Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Do Libraries have eBooks not available on the net?

What is the advantage of getting your eBooks from your local library?
Is it just to avoid buying them? Or are there books you can get from
the library that you can't find elsewhere?

Am I missing out on something if I have a reader that can't do Adobe
DRM?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
in my experience the library ebook selection is similar to their paper books, yea I check out what I can as opposed to buying. I only buy books I can't find for lending or I plan to read over and over.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:44 PM   #3
PodPeople
Connoisseur
PodPeople doesn't litterPodPeople doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, iPad 3, Kindle 4B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Is it just to avoid buying them? Or are there books you can get from
the library that you can't find elsewhere?

Am I missing out on something if I have a reader that can't do Adobe
DRM?

Luck;
Ken
I guess this gets down to whether there should even be libraries since almost all of the books in them can be purchased. Before the days of ebooks one could justify borrowing books from libraries because doing so saved trees. Now that new books are available electronically maybe that will no longer be an excuse. However, not everybody wants to sit in front of their computer to read a book, and e-readers are in their infancy and cost more than a lot of people want to spend. Many people don't buy books if they are available from a library because they have no interest in keeping them once they have been read.
PodPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I get those books from the library that I intend to read once. But you can't count on the library to carry everything - I just bought some philosophy books, that I didn't even look for at the library. The library is great for current fiction, bestseller nonfiction, and romance.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
My library's ebook selection is much slimmer than what I see at most ebook retailers. I have never seen something in their catalog that I cannot purchase elsewhere. The advantage is that I've already paid for the book through my taxes. I can read it without paying for it again.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:35 PM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I wasn't trying to make an issue of buying vs. a loan of books.

What I was wondering about is if the library eBook offerings were something
that might be unavailable some place else. What I might be missing if I could
not access the library eBook offerings. So far, it sounds like there may be
nothing in the library offerings that I can't find elsewhere and perhaps there
may be a greater selection through the online offerings.

Thanks,
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:43 AM   #7
SimonSays
No wire hangers, ever!
SimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enoughSimonSays will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-300
The local libraries here offer a lot in both physical format and internet format. I go to the libraries here at least once a week, try for two times, and dl a lot of ebooks too. I am a HUGE supporter of libraries and donate many many books, and Wii games, to them.
SimonSays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:57 AM   #8
alroy
Enthusiast
alroy began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Opus/Pocket Pro/eSlick/Libre Pro
I'll borrow a book from the library if its available. However, I have a Sony touch edition eReader and if I add a library book thats in PDF format or epub at the same time from the library it shuts down the other format that I didnt open. It does not do that when I purchase epub and PDF formats. My library even has a warning about adding epub books and PDF Books at the same time. This is what it says:

For Sony eReader users:

* Use only one version of eBooks (either Adobe Digital Editions or EPUB) at a given time. Downloading eBooks in both versions to a Sony eReader at the same time will interrupt functionality.
alroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:16 AM   #9
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Yeah, you're unlikely to find stuff you can't buy. Just like print books, other than government documents, out of print books etc., anything they have you could buy.

It's just good for reading stuff once. I've not looked into it as it seems to be a hassle on the Kindle and a lot of the stuff I read they probably don't have anyway. And with the e-books I read mostly being $6-10 I'm fine paying that for something I'll read once anyway.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:30 PM   #10
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Libraries in my country don't offer ebooks, but I make a point to visit my local library every two weeks and pick up the 4 books I'm allowed in that period. It's a great way to discover new authors and stumble upon something you might have missed otherwise.

Over here the libraries have to keep track of the number of books loaned each month to justify their existence. The more people that borrow books from them the greater the chances are that they'll be getting new books to expand their selection. I try to do my best to keep their numbers up since I can't imagine a town without a library!
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #11
thename
Zealot
thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-700, Kindle 2
This may sound a bit tinfoil hatty but I'll admit it: I borrow ebooks from the library to keep my reading private. Our library's ebook collection is explicitly covered by the library's privacy policies which I find comforting. My library ebooks come down and then get loaded to my non-connected Sony and nobody but the library is the wiser. Which doesn't worry me as they've committed to not sharing the information.
thename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Same as getting pBooks from the library, I would expect.

Quote:
Or are there books you can get from the library that you can't find elsewhere?
I doubt the Publisher would go through the effort of making an eBook version and then not selling it. That would be a little odd.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:29 PM   #13
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Quote:
I wasn't trying to make an issue of buying vs. a loan of books.

What I was wondering about is if the library eBook offerings were something
that might be unavailable some place else. What I might be missing if I could
not access the library eBook offerings. So far, it sounds like there may be
nothing in the library offerings that I can't find elsewhere and perhaps there
may be a greater selection through the online offerings.

Thanks,
Ken
Ken,
In my experience, the libraries offer a subset of what is available elsewhere. I have inquired about certain books and authors at my local library only to be informed that it was unavailable to "them". Upon checking on the web those same titles were available for purchase elsewhere.

Regards,
Rich
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:37 PM   #14
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by radamo View Post
In my experience, the libraries offer a subset of what is available elsewhere. I have inquired about certain books and authors at my local library only to be informed that it was unavailable to "them". Upon checking on the web those same titles were available for purchase elsewhere.
I don't know a lot about the infrastructure involved, but I wonder if that's a DRM issue. I assume the library would need the eBooks available to them in a format that supports whatever DRM they use for the lending.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:44 PM   #15
thename
Zealot
thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.thename has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-700, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by radamo View Post
Ken,

Regards,
Rich
Most libraries use Overdrive for their ebook lending which has a limited library of books and libraries purchase (rent? license?) a subset of that library (some much bigger than others).
thename is offline   Reply With Quote