Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-14-2011, 02:57 AM   #1
Billsuits1
Connoisseur
Billsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the roughBillsuits1 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
Google Books making money?

Does anyone know of any evidence that Google is making money with their Google Books and e-reader? I went to their Investor relations and looked through their latest 10Q and it said that 96% of all revenue for Google is coming from Advertising. I know that they have said in the past that their Video sales have almost no revenue so I wondered if their ebooks are making money. Anyone know?
Billsuits1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:24 AM   #2
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billsuits1 View Post
Does anyone know of any evidence that Google is making money with their Google Books and e-reader? .................... ?

i) Dunno, can't get it .

2) Call me dumb, but which ereader ?

( I've had a tiring weekend, so make allowances... )
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2011, 08:08 AM   #3
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
The way I see it, the google ereader will be big fail like the kindle!
It tries to copy the kindle, by adding a keyboard (see link here)

A lot of the books of Google are in public domain, you just have to find them!
It's probably making some money off of the books, but Google has never been a profit hungry company. It just used to make good stuff (like their search browser and google.maps).

I don't expect it to bounce up against Amazon, and B&N any time soon; it probably will make as much profit as Sony (just enough to bring some revenue, albeit a low revenue).

Last edited by ProDigit; 11-14-2011 at 08:10 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:11 AM   #4
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
The way I see it, the google ereader will be big fail like the kindle!
What makes you think the kindle is a 'big fail'? Have you been living under a rock?
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Blech at that keyboard on the Google reader (if it's that same iRiver device as before). Never liked the way that it looked.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I meant, the first generation kindle...
Old 11-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Are we talking vintage here ?

Have they never heard of touch-screen.

Oh, sorry, I forgot - they have.....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
Ntsimp
Zealot
Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ntsimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD, Android
I love my iRiver Story HD, but the built in support for Google eBooks is cumbersome and slow. I don't see me buying any ebooks in that way anytime soon.
Ntsimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Does google make money off ANYTHING beside search?
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 04:06 AM   #10
ProDigit
Karmaniac

certainly not off me! I use their search daily, but never really click on ads. Perhaps by mistake...