- Joe
joeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Not yet I'm guessing, since one is on Sprint and the other is on AT&T.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
I really hope the iPhone/iPod Touch content deal happens.

I've heard the AT&T/Sprint argument a few times, and I don't understand it. Your books (and your place in the book) would be stored "on the cloud". When you use your Kindle, it would sync with the cloud using Sprint. When you use your iPhone, it would sync with the cloud using AT&T. When you use your iPod Touch, you would sync using your home ISP (using WiFi). The actual service provider really doesn't matter, you're just accessing the cloud.

I'm not picking on you lilac_jive, please don't think I am. I just don't understand why people think the service provider matters. It's like thinking I can't go to Amazon.com because my ISP is Comcast.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:53 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Not yet I'm guessing, since one is on Sprint and the other is on AT&T.
I don't know what you mean by that? Can't you call someone with a Sprint phone when you are using AT&T?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:53 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I don't know what you mean by that? Can't you call someone with a Sprint phone when you are using AT&T?

BOb
True. I wasn't thinking clearly.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
True. I wasn't thinking clearly.
No worries, I do this for a living. The wireless network doesn't matter. As long as the device can access the amazon server it will be able to send/receive information to do the sync.

BOb
Old 02-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #7
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
No worries, I do this for a living. The wireless network doesn't matter. As long as the device can access the amazon server it will be able to send/receive information to do the sync.

BOb
I don't think clearly for a living
Old 02-12-2009, 01:30 PM   #8
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
It's a fabulous idea but I can't image Amazon and Apple cooperating to that extent.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
It's a fabulous idea but I can't image Amazon and Apple cooperating to that extent.

cheers
it's not Apple. It's just a matter of Amazon writing the software to run on the iPhone/iPod Touch.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I'm not sure if it would require Apple to do anything. If an iPhone app is allowed to use the network services of the phone, Apple has nothing to say about it. I think they do allow apps to talk to the could, I am pretty sure there are several Apps that do, like urban spoon for example.

BOb
Old 02-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #11
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

cheers
There's already an Amazon App. I get the sneaky feeling Apple doesn't really care about anything that goes on for their apps, as long as they are making money and not insulting anyone.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #12
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
it's not Apple. It's just a matter of Amazon writing the software to run on the iPhone/iPod Touch.
But wouldn't that be counter productive to Amazon, wanting to keep exclusivity for the Kindle and their ebooks?
Old 02-12-2009, 01:53 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But wouldn't that be counter productive to Amazon, wanting to keep exclusivity for the Kindle and their ebooks?
They have already announced that they are working to allow Kindle content to be read on Cell phones and synced with the Kindle. They just haven't announced what Cell phones they will be supporting or many details.

EDIT: Speculation is that they will take the mobipocket reader software and modify it to use the Kindle DRM/PID's. There is a rumor already that there was/is an iPhone version of mobipocket reader that was not released.

BOb
Old 02-12-2009, 01:58 PM   #14
Leep
Guru

Quote:
There is a rumor already that there was/is an iPhone version of mobipocket reader that was not released.
I love that idea since I recently bought a iPod Touch (which is great by the way-except I would read ebooks on it rarely since I love my Kindle)
Old 02-14-2009, 07:58 AM   #15
geekaren
geek
geekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one handgeekaren can read with one hand

Device: Oasis (1&2), Voyage, Kindle Touch, iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeru View Post
I've read speculation that Whispersync might allow Kindle books to be synced with an iPhone (or other phones). Anyone interested in that? Sounds like a great idea to read a book with the best device available.
I'd love to see this! I've ordered a Kindle 2 (and am quite excited for it to arrive ) but would love the ability to pick up where I left off in a book when I only have my iPhone with me.
geekaren is offline   Reply With Quote