Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-29-2016, 02:11 PM   #1
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
Calibre 2.7 Unable to open Database file

Hi All. I've been trying to fix my daughters computer and hooked up her HD to my system to do diagnostics. This seemed to change some of my drive letter and since then I get an error communicating with device (although Calibre says I'm connected to my Aura) and get a pop up that says:

calibre, version 2.70.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

CantOpenError: unable to open database file

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 88, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 506, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1694, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 161, in device_database_connection
CantOpenError: CantOpenError: unable to open database file

Not sure if the change in drive letters has anything to do with this or a database file is corrupted or ??? Any help on this one? AtDhVaAnNkCsE
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 02:28 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Change the drive letter of the foreign drive to something above the normal detachable grouping (LMNO are good choices, Z down were old time Networked drive assignments)

Use the disk manager to change the letter, but do not tamper with the standard HD (usually C
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2016, 02:33 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
ninja'd

You could use Windows Disk Manager to change the drive letters so that your daughters HD doesn't intervene in your normal setup. Run : diskmgmt.msc

The change drive letter option is in the right click menu

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:49 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo29 View Post
Hi All. I've been trying to fix my daughters computer and hooked up her HD to my system to do diagnostics. This seemed to change some of my drive letter and since then I get an error communicating with device (although Calibre says I'm connected to my Aura) and get a pop up that says:

calibre, version 2.70.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

CantOpenError: unable to open database file

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 88, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 506, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1694, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 161, in device_database_connection
CantOpenError: CantOpenError: unable to open database file

Not sure if the change in drive letters has anything to do with this or a database file is corrupted or ??? Any help on this one? AtDhVaAnNkCsE
The drive letter allocated to the device doesn't matter unless it somehow was changed after the device was connected and after calibre detected it. That shouldn't happen, but restarting calibre should fix that.

When this happens, can you access the drive the device has been mounted on using Windows? Can you write to it? Also, do you have an SD card in the device? And if so, can you see it as well?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:57 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Recently, I could not see (from the W10 OS) my phones SD card .

Turns out, I had 'pinned' it to Explorers list for convenience .
Rebooting everything had no effect.

Then I unpinned the non-functioning shortcut

Unpin any detachable drives (that no longer work as expected)

I wonder if this is the root of the rash of "can't see SD card or removable devices" W10pro aniv_ed
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2016, 09:33 PM   #6
Gordo29
Connoisseur

Thanks for the replies. OK, seems as if the drive letter problem must be coincidental and unrelated to the "unable to open database" error. So, what to do to rectify the database error. Is it the database on the Kobo or on the PC? I tried connecting to my W8 (dual boot system) and had the same problem so my guess is on the device? I have Calibre on my laptop so I'll try that too and see if I have the same problem.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:49 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. OK, seems as if the drive letter problem must be coincidental and unrelated to the "unable to open database" error. So, what to do to rectify the database error. Is it the database on the Kobo or on the PC? I tried connecting to my W8 (dual boot system) and had the same problem so my guess is on the device? I have Calibre on my laptop so I'll try that too and see if I have the same problem.
The database being referred to in the error is on the device. The file it is in is "KoboReader.sqlite" in the directory ".kobo". As it fails under the two OSes on the same machine, either the database is corrupt, or there is something wrong with the USB port being used. If you get the same on the laptop, then it is the database.

You can check the database using the Kobo Utilities plugin or an SQLite database management tool. I suspect the plugin won't work as it uses the KoboTouch driver to open the database. You will probably see an error in the same line.

If it is the database, the device can keep working for a while. It is using in-memory structure read from the database. But, it will have problems saving any changes. If you restart the device, it will read the old and corrupt version of the database and you lose any changes that should have been made. The solution is to restore a recent backup if you have one, or sign out of the Kobo account on the device. This will generate a new database and reload any sideloaded books. Unfortunately, you will lose the reading status of any sideloaded books.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:51 PM   #8
Gordo29
Connoisseur

OK, just tried it on my laptop and get the exact same error. I assume this means the problem is with the Aura? Now what?
Old 10-31-2016, 10:29 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
OK, just tried it on my laptop and get the exact same error. I assume this means the problem is with the Aura? Now what?
Yes, it is most likely the device. You need to try what I suggested at the end of my last post: restore a backup if you have it, or sign out on the device.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:48 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Do you have multiple Kobo's attached at the same time?

Are you able to read books on your Kobo (using the Kobo standard reading s/w; not CoolReader or KoReder)?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:20 AM   #11
Gordo29
Connoisseur

No, I only have 1 Kobo and I can read books (or at least the one I'm currently reading), haven't tried other books in the library.

I'll try what Davidfor has suggested and see if that solves my problem. Thanks for all the advice, will keep you posted.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:03 AM   #12
Gordo29
Connoisseur

OK, did what David suggested and signed out and then back in. It looked like a new database was created (said it was processing). I then tried to connect to Calibre and had the same error. I'm guessing problem with the Aura drive/memory? I'm guessing I need to do a complete reset back to factory? Yikes, getting frustrating!
Old 11-01-2016, 01:10 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Apart from a factory reset, the only thing I can think if is to get Windows to do scan on the book partitions to see if there are any errors it can fix. I don't think it will help, but you can try.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:18 AM   #14
Gordo29
Connoisseur

Connected the Aura to W10 Anniversary PC and tried to access the Kobo. The memory card can be accessed but the Kobo drive is "not accessible". The Aura still works (I can read books, change settings, sync, etc.), so I assume this is the reason for the error in Calibre. Will a factory reset solve the problem or is there a less drastic measure I can try. Tried to use windows to scan the disk but get "disk not accessible" error.

Guess I'll use it as is for now. Can I sideload books by just adding them to the sd card?

signed: Hoping in Winterpeg

Last edited by Gordo29; 11-01-2016 at 01:22 AM.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:00 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Connected the Aura to W10 Anniversary PC and tried to access the Kobo. The memory card can be accessed but the Kobo drive is "not accessible". The Aura still works (I can read books, change settings, sync, etc.), so I assume this is the reason for the error in Calibre. Will a factory reset solve the problem or is there a less drastic measure I can try. Tried to use windows to scan the disk but get "disk not accessible" error.
If it is the actual Win10 Anniversary Edition, than the Kobo device will not work. Kobo are fiddling with the boot sector and MS decided that that was illegal. That has been fixed. MS released updates that let it happen and the next Kobo firmware doesn't do that fiddling. Or does it in a way that MS is OK with. There is a big long thread in the Kobo forum here discussing this. If this is the problem, you won't be able to use Windows to view the main storage of the device at all. And you will probably get a prompt about formatting the drive.

If this is the problem, the best thing to do is let Windows update itself. MS released a fix for this about a month after they broke it. The firmware update hasn't been released for anything other than the two new devices. You can use this on the older devices without to much risk.
Quote:
Guess I'll use it as is for now. Can I sideload books by just adding them to the sd card?
Yes, that will work. If Windows is seeing the external SD card when the device is connected, then it should process the books when you eject he device. Or, you can take the card out and copy the books onto it and then put it back into the device.