Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-10-2018, 09:42 PM   #16
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I believe there is no such thing as whispersync deals???? Do you mean you want a good deal for an ebook with audible for an addl cost???
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The idea is to get a good deal on an audiobook. Buying Whispersync pairs (ebook + audiobook) is usually cheaper than buying just the audiobook.
Yes, I should have mentioned in the O.P. (Opening Post of the thread) what tubemonkey just wrote. And I should mention it on the thread myself from time to time. I just don't think, as often as I should, about the fact that some people are new; I just noticed that you, for example, haven't been a member very long.

The Whispersync deal gives you the ebook, the audiobook, and automatic sync'ing of the two together (illustration, as far as the sync'ing benefit is concerned: you can listen to the audio of a book for a while, then decide to start reading in the ebook. Instead of flipping through the ebook trying to find where you left off in your listening, Amazon automatically starts the ebook where you left off with the audio).

However, Amazon has structured things to where buying the WS deal is usually cheaper than buying the audiobook, by itself, from Audible. It makes sense, when that is the case, to get the WS deal instead of buying the audiobook separately (read the caveat, however, three paragraphs down from this one). Yes, you might get an ebook that you really don't want. So what? If you don't want the ebook, you can just ignore it, possibly delete it from your library, whatever.

As an illustration and example, my last post was the WS deal for Good to Great to Gone. I checked the price at Audible just now. It is $21.95. The price of the entire WS deal is only $2.98. You get the same audio from Audible that you otherwise would have paid $21.95 for!

You can score the better deals on audiobooks obtained this way when an ebook, that has a Whispersync audio companion, is marked down. The ebook represents a portion of the cost of the WS deal, so when the price of the ebook goes down, the price of the entire WS deal necessarily goes down. In the case of Good to Great to Gone, the ebook has been marked down all of the way to 99 cents.

Now, having a credit membership with Audible changes the equation, since you can pay for audiobooks with credits that you get as a part of your membership. In the above example, the cost of the audiobook is 1 credit. Only you can decide whether or not you you would rather pay the $2.98, and save the credit that you would have used to buy the audiobook, or use a credit to buy that audiobook. All the while, however, you need to keep in mind the fact that you do pay $14.95(?) each month for the two(?) credits that you get. Decisions, decisions.

(I have a membership in which I pay $9.95 a year, get no credits, but get to take advantage, where I would not otherwise, of many of the exclusive sales that Audible has from time to time. It works for me. YMMV).

Unfortunately, like some other great deals that it used to have, Amazon has made it tougher to find cheap WS deals. They've done that by increasing the price of most of the Whispersync audio narrations. Where it used to be common to get an audio narration for, if my memory serves me well, $3.95, $2.95, and even $1.95, those kinds of prices are much harder to find now. Those were the good ole' days. However, there are still good WS deals here and there; Good to Great to Gone is one of the better ones that I've come across.

I know that I've been wordy. I'm going to try to post on the O.P. an edited version of the above information, so that newbies quickly might be brought up to speed on what WS deals are and how buying them might help save them money. Please let me know if I have given any incorrect information, and even let me know if I could have expressed things in a better, clearer way. I'm thick-skinned.

The purpose of this thread is for members to post cheap WS deals that they come across. If it's not asking too much, please get in a habit when you are on an Amazon webpage for an ebook to check to see if there is a Whispersync (audio) companion and, if so, what the price is. If you consider the WS deal cheap, then please post it!

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-11-2018 at 12:17 AM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:13 AM   #17
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Amazon has announced a new round of "Kindle Exclusives."

I say "new," but unfortunately I have seen some of these ebooks in previous lists of Kindle Exclusives.

For the benefit of newbies, Kindle Exclusives are apparently the richest source of cheap Whispersync deals that we have anymore. I found a WS deal of $2.98 ($0.99-ebook + $1.99-WS audio) fairly readily just now.

Here is the link to the ebooks that have WS audio narration. The search limits the hits to books rated 4 stars and higher. They also are sorted by price, low to high. Of course, you are free to sort them any way that you would like to.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-14-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Advert
Old 03-13-2018, 02:36 PM   #18
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Create Your Own Whispersync Deal. Well, Kinda.

One of the audiobooks on sale in Audible's current audiobook sale is Martin Luther: A Life Inspired. It is $6.08 (yes, some of the audiobooks in the sale are less than $6.95. I'm not complaining, mind you. ).

The corresponding ebook, Martin Luther: A Life Inspired, happens to be free right now.

Put the two together and you almost have a Whispersync deal. You only lack, possibly, the syncing benefit of a true WS deal (and there's something in the back of my head that makes me think that if you buy an ebook from Amazon, and the corresponding audiobook from Audible later, or vice versa, they'll automaticaly sync anyway. I'll be checking into this to make sure).

Total: only $6.08.

The link for the free ebook.
The link for the $6.08 audiobook.

A couple of, maybe three, caveats:
1. The ebook is only 118 pages long. That translates into only 1 hour, 22 seconds of listening time.
2. My impression of the author, Wyatt North, and the publisher, Wyatt North, LLC, is that they are staunchly Roman Catholic. Yet, the description for the ebook, located here, speaks of Luther in glowing terms. But the publisher also publishes a book on C.S. Lewis, who was an Anglican if memory serves me correctly, and it apparently speaks well of him.
3. There are apparently no ratings yet for the ebook at Amazon or the audiobook at Audible. The only rating that I could find was a 5.00 at GoodReads, and it is based on only one rating.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-14-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:47 PM   #19
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I'm not sure I KNOW what a Whispersync deal is!

And I've been messing around with Amazon and ebooks in general for a good 12 years, at least! Can someone elaborate?

Ahhh! Never mind! I should have read some more of the thread!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #20
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
And I've been messing around with Amazon and ebooks in general for a good 12 years, at least! Can someone elaborate?

Ahhh! Never mind! I should have read some more of the thread!
Amazon expresses the essence of Whispersync well on webpages such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=nav_sho...ode=5744819011. One of the two banner ads near the top of the page is relevant. Follow the links about Whispersync that you see near (and in) the banner ad.

Those do a much better job of explaining it that I can, and the graphics are in "living color" (people under the age of 50 or so, you'll need to ask your parents or grandparents where that expression came from. Ack!).
Advert
Old 03-14-2018, 04:01 PM   #21
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Even the little crumb crunchers (kids) like Whispersync . . . .

First, I'll give you the price for this Whispersync deal, so you'll know whether or not you want to continue reading about the book. It's $3.59 ($2.99-ebook + $0.60-audio).

This deal for the kiddos is on Ivy and Bean (Book 1). It's written by Annie Barrows and illustrated by Sophie Blackall. With 120 pages, it seems fairly long for a children's book.

Amazon states that it is suitable for children of grade level 1 - 5; age level 6 - 10.

Blurb:
The moment they saw each other, Bean and Ivy knew they wouldn't be friends. But when Bean plays a joke on her sister, Nancy, and has to hide, quick! Ivy comes to the rescue, proving that sometimes the best of friends are people never meant to like each other. Vibrant characters and lots of humor make this a charming - and addictive - introduction to a new series.

The webpage at Amazon for the book says that the book includes bonus material:
[A] sneak peek chapter from the next book in the Ivy + Bean series Ivy and Bean and the Ghost That Had to Go by Annie Barrows, illustrated by Sophie Blackall.

It's rated an impressive 4.7 stars, from 826 reviews, at Amazon.

Learn more and/or get the deal here.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-15-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:32 AM   #22
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

How does $1.99 sound for a Whispersync deal on an 168-page, highly-rated ebook?

Well, that's what you can get below. The ebook currently is free (regular $7.99), and the audio narration is $1.99. Total: $1.99 for the ebook, audiobook, and sync'ing of the two.

It's Shopping for a Billionaire 1 (Shopping for a Billionaire series), by Julia Kent.

See the details, and order if you so desire, from here.

Yes, cheap WS deals are still out there. Amazon's just making it a lot harder to find them.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-15-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:40 AM   #23
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

The horror subgenre more to your liking?

There's a Whispersync deal for Trapped--A Novel of Terror (The Konrath Horror Collection). There are 332 pages to the ebook. It's got high ratings, also.

The regular price of the ebook is $12.95. Thanks to a markdown to $0.00 on that portion, and a great price ($1.99) on the audio narration, the WS deal is only $1.99.

Go here to check into it some more.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-15-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:06 PM   #24
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Great Whispersync Deal on a Thriller Omnibus.

William H. Lovejoy's Danger Zones: An Aviation Thriller Omnibus is available as a Whispersync deal for only $8.48.

No, I don't consider that a good deal for a single book, but this is an omnibus. There are four books in the collection.

The WS deal for each of the books averages out to only $2.12 ($8.48 divided by four). With 1472 pages total over those four books, the average number of pages per book is 368!

