Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-31-2014, 02:23 PM   #1
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Authorization failure with Overdrive app

I have a Microsoft Surface tablet running Windows RT. I downloaded the Overdrive app and tried to authorize it with my Adobe ID. However, everytime I try to do so I get the following error message:

Quote:
Your ID and/or password are incorrect. If this is a new Adobe ID, please try again in a few minutes. If the problem persists, please visit Adobe's website to verify your credentials or create a new ID. (authorization failure: cus05051)
I'm not sure what the exact issue is. My ID and password are both correct. I wonder if I have too many devices authorized. I had another tablet with the Overdrive app on it. However, it was stolen. I also have a smartphone with the app that was authorized as well as an old smartphone with the app that I gave away to someone else.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:54 AM   #2
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
I don't think you have too many devices authorized, otherwise the error message you're getting would specify that. I, on the other hand, AM getting the dreaded "too may devices authorized" error message from Adobe Digital Editions ("ADE").

I don't have 6 devices registered, but ADE thinks I do. Problem is, the Google Play version of Overdrive keeps overwriting the NOOK version, requiring me to delete the former and download/reauthorize the latter. I finally got fed up, deleted the NOOK version, and redownloaded the Google Play version. Unfortunately, when I tried to authorize Google's version, I received the message that too many devices were authorized, and I must contact Adobe to reset my authorizations.

Apparently, ADE counts each authorization - even if it's of the same app on the same device - as authorization of a new device. Adobe's customer service reps - I had to speak to two, because the first one sent me to the forums to get help, and the forums all send one to customer service to get help - were polite, but time-consuming and of zero help, ultimately. Bottom line: one must ask ADE Tech Support (not Customer Service reps available 24/7 via webchat) to reset one's authorizations. And Tech Support only works limited hours, on M-F. Grrrr!

In the future, I'll deauthorize ADE on a device before deleting Overdrive from it, in hopes of avoiding a recurrence of this problem. (Of course, it's impossible to reauthorize a device that no longer functions, or has been lost or stolen, so there's no sure-fire way to avoid incurring this problem.)

As I told the second customer service rep, there are numerous people in the same boat, and the 24/7 customer service webchat staff is not equipped to handle this common problem. For that reason, and because tech support's schedule is limited, inconvenient, and creates such a bottleneck, I wish Adobe would establish a means for users to reset their OWN ADE accounts.

Last edited by Froide; 06-01-2014 at 07:37 PM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe digital edition, authorization failure, overdrive