Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
soheil4
soheil4 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exclamation create a shortcut to ebook file

Hi
Can Calibre create a shortcut to ebook file in Calibre Library folder instead of copying the main ebook file? I think it is waste of hard disk space and it can be more practical to use shortcut.
thanks
soheil4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soheil4 View Post
Hi
Can Calibre create a shortcut to ebook file in Calibre Library folder instead of copying the main ebook file? I think it is waste of hard disk space and it can be more practical to use shortcut.
thanks
Please read here (be sure to read both FAQ link and the spoiler).

Once you have all your books copied into calibre, there is no real need to keep your original files unless you want to keep them for back up purposes. Many people here (including me) do keep their original files (in my case it started out as paranoia but now it's just habit; if I run out of room on the disk, those original files are history). If you do not feel you have room to keep the original files and calibre's files, you can safely delete the original files (keeping a back up of all your files, including calibre's is a good idea, however) since, if ever you should need them again (such as you decide to change book management programs), you can use Save to Disk to restore your files however you want them (and probably in a more consistant format than you originally had).

The only way I can think of to get a short cut would be to manually create one for each book.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:13 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Hi
thanks
Besides the standard Calibre file system answer

1) The file name inside Calibre DOES NOT always match my input file.
2) You want the shortcut transferred to your device? The file inside the library is what gets transfered.
3) What does Calibre do if you move/change YOUR book file ?
<sarcasm>
4) Is 'File delete' (or move (to archival media)) broken on your system?
</sarcasm>
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:13 AM   #4
soheil4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post

Once you have all your books copied into calibre, there is no real need to keep your original files unless you want to keep them for back up purposes. Many people here (including me) do keep their original files (in my case it started out as paranoia but now it's just habit; if I run out of room on the disk, those original files are history). If you do not feel you have room to keep the original files and calibre's files, you can safely delete the original files (keeping a back up of all your files, including calibre's is a good idea, however) since, if ever you should need them again (such as you decide to change book management programs), you can use Save to Disk to restore your files however you want them (and probably in a more consistant format than you originally had).

The only way I can think of to get a short cut would be to manually create one for each book.
Thanks for your answer. I know that I can delete the ebook files from calibre's folder but there is a problem; I can't open the book from calibre after doing that!
Old 02-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
soheil4

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Besides the standard Calibre file system answer

1) The file name inside Calibre DOES NOT always match my input file.
2) You want the shortcut transferred to your device? The file inside the library is what gets transfered.
3) What does Calibre do if you move/change YOUR book file ?
<sarcasm>
4) Is 'File delete' (or move (to archival media)) broken on your system?
</sarcasm>
Hi
If book files are changed/moved, calibre can act like another programs. It can give and message and request to browse for file.
I think this feature can be optional but very useful.

Thanks
Old 02-07-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post

Quote:
Thanks for your answer. I know that I can delete the ebook files from calibre's folder but there is a problem; I can't open the book from calibre after doing that!
I wasn't refering to deleting the calibre files; I was saying you could delete your original files (the ones you had before putting them in calibre) to save space. You could, of course, delete the calibre files and manually replace them with a shortcut but 1) it would have to be done book by book (which would very tedious if you had very many books) and 2) as the ducks pointed out, you would not be be able to load any books on your e-book reader from calibre so I do not recommend doing so.

What you are proposing defeats the whole purpose of calibre. You need to trust it to properly manage your books (not just act as a file manager). Again, if disk space is a concern, just delete your original books or copy them to an external harddrive (best), a thumbdrive or CDs/DVDs (less reliable for long term storage). You should always maintain a back up of all your files and your original files could serve as your calibre backup but restoring them would be a tedious process. Better would be to just delete your original files then keep a copy of the entire calibre library folder for your backup.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
No. Your idea has merit, but it has been discussed before and for various reasons it has been dismissed by the developer. This sticky post indirectly addresses this question.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-07-2011 at 11:30 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote