Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #31
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Thoughts?
Generally, publication order in this series is chronological order. However, I would recommend chronological order where they differ.

Falling Free is set in the same universe, but is not actually part of the series (which is why I mentioned it separately back in my original suggestions).
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:48 AM   #32
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Well, I just read Chapter 1, of "Shards of Honor," on Amazon and couldn't put my computer down.

I was caught, like a zombie in a giant spider web filled with decomposing body parts. So I bought the ebook!

Interestingly - ALWAYS INTERESTINGLY! - this book is listed as #2 (on the cover!) in the Vorkosigan Saga series.

Undeterred, and quite thoroughly having enjoyed reading that first chapter, I look forward to reading it while this discussion continues.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2016, 12:29 PM   #33
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Shards of Honor and Barrayar. The first two books in the series proper, they detail the adventures of Cordelia Naismith of Beta Colony and Aral Vorkosigan of Barrayar. Shards was my very first novel ever; Barrayar was actually my eighth, but continues the tale the next day after the end of Shards. For readers who want to be sure of beginning at the beginning, or who are very spoiler-sensitive, start with these two."
[(bold added).
I've recommended Bujold's Vorkosigan novels to many folks and I always recommend that they start with these two novels. After these two you can read them in most any order, depending on how you feel about filling in the blanks. Some of the later novels benefit from having read the one that was published just before.

Bujold was one of the joys that happened because I bought that first Sony e-reader and was looking for novels to read on it and discovered Baen. I hadn't read any science fiction since my youth and discovering such a great writer who'd published a lot was a real find.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 02:18 PM   #34
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
3, I know, 4 I'm at a loss. And she has explained some times the difference between 1 and 2. Shards of Honor was written before but not published (Nobody wanted a romance-sci-fi-whatever), so she was able to publish Apprentice of Warrior.
If you are wondering about number 4) Omnibus order, The various Omnibus volumes came out in a somewhat odd order.

I started reading her books way back in 86, so I read them in publishing order. Either order will work.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:34 PM   #35
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post

I started reading her books way back in 86, so I read them in publishing order. Either order will work.
I did to the first time. Each time after that it has been in chronological order.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2016, 01:37 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
The other consideration is that if you're looking for a series to get hooked on, Shards of Honor will do it. Falling Free will give you no particular reason to read on.

Graham
Yes, Falling Free will give a very good reason to read on. It's enjoyable and you'll want to read more.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 03:13 AM   #37
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Further research on this issue by ME (which, surprisingly no one has yet fully addressed), is that - APPARENTLY - there are different TYPES of a recommended reading order involved

1) Publication
2) Chronological
3) One's own reading order
4) Omnibus reading order

which seems to be a reason for the FRIENDLY debate here in this thread over a 'PROPER' reading order.

Thoughts?
Personally if I am starting a series that already has many books out. I usually go with chronological order as I like the story to flow in one direction. That's the reason I hate it when authors release prequels or short stories that are between books that have already come out. Never watched star wars 1-3 for that reason as well
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:13 AM   #38
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Never watched star wars 1-3 for that reason as well
I'm jealous
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:43 AM   #39
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's been a while, but I thought people in this thread would be interested to know that there have been two more Penric Novellas since November 2016:

Mira's Last Dance, published 27 Feb 2017
Penric's Fox, published 7 August 2017

Mira's Last Dance is an immediate continuation of Penric's Mission.
Penric's Fox is set between Penric and the Shaman and Penric's Mission

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-31-2017 at 03:06 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-20-2017, 04:07 AM   #40
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Thank you, I discovered through goodreads this week. I've enjoyed Penric's fox, but, although I've begun Mira's last dance, it doesn't pull me.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:22 PM   #41
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
It's been a while, but I thought people in this thread would be interested to now that there have been two more Penric Novellas since November 2016:

Mira's Last Dance, published 27 Feb 2017
Penric's Fox, published 7 August 2017

Mira's Last Dance is an immediate continuation of Penric's Mission.
Penric's Fox is set between Penric and the Shaman and Penric's Mission
Thank you the posting Pdurrand. I have been following the Penric series. I will have to pick these up

Last edited by Gardenman; 08-30-2017 at 09:33 PM.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #42
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

There's now a sixth book The Prisoner of Limnos, published 26th October 2017.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #43
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
There's now a sixth book The Prisoner of Limnos, published 26th October 2017.
Yes, thank you. I've added Lois McMaster's goodreads blog to my feed, as it looks like it's the only way to know this in advance (Amazon warnings are laughable -> A month late more or less)
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:07 PM   #44
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes, Falling Free will give a very good reason to read on. It's enjoyable and you'll want to read more.
I never thought I would say it, but, for once, I agree with Jon.

I read Falling Free first because some list I consulted said it was #1 in this universe series. I wanted to read this universe because of all the awards the author had won for it.

I greatly enjoyed Falling Free and thus I was quite happy with following my plan of reading the rest of this series. Had I not enjoyed it I possibly may have terminated my plan to continue reading the series; which is possibly the only reason not to read it first.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 03:09 PM   #45
Larla
Addict
Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Larla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab S5E 12" Tablet
Quote:
(I will ONLY buy from Amazon, please. Anything less is simply....laughable.) To wit:
Literally, anything less is simply....cheaper.
Larla is offline   Reply With Quote