Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-26-2017, 02:48 PM   #31
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I don't really see much of anything on those pictures either. I can't even tell that there is a kindle on the right.

I can read 6 in a totally dark room, although I never read like that. But anything below I wouldn't be able to make out words anymore. On a Voyage or Oasis.

Normal mode Oasis at 1 or 2 light would only be readable in daytime light for me. Never in any dark situation.

But then I am night blind and light sensitive at the same time. . Its also why I could never read on a lighted kindle in a pitch dark room. There must be some sort of side light somewhere, even if its a candle, or a small side lamp. Then reading at 8 with Voyage and Oasis is comfortable.

Interesting as always to see how different all of our eyes are. I love that I can now not only adjust the light and font size, but also the boldness. I found it now as important as the light level. If I turn up the boldness at night a notch, I can have much better contrast at the same light level so I still don't burn my eyeballs out in the dark.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:41 PM   #32
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Normal mode Oasis at 1 or 2 light would only be readable in daytime light for me. Never in any dark situation.

But then I am night blind and light sensitive at the same time.
Well... FWIW I have rather good night vision (nowhere near-as-good day vision), but I can't read at <5 on an Oasis 1 either and 5 is a strain, even with the screen right up against my face.

In any case: having good night vision really means you have good rods and/or are good at using the rods you've got. Since rods are mostly outside the fovea and are actually at *lower* density inside the fovea this isn't going to help with reading at all unless you have a most unusual way of reading, only with peripheral vision and the associated grasping-whole-scenes stuff. What you need to read at setting 1 or 2 on an Oasis 1 is either *cones* that are astonishingly good at functioning at low light levels (not much to do with night vision, since that is a property of rods), or a brain really good at extrapolating from almost no input... or an Oasis with much brighter LEDs than mine!
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:54 AM   #33
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
The oasis flashes to white in inverted mode? That's terrible. Your eyes adjust to a certain brightness and every x page there's like a flash bulb going off. Not to mention you're using inverted mode to begin with either because you have certain sensitivity or are trying to minimize light.

Last edited by Barty; 11-27-2017 at 12:56 AM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:05 PM   #34
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
The oasis flashes to white in inverted mode? That's terrible. Your eyes adjust to a certain brightness and every x page there's like a flash bulb going off. Not to mention you're using inverted mode to begin with either because you have certain sensitivity or are trying to minimize light.
Yeah, kind of defeats the purpose. There is some small chance that it was fixed in the update. Can someone with an updated Oasis 2 confirm one way or the other?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:42 PM   #35
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I just did a test on the inverted in the closet.

It only refreshes, which then is whit-ish once in a while. I kept counting, one time it was 25 pages, then it was 20, 15, etc.
Until I figured out it refreshed every time there was a new chapter starting.

It is a very brief "flash" and even though my eyes are sensitive, I didn't really notice it much. Its not glaring, I had the light at 9 by the way for that. The lower the light, the less flashing there will be. But its only every so many pages. 20 or thereabouts. Not sure about the book that doesn't have any chapters.

The flash isn't any more bright than if you read on normal mode in a dark room and what the backround is then.

It didn't bother me, but I couldn't read with a black backround anyway, my eyes don't like that.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:52 PM   #36
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I just did a test on the inverted in the closet.

It only refreshes, which then is whit-ish once in a while. I kept counting, one time it was 25 pages, then it was 20, 15, etc.
Until I figured out it refreshed every time there was a new chapter starting.

It is a very brief "flash" and even though my eyes are sensitive, I didn't really notice it much. Its not glaring, I had the light at 9 by the way for that. The lower the light, the less flashing there will be. But its only every so many pages. 20 or thereabouts. Not sure about the book that doesn't have any chapters.

The flash isn't any more bright than if you read on normal mode in a dark room and what the backround is then.

It didn't bother me, but I couldn't read with a black backround anyway, my eyes don't like that.
Thank you, I guess for books with chapters less than 20 pages, people can prepare for the flash.

Some people read in inverted mode because the darkest setting in normal mode is too bright for them, which would also be the case for the flash in inverted mode, defeating the purpose.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:10 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Some people read in inverted mode because the darkest setting in normal mode is too bright for them, which would also be the case for the flash in inverted mode, defeating the purpose.
Unfortunately it is inherent in EPD technology that an occasional screen inversion is necessary to remove ghosting. I must admit that after using EPD devices for so long, I'm no longer even consciously aware of the "flash"; my brain just filters it out.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:26 PM   #38
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unfortunately it is inherent in EPD technology that an occasional screen inversion is necessary to remove ghosting. I must admit that after using EPD devices for so long, I'm no longer even consciously aware of the "flash"; my brain just filters it out.
The flashing for black text on white background never bothered me and I stopped even noticing it very quickly when I got my first e-ink reader. The flashing for white text on a black background is still quite noticeable during the day and bothers me at night.

I am impressed that they can do 20 page turns without ghosting. I remember when I could see ghosting after 2 page turns without refresh and 3 or 4 were really bad. (That was after devices had an option to go 6 pages without refresh.) Just bringing up a menu then going back to reading would leave a horrible menu ghost.

But, still, they need to do something about the white flashing in a dark room. The inverted colors are an accessibility feature, after all. The flashing may be inherent in the display, but the frontlight can be automatically turned off while it is happening.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:53 PM   #39
challe232
Connoisseur
challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It's interesting how my voyage looks nothing like yours. I cant help but notice the big black spot in the bottom middle.
challe232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:09 PM   #40
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by challe232 View Post
It's interesting how my voyage looks nothing like yours. I cant help but notice the big black spot in the bottom middle.
I was very disappointed about that. I don't notice it above brightness 8 or so. I was glad my Oasis 2 doesn't have any dark or bright spots, but others have posted that theirs do.So there is still some device to device variability.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:20 PM   #41
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

oasis 2 video showing flashing in inverted black and white mode

I'm attaching a video showing the Oasis 2 flashing in inverted black and white mode. The camera makes mov videos so I've put it in a zip file. It plays on my LG TV and with mplayer and VLC in linux.
Attached Files
File Type: zip oasis2inv.zip (5.56 MB, 199 views)
Old 12-05-2017, 08:04 AM   #42
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
I am sure it is a pretty movie, but I can see it on my own Oasis now. Very interesting Trivia: in inverse video mode even the screensavers are inverted.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:10 AM   #43
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I'm attaching a video showing the Oasis 2 flashing in inverted black and white mode. The camera makes mov videos so I've put it in a zip file. It plays on my LG TV and with mplayer and VLC in linux.
That is terrible. I hope they do an update (firmware?) that turns off the LEDs during flashing in inverted mode. That seems like it should be simple enough.

It's bad enough I would never consider using the inverted mode.
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:17 PM   #44
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
I'm glad the flashing doesn't bother me. It only seems to happen at every chapter, but to be honest, I don't even notice it. I really love reading in the white-on-black mode in a dark room. My husband hasn't seemed to notice the flashing either whereas he certainly noticed and sometimes complained about the light from the Voyage.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 01:20 PM   #45
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheostaticsfan View Post
That is terrible. I hope they do an update (firmware?) that turns off the LEDs during flashing in inverted mode. That seems like it should be simple enough.

It's bad enough I would never consider using the inverted mode.
I completely agree that they release an update that turns off the LEDs during flashing in inverted mode, otherwise it is particularly cruel to those that actually need, rather than just prefer inverted mode.

But for an unillustrated book with with clear chapter endings (and chapters around 20 screens, or less), it should be easy enough to blink or avert eyes.

Tags
koa2, oasis 2017, screen, voyage