Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-24-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
leveck
Literate Gadget Fan
leveck is on a distinguished road

Device: Vulan Flipstart, Sony PRS 505
Lightbulb PDF -> JPG -> CBZ -> LRF

I had a pdf with photos, diagrams, etc... As an experiment, I cropped out the margins in acrobat pro, saved as jpgs (>400 of them), zipped them, renamed the zip to *.cbz, and used comic2lrf.exe to convert to bbeb.

Worked better than I would have guessed, readable and fast even @ ~100MB. Wouldn't recommend this for every pdf, but for ones with large enough print, and complex layouts/graphics, it works well.
leveck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:17 PM   #2
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Wow, good thinking!
There's more than one way to skin a cat...
BTW, love your "personal evolution."
I've got an old HP 200LX hanging around, untouched for the last couple of years, and I've been thinking about reviving it --- How was your experience with it as an ebook reader?

Tim

Last edited by Timoleon; 08-24-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-25-2008, 07:38 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So how do you use Acrobat Pro to crop the margins?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:06 AM   #4
leveck
Literate Gadget Fan
leveck is on a distinguished road

Device: Vulan Flipstart, Sony PRS 505
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
I've got an old HP 200LX hanging around, untouched for the last couple of years, and I've been thinking about reviving it --- How was your experience with it as an ebook reader?

Using vertical reader, it arranges text in landscape, so you hold the 200lx as a book. You need to convert your books to straight up text to read on the 200lx. For this reason alone, I wouldn't go back to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So how do you use Acrobat Pro to crop the margins?
There is a crop tool. You use it just like the crop tool in most graphics software, outline what you want to keep, hit enter, then click ok on a dialog and save your file.

Last edited by leveck; 08-25-2008 at 10:18 AM. Reason: To fix a spelling error.
leveck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:02 AM   #5
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I know this is an old thread but,what is the 'perfect' size for a jpg?
800x600 or smaller? (since the reader has a small baron the bottom).
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
jontylovell
jontylovell can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejontylovell can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejontylovell can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejontylovell can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejontylovell can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejontylovell can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejontylovell can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejontylovell can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejontylovell can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejontylovell can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejontylovell can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: WM6
Have you tried Comic Converter from www.jontylovell.net. It should help to take a lot of the hard work out of this kind of conversion.
jontylovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #7
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leveck View Post
There is a crop tool. You use it just like the crop tool in most graphics software, outline what you want to keep, hit enter, then click ok on a dialog and save your file.
There's also a crop pages menu option where you can enter L/R/T/B values or auto-crop, as well as select all pages, odd pages only, even pages only, page ranges, etc. There's quite a bit you can do with it once you get a handle on how it all works.

EDIT: Jesus, I just looked at the dates on these posts....
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
EDIT: Jesus, I just looked at the dates on these posts....
I don't start to care until its 2006 or earlier, especially when it is talking about old technologies or something. this thread is still current.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:55 PM   #9
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
I have a question for this.

Reading this it _sounds_ like you can take a collection of comics pages scanned as jpegs, bundle them into a single zip file, and use the extension ".cbz"

Then, one they're cbz archives, you can manipulate them in Calibre as if they were an ebook (which in the case of comics seems to mostly involve converting to different sizes and greyscale).

Is this correct? Do you have to do something to the jpegs to make sure they display in the correct order?
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #10
KNotTed
KNotTed is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600
cbz is a fairly common format for people that share scanned comic books (you might also see cbr, which uses a rar file instead of zip). As for sequence of pages, generally you just them named so that they would sort alphanumerically (i.e. page01.jpg, page02.jpg, etc.)
KNotTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #11
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Awesome. I've scanned some of my Elfquest comics in the past, time to see if I can bundle them and view them in Calibre.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:27 AM   #12
jontylovell
jontylovell can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejontylovell can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejontylovell can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejontylovell can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejontylovell can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejontylovell can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejontylovell can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejontylovell can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejontylovell can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejontylovell can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguejontylovell can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: WM6
Bundling

As I mentioned above you can use the new updated Comic Converter at www.jontylovell.net to bundle your comics. If all the jpegs are in one folder and are named alphanumerically then simply add the folder to the build list and click Convert. It will automatically build a valid .cbz file for you. It can also resize and convert file formats.
jontylovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:28 AM   #13
Gwen Morse
Addict

Thanks to folks for the help! I bundled my hand-scanned jpgs into a zip file and then gave it a .cbz extension. I downloaded a comic viewer and it viewed them in order without any issues.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #14
pbernard
pbernard began at the beginning.

Device: none
Why not online?

Ok, the thread is rather old... Just to let you know that I've just launched an online PDF to CBZ converter. With such site, there is no need to download and install some specific software. Just upload your PDF and download the resulting CBZ.
pbernard is offline   Reply With Quote