Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-02-2016, 03:55 PM   #1
j0el
j0el began at the beginning.

Device: Voyage WiFi
Help a beginner with KUAL

I have a KV with firmware 5.6.1.0.5

I believe I have successfully Jailbroke and installed KUAL, but cannot seem to install any utilities.

Here is a screenshot of my Kindle USB directory as seen from my Mac. And a screenshot of KUAL when I launch it.

I expect my directory structure is wrong, but would appreciate any help. I have googled and read a lot of the forums but could not find the answer so sorry if this is a really stupid question.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161102_154502 (1).jpg
Views:	378
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	152767   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 3.48.24 PM.png
Views:	326
Size:	499.9 KB
ID:	152768  
j0el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:20 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Questions about non-standard Kindle firmware belong in the developers' forum, whence I am now moving this.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2016, 05:33 PM   #3
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
You must have an "extensions" folder at the same level of the "document" folder.
Inside the "extensions" folder, put one folder for each extension you want:

-document
-extensions
--kterm
--skipstone
--koreader
-koreader

NB: koreader needs a koreader folder into the extensions and one koreader folder at the same level of documents (as in the zip)
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 07:24 PM   #4
j0el

HarryT, Thanks for moving my post. My instinct was to put it in developer, but I hate to bother developers.

encol, your instructions were perfect. I downloaded the zips, moved them into the root of the Kindle, then unzipped them by double clicking. I think the problem was that it created a new subdirectory first. Anyway, if there is not a post showing what the directory structure should look like when a few extensions are added, it would be nice for someone more expert than I to create one.

Thanks for getting me going. I appreciate your time and effort.
/joel
Old 11-02-2016, 07:57 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by j0el View Post
HarryT, Thanks for moving my post. My instinct was to put it in developer, but I hate to bother developers.

encol, your instructions were perfect. I downloaded the zips, moved them into the root of the Kindle, then unzipped them by double clicking. I think the problem was that it created a new subdirectory first. Anyway, if there is not a post showing what the directory structure should look like when a few extensions are added, it would be nice for someone more expert than I to create one.

Thanks for getting me going. I appreciate your time and effort.
/joel
With the only exception that I can think of being kTerm and maybe KOreader, any of the archived KUAL extensions are packed so that they only have to be un-archived in the topmost, visible, level of the USB storage.

Each will create an extensions/<add-in name> sub-tree.

It does not need a diagram, only reading and following directions.

Any of our add-ins that are packaged in an update_*.bin name format must be installed using MrPI - -
Re-read Step #8 of the current jail break.
Those packages all have scripting that will do the thinking for you.

= = = =

That horrid mess you made a screenshot of is because you have your MAC OSx archive handler in "stupid" mode - so that it first creates a directory named the same as the source archive.
You should have an option to disable that overly helpful "feature".

Disable that feature of your archiver -
Delete that mess you added -
The just place the Contents of the archive in the top level of visible USB storage.
No diagrams needed, just set the archiver so that it does not precede the content's directory structure with a directory named after the archive.

Check the download counts of the packages you download and the view counts of the threads that describe them - then think:
Could that many people have installed these without a diagram?
Or is there something local wrong with what I am doing? (PEBCAK)

Last edited by knc1; 11-02-2016 at 08:04 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2016, 01:21 PM   #6
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Yeah, but many of us LIKE that setting for our Mac. So it's useful to know the overall structure that you described above.

I remember having a similar question when I did it. Something about the phrasing used in the instructions wasn't quite crystal clear to me, especially since I have that setting on my mac (and like it). I'm quite able to move files when I know where they should be, but I'm not going to remove that feature from my unzipper.

Anyway -- thanks for answering OP here and also me, when I asked a similar question about the mac's unzip format.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:02 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Yeah, but many of us LIKE that setting for our Mac. So it's useful to know the overall structure that you described above.

I remember having a similar question when I did it. Something about the phrasing used in the instructions wasn't quite crystal clear to me, especially since I have that setting on my mac (and like it). I'm quite able to move files when I know where they should be, but I'm not going to remove that feature from my unzipper.

Anyway -- thanks for answering OP here and also me, when I asked a similar question about the mac's unzip format.
There are a lot of places where I stress "move the contents" . . . .
There is no way I can change all of the "un-archive" occurrences just to cover a minority OS.
That 'helpful' feature is part of the system trying to protect a user from tar-bombs.
And if you look at the contents (without any helpers) of the jailbreak file in the current JB, you will discover that it is a tar-bomb.
It is suppose to be, that is critical to how it does its job.
You will find in the jb thread posts by people who opened it and then re-archved it with the MAC archive - breaking it, and wondering what went wrong.

Last edited by knc1; 11-03-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 09:09 PM   #8
j0el

@knc1,
I just want to read books. I asked a question, got two helpful replies and am happy. It is pretty clear you do not want stupid people on this forum so I will just shut up.

I have not used zip in many years. Github and git work very well for me.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:43 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

I re-read the directions -
They are quite clear about "the contents of ...", nothing about including the archive name as prior directory level.

If you had opened the archive, which is presumed to happen so that you can access "the contents of ...", instead of just double clicking on the name, you would have seen for yourself what the problem was.

Apple just chose to include that overly friendly option in complete disregard for the archive format specifications.
NONE of which including the filename of the archive in the directory tree of the un-archived result.