And there's nothing wrong with the ratings, either. The omnibus averages 4.8 stars, from 8 reviews at Amazon, and 4.15 from 20 ratings at GoodReads.

Get it here.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:21 PM   #25
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Duplicate. My apologies.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #26
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Looks like a romance . . . .

Franco (Bright Side Book 3), by Kim Holden; Amy Donnelly (Editor).

Superlative ratings--4.7 stars, from 284 reviews.

Get the WS deal for $3.98 ($0.99-ebook; $2.99-audio). The audio alone, at Audible, is $20.95!

275 pages/7 hours, 15 minutes listening time.

Get the entire deal here.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:28 PM   #27
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Only $2.98 for Whispersync Deal on an Highland Fire Book by Tanya Anne Crosby.

$2.98, coming from a $0.99 ebook + a $1.99 audio).

It's part of a series: Book 2 of Guardians of the Stone. Looks like an historical romance. Of course, I know next to nothing about fiction, and even less about historical fiction in particular. But, it seems to be a popular book, with 471 people rating it at Amazon. And the ratings average out at 4.5 stars.

335 pages.

https://www.amazon.com/Highland-Fire...dp/B00GURKA7U/.

You won't need to check to see if any other ebooks in the series have great WS deals--I'm about to check that for you.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-17-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:31 PM   #28
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

HeeHee.

There's only two books in the series so far.

Book 1 has a WS deal, but the price is "meh" at best.

I'll do some more digging around tonight. It's late, but I've been in bed all day with these blasted seasonal allergies. I've swooned a little bit now.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-17-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:54 PM   #29
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Additional $2.98 Blood on the Stars Whispersync Deal.

Quote:
The two titles are these:
Ruins of Empire (Blood on the Stars Book 3).
Cauldron of Fire (Blood on the Stars Book 5).

From the pictures on the covers, and the title of the books, I have to assume that the Blood on the Stars series is a science fiction series.

The ebooks themselves are $0.99 each. The WS audio for each one is $1.99. So, the total for each WS deal is only $2.98! FYI--the audio alone at Audible is $21.95 for each title!

Both of these are long, as books--430 pages for the Cauldron of Fire title; 378 pages for Ruins of Empire. Expect the audios to be commensurately long.

These books must be good. For one thing, the series currently consists of 7 titles (the 7th one being published just yesterday, March 18). And the two titles currently under discussion both have over 4.5-star ratings at Amazon.

Ruins of Empire (Book 3).
Cauldron of Fire (Book 5).
The WS deal for Call to Arms (Book 2 of the Blood on the Stars series) has dropped way down in price now, also. The deal now is the same price as the two above ($2.98), and for the same reason--the Audible narration has dropped in price to $1.99.

This present book is rated 4.7 stars, from 273 reviews at Amazon. It's 442 pages (= big bang for the buck). Just for "kicks," I checked Audible to see what they charge there for the audibook book alone; it's $21.95. Tough decision to know which way to go, huh.

Methinks that WS deals on other ebooks in the series probably will drop soon, if they haven't already. I'll try to monitor that in the next few days.

Call to Arms (Blood on the Stars Book 2).

[Sorry, I managed to erase the post that I quoted from, above. What I did also caused this post to appear before one (#30) that I initially had posted after it. G.]

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-20-2018 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:10 PM   #30
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Kindle Exclusives for the Week.

Every Sunday or Monday or so, Amazon releases the "Kindle Exclusives" for the week.

All Kindle Exclusives ebooks are published by Amazon or one of its imprints.

Amazon has a program, called "Whispersync," for some of the ebooks that they sell. With Whispersync, you generally can get the corresponding audiobook to an ebook cheaper than you could by buying the audiobook alone from Audible, even when considering the price of the ebook. With a Kindle Exclusives ebook, however, you generally can get the corresponding audiobook even cheaper than you would for the audiobook for a non-Kindle Exclusives. That's the (very) short version; for much more information about the benefit of a Whispersync deal, please look at some posts about it, scattered throughout this thread.

This link gives all of the current Kindle Exclusives ebooks with audio narrations, sorted by price low to high, and with average ratings of 4.0 or more. You can adjust the search to whatever you wish. Note: on the lefthand column you can refine the returned search hits to a specific genre or subgenre.

As for me, I'm going to do a search right away for my favorite subgenre--romance.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 03-19-2018 at 10:25 PM.