Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-18-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
Mark_Twain
Mark_Twain began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Kobo Aura HD missing in device list

Hi all, I just installed Calibre and am learning how to use it. I'll get my Aura HD this week...
I saw bug #1169571 on launchpad (https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1169571) and that support for the Aura HD was added.

Nevertheless, I can't see "Aura HD" in the Manufacturer -> Device screen on startup. Selecting Kobo as manufacturer, I only see "Kobo Vox" and "Kobo and Kobo Touch Readers".

Do I need additional drivers or am I doing something wrong?
Thank you!
Mark
Mark_Twain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Twain View Post
Hi all, I just installed Calibre and am learning how to use it. I'll get my Aura HD this week...
I saw bug #1169571 on launchpad (https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/1169571) and that support for the Aura HD was added.

Nevertheless, I can't see "Aura HD" in the Manufacturer -> Device screen on startup. Selecting Kobo as manufacturer, I only see "Kobo Vox" and "Kobo and Kobo Touch Readers".

Do I need additional drivers or am I doing something wrong?
Thank you!
Mark
Just select Kobo and Kobo Touch.

All the Kobo eInk devices, in effect, have the same underlying architecture and firmware.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2013, 03:13 AM   #3
sos_sifou
sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Glo
The kobo aura has almost, if not, the same exact firmware of the kobo glo's latest update.
The same settings mentioned up there are working fine for my new kobo Glo :-)
sos_sifou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Now in Calibre 0.9.37 Kobo Aura HD is bundled together with Kobo Vox when selecting driver.
But Vox is not even an e-book reader, it is some LCD toy like iPad.
Isn't Aura closer to Glo - the same firmware and all.

Besides, the resolution is entirely different.
Speaking about resolution, shouldn't I be able to choose an output profile with the resolution of my device?
It might be important, for example, when converting pictures.

Aura HD has 1440 x 1080 resolution. Yet, I am forced to choose Kobo Reader with resolution 536x710
Even if I wanted to chose some other output profile (can I?) there is no similar resolution.

The same situation is with Sony PRS-T1/T2 - I am using landscape orientation with them, but Sony Reader Landscape output profile is for 784x1012 resolution when the resolution of T1/T2 in landscape is 800x600 (as opposed to 600x800)

Is there a way to create a custom output profile where I can set resolution myself?
That would be important also for the stand-alone Calibre converter, I don't see switches to specify output resolution there either and the profiles I need are either missing or with wrong resolution.

I do realize that the specified resolution might have to be lower than the device resolution in specs, especially with Aura where some space at the bottom seems to be not allowed to be used for the actual text of the book. Besides who knows how many pixels are not visible, outside the visible screen, covered by the frame.
So setting custom output resolution is very important.

As I am very new to Calibre, I hope it is possible, I just can't find how to do it.
Again, the stand-alone converter should support custom resolutions as well. I hope it does somehow.

UPDATE:

"Customize plugins" says " plugin does not need customization" for all output profile plugins, even the most generic ones.
That is really strange, where can I set the exact resolution in pixels I want to be used for picture conversions?

As it is now, I do this: I create an epub with Calibre converter, then replace pictures inside it with ones made by me with some picture converting tools.
I do this to preserve details in diagrams - Calibre tends to reduce picture resolutions too much.
I am convinced that I am missing that custom option somewhere, how else?

Last edited by parkher; 06-30-2013 at 09:21 AM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
For the nineteen thousand three hundred and eighty second time, just choose the Tablet output profile and stop worrying about image sizes. Which is what the welcome wizard will do for you if you choose vox/aura.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #6
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks.

It is pretty difficult for me, as I consider tablets suitable only as gifts or to practice shots to a trash basket

But seriously, there is this warning in Calibre:
" In some cases, an output profile is required to produce documents that will work on a device. For example EPUB on the SONY reader"

I do use Calibre converter to create epubs for Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-T2 in landscape orientation. And Sony-landscape resolution is just completely wrong for them.

So is there a way to set a custom output resolution?
It would be great for experimenting.
Conversion to the precise wanted resolution sometimes might be better than leaving it to the reader.
I need them for stand-alone ebook-convert.exe as well.

As it is now, Aura HD (1440 x 1080) and Sony PRS-T1/T2 landscape (600x800) do not have proper output profiles at all. (I don't know by how many pixels those resolutions have to be reduced - that is for experimenting)

Last edited by parkher; 06-30-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Again, just use the tablet output profile, everything will work.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
Thanks.

It is pretty difficult for me, as I consider tablets suitable only as gifts or to practice shots to a trash basket

But seriously, there is this warning in Calibre:
" In some cases, an output profile is required to produce documents that will work on a device. For example EPUB on the SONY reader"

I do use Calibre converter to create epubs for Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-T2 in landscape orientation. And Sony-landscape resolution is just completely wrong for them.

So is there a way to set a custom output resolution?
It would be great for experimenting.
Conversion to the precise wanted resolution sometimes might be better than leaving it to the reader.
I need them for stand-alone ebook-convert.exe as well.

As it is now, Aura HD (1440 x 1080) and Sony PRS-T1/T2 landscape (600x800) do not have proper output profiles at all. (I don't know by how many pixels those resolutions have to be reduced - that is for experimenting)
'Tablet' is (now) just a catch all for Larger screen (resolution).

Bin that (all those) sucker if it can't deal with less than optimal images... You sure can't optomize of the shelf DRM EPUB books.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
parkher
Evangelist

OK, clear, thanks.

But still, I would like to make a suggestion / a feature request:

to have in ebook-convert.exe switches, something like:

--output_resolution_x
--output_resolution_y

or just

--output_resolution=nXm

If present, those switches would override the resolution of the selected profile.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:10 AM   #10
Corran006
Connoisseur
Corran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
For the nineteen thousand three hundred and eighty second time, just choose the Tablet output profile and stop worrying about image sizes. Which is what the welcome wizard will do for you if you choose vox/aura.
I have a follow up question for the Kobo Aura Model (non HD) what should I be setting my welcome wizard to? Kobo & Kobo touch readers or Vox/Aura?

My second question is about the Input profile, I know you said to select tablet in the output but what should I be choosing in the input profile
Below when I am selecting output file I selected tablet like you have suggest, but does it matter what I set my input profile?

Thank you, sorry if this has been already answered.

Last edited by Corran006; 09-22-2013 at 02:19 AM.
Corran006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:56 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran006 View Post
I have a follow up question for the Kobo Aura Model (non HD) what should I be setting my welcome wizard to? Kobo & Kobo touch readers or Vox/Aura?

My second question is about the Input profile, I know you said to select tablet in the output but what should I be choosing in the input profile
Below when I am selecting output file I selected tablet like you have suggest, but does it matter what I set my input profile?

Thank you, sorry if this has been already answered.
For the output profile, the same rule applies to the Aura as the Aura HD. And I think to any current device: use Tablet. The only reason to choose a more specific device is if the device can't handle higher resolution images in the books. And this is not a problem for any of the Kobo devices.

The input profile, is actually about the books you are converting. It is about the device the books you are converting were for. So, if you have MOBI books you probably want to select Kindle. But use "Default Input Profile" if you aren't sure.

The help for this is on http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conv...tml#page-setup.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote