Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-26-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Jasper Fforde

Has anyone read this author?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Not I..sounds familiar though.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Not I..sounds familiar though.
http://www.amazon.com/Eyre-Affair-Th...0309951&sr=1-1

Recommended by a friend who work in a book store and is a huge sci/fi fan.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes. They are quite amusing, but tend to get a little "repetitive" after a while. I'd recommend reading the first one in the series, "The Eyre Affair", and seeing what you think.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Has anyone read this author?
I've read the first three Thursday Next novels. They're quite fun, if perhaps a bit overly enthused with their own cleverness. There's at least 5 out, but #4 randomly isn't available as an e-book , so I haven't gotten to it yet.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes. They are quite amusing, but tend to get a little "repetitive" after a while. I'd recommend reading the first one in the series, "The Eyre Affair", and seeing what you think.
Thats what my friend said. I was going to download it anyway, but I had never heard of him and wanted to see what others thought.

Thanks!
Old 12-26-2008, 12:16 PM   #7
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I've read all of his stuff to date - I love the Thursday Next ones, but I'm not so keen on the Nursery Crimes ones. There is a bit of a link between both series, but it won't spoil anything if you read only one and not the other.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Yes, I have. hmm.. lemme see.. Not bad, the best part of it is the concept, not the writing. First two Thursday Next books are decent and enjoyable but I got tired of them after that. Naturally I'd already bought books 3-4 and I just got bored with it part way into 3. I suspect they may be someones cup of tea but I dunno, I just got bored. Jack Finney and Connie Willis (Bellweather, To Say Nothing of The Dog) touch on things like this and are better writers. Gotta run though and can't check and see if they're ebook'd. Hope so.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 09:19 PM   #9
Stanart
Addict
Stanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the roughStanart is a jewel in the rough

Device: Handspring Visor, Sony PRS-500 Reader
I've read the two Nursery Crimes books and enjoyed them, especially The Fourth Bear, which I kept picturing in my mind as a movie.
Stanart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:10 AM   #10
jimbolini
jimbolini began at the beginning.

Device: none
Jasper fforde

I discovered Fforde this year and definitely recommend them. He's best known for the Thursday Next and Nursery Crime series. They are very imaginative with lots of originality. Hints:
1. Read the series in order.
2. Don't nitpick details, inconsistencies, plot logic issues. These are 'face value' books to be enjoyed as they are!
3. It really helps to be British or know Brit, not only because of the numerous UK-only references and puns, but the humo(u)r is generally out of the Python/Hitchhikers Guide playbook. if you don't like those you probably won't get or like Ffordes books.
4. Personally my fave is the Big Over Easy, and the Nursery Crime books.. As I said above, the T. Next series can get tedious at times but still great fun.
jimbolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:12 AM   #11
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
They are currently on my 'To read' list... Hoping they live up to the hype I've heard...

-MJ

Last edited by mjh215; 12-27-2008 at 09:42 AM.
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:14 AM   #12
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Is there a crib sheet of some sort that lists which works one should have familiarity with before reading each of the books? For example, I've never read Jane Eyre, so I'm guessing I would not particularly enjoy The Eyre Affair until after I've read the book on which it's based.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:17 AM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
Is there a crib sheet of some sort that lists which works one should have familiarity with before reading each of the books? For example, I've never read Jane Eyre, so I'm guessing I would not particularly enjoy The Eyre Affair until after I've read the book on which it's based.

I'm not sure about this, but I was told specifically to start with that one. At any rate, he sounds like a good read.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:33 AM   #14
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
IIRC, Jane Eyre is the only one which is really essential. Other works vague familiarity is sufficient, but without Jane Eyre much of The Eyre Affair won't make sense / will spoil Jane Eyre .
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 02:02 PM   #15
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
The Eyre Affair isn't based on Jane Eyre, although having some familiarity with the plot and the ending of it will help immensely - otherwise some parts just won't make as much sense. I've only read it the once, I think, and many years ago at that, so you certainly don't need to be on intimate terms with it.

You're more likely to come away from each boook with a list of works you want to read

I've never found a crib sheet, although there may be something buried in the Jasper Fforde forums or website that lists them. But authors referenced include:
Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, Shakespeare, Arthur Conan Doyle, Jasper Fforde, the Brontes, Enid Blyton, George Eliot, Lewis Carroll, Leo Tolstoy, W E Johns...

Plus half a tonne of puns, daft references and so on.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote