Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-13-2015, 04:22 PM   #1
Lori Reeser
Enthusiast
Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tab M10
Question Link dictionary app to ereader?

I'm switching from a Nook to an Android, and I'm looking for an ereader that I can link directly to a dictionary app. (It'll be either Merriam-Webster or OED or maybe both.) I learned from another post that dictionaries are not standardized yet for ereaders.

I also have some other desires (ability to hyperlink outside the .epub, ability to access notes without opening epub) but the dictionary is the biggie.

I use Calibre and read only epubs. None of my epubs have DRM, except library books. I'll probably use CC, but that's not as vital as the dictionary.

Does anyone have any recommendations or references to somewhere I can find out about this stuff?
Lori Reeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 05:58 PM   #2
itisbomb
Addict
itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itisbomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Reeser View Post
I'm switching from a Nook to an Android, and I'm looking for an ereader that I can link directly to a dictionary app. (It'll be either Merriam-Webster or OED or maybe both.) I learned from another post that dictionaries are not standardized yet for ereaders.

I also have some other desires (ability to hyperlink outside the .epub, ability to access notes without opening epub) but the dictionary is the biggie.

I use Calibre and read only epubs. None of my epubs have DRM, except library books. I'll probably use CC, but that's not as vital as the dictionary.

Does anyone have any recommendations or references to somewhere I can find out about this stuff?
I don't know whether there is any ePub-reader app that will provide a direct link to Merriam-Webster or OED. But if you can settle for Wordnet dictionary (by Princeton University), you can download ColorDict for free. Then use Moon+ (free app) or Moon+ Pro as your reader app. It will allow you to access ColorDict directly when you press and hold on any word.

Why don't you try Wordnet dict online first and see if you like it? Here is the web link http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
itisbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2015, 04:01 PM   #3
Lori Reeser
Enthusiast
Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the help! I think I know what I'm going to do now.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:14 PM   #4
Tikker
Zealot
Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tikker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy S7, Kobo Aura
if you were to use Aldiko, it's built in to just straight up google words
Tikker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:18 AM   #5
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I recommend UB reader the best i tried.
[https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....ubreader_west

You can download a dictionary from there website.
http://www.mobisystems.com/dictionaries/

long press on a word will open a popup box whit translate/dictionary.

free offline English dictionary: http://www.mobisystems.com/android/a...ary-thesaurus/

Last edited by oren64; 03-31-2015 at 10:00 AM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
Lori Reeser
Enthusiast

I've gone with Moon+ Reader and the ColorDict dictionary. I am also testing the Oxford English Dictionary. Since I can copy from the reader and paste into the dictionary it is almost as fast as the internal dictionary. Also, since I am interested in word roots and usage Oxford is best. Another dictionary I use is the Farlex. It's fast and can also do phrases and places. It's faster than Wicktionary which takes forever to load.

Right now I have a size limit because I can't use my SD card (Android with KitKat). I'm working on that so I can download stuff to work offline.
Old 08-27-2015, 08:58 AM   #7
mailings
mailings began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle / TabS / Surface3
I know is an old thead. but here are my two cents.

If you surf the web you can find several dictionaries in "stardict" format. ColorDict can use stardict formated dictionaries, and the integration with Moon+ is the best combination I have found.

Last edited by mailings; 08-27-2015 at 09:11 AM. Reason: typo
mailings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:52 PM   #8
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
Moon+ Pro in conjunction with GoldenDict is the best solution.
GoldenDict supports a plethora of formats including StarDict.
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, ereader apps