Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
mst
Connoisseur
mst began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Last name, first name in calibre folder tree structure

I started setting up my calibre library and would like to have the folders organized by last name, first name of the author (and not first name, last name). How would I set this up?
mst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
You wouldn't. Calibre doesn't allow the user to specify the structure inside the library folder, and, in fact, it is strongly discouraged to access them directly. Use the programs facilities to interact with the library instead.

(Oh, and for a lengthy explanation of why this is so, search for "calibre library folder stucture" or something like that and read the threads that come up. Or just read this explanation.)
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:30 AM   #3
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Mst,

Manichean is generally quite knowledgeable, but is incorrect in this instance. I think he was attempting to stop the endless number of "I want to use my own file structure" threads that get started.

You can definitely use and have a Lastname, Firstname author sort and file structure within Calibre - as managed by Calibre (which is the critical part - see below). However, it's implementation and use is not immediately obvious. It involves altering a Tweak's setting. Please see the thread "Importing and maintaining title, author" where chaley explains this exact situation to me.

One thing not mentioned in the other topic, which can be quite annoying, is how non-standard last names (A. E. van Vogt, L. E. Modessitt Jr, etc) appear in folders (van Vogt_ A. E_). Note the use of underscores for any end-of-field symbol. So consider whether you just want the author sort in Calibre to show up as Lastname, Firstname on the screen or if you also want the folders and ebook file names to do the same thing. (Especially if you're on Windows 7 since the search & indexing built into the operating system kind of makes doing this moot.)

Otherwise, Manichean is correct in that users should not be manually using or altering any part of the calibre ebook file structure. Doing so will eventually lead to a loss of data when (not "if") a user-error occurs.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:29 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
You can definitely use and have a Lastname, Firstname author sort and file structure within Calibre - as managed by Calibre (which is the critical part - see below). However, it's implementation and use is not immediately obvious. It involves altering a Tweak's setting. Please see the thread "Importing and maintaining title, author" where chaley explains this exact situation to me.
I learn something new everyday. I've never had the need to ensure the file structure inside of calibre's database was a "certain way."

Calibre's library view sorts as expected by last name and the author is as it would be on any book first name then last name. Thus mimicking every library shelf I've ever viewed.

After reading the thread you pointed to it is painfully obvious that if you enter all your books in the author field as last name, first name then the corresponding folder structure would also reflect this.

I'll never do this, but it is definitely karma worthy.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
Mst,

Manichean is generally quite knowledgeable, but is incorrect in this instance. I think he was attempting to stop the endless number of "I want to use my own file structure" threads that get started.

One thing not mentioned in the other topic, which can be quite annoying, is how non-standard last names (A. E. van Vogt, L. E. Modessitt Jr, etc) appear in folders (van Vogt_ A. E_). Note the use of underscores for any end-of-field symbol. So consider whether you just want the author sort in Calibre to show up as Lastname, Firstname on the screen or if you also want the folders and ebook file names to do the same thing. (Especially if you're on Windows 7 since the search & indexing built into the operating system kind of makes doing this moot.)

Otherwise, Manichean is correct in that users should not be manually using or altering any part of the calibre ebook file structure. Doing so will eventually lead to a loss of data when (not "if") a user-error occurs.
To add to your Problem Calibre Name(ing) list
J.K.Rowling Robert A.Heinlien (Or Any name with no spaces between Initial and Surname,that slips in via import)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:12 AM   #6
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I learn something new everyday. I've never had the need to ensure the file structure inside of calibre's database was a "certain way."
dwanthny,

It is kind of funny hearing that from you. I find so many of your own posts insightful. Whether you have the answer someone else needs or you simply ask the right question.

As to the name order & file structure, I worked in a bookstore for a couple years and volunteered at the library in my youth. So I tend to think in filing order - LN FN - when remembering an author.

More importantly, I keep trying to edit author's whose first name doesn't start with the same letter as their last name! (Hey, what is this "Agatha" person doing in the "C (hristie) section"!) This is what I meant, in the referenced thread, about "things are done, but not implemented". Because without the recent(-ish) changes to author and title sort, calibre was doing one thing but showing something different.

theducks,

Hah! J.K.Rowling, et al are easy! I've been entering Manga lately...

It gets awfully difficult when dealing with culture(s) that use LN FN order. But editors flip the names for English readers - sometimes. And then, of course, you get a name like Yoshinori Kisaragi where you're not quite sure which name is in what order (FN LN - in case you were wondering ).
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:29 AM   #7
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
[QUOTE=Sabardeyn;1297877...And then, of course, you get a name like Yoshinori Kisaragi where you're not quite sure which name is in what order (FN LN - in case you were wondering ).[/QUOTE]

In cases like that, when in doubt, Google is your friend (it's helped me out often enough!).
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote