Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-27-2019, 12:40 AM   #1
sydmalicious
Cantankerous Contrarian
sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sydmalicious ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: MapleRead, iPad Pro 12.9" 2018, iPhone 12 Pro, Kobo Forma 32gb
The eBook Reader: Time for New Large Kindles

Time for Amazon to Finally Release Another Large Kindle

I think so, too. While I love my Paperwhite, the large screen Kindles like the DX would really make reading on a Kindle a slight bit more tolerable. I miss the size of my iPad Pro but love that I can just throw my Paperwhite in my pocket and go. Conundrums...
sydmalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:41 AM   #2
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I wish phones would get bigger; there aren't enough phablets. With my old eyes fading I sometimes wish my Fire HD was a phone.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2019, 12:09 PM   #3
maximus83
Nameless Being

Agree on principle it'd be nice if they made some larger ones. And that PW is a great Kindle. But for me, I'd hope they would not try to make them in the same size range as tablets like the Ipad, it feels like that niche is filled. I'd love to see a tweener sized Kindle, like around 8" or so. With natural lighting and a better battery than the Oasis. I'd buy one today if it were available. Oh wait, I have the Kobo Forma. :-)
Old 02-27-2019, 03:28 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Bigger isn't better. Especially not in ereaders. Especially not in phones.

I wish I had a good 5" ereader with a front light. I do have a Kobo Mini but it's lack of a front light makes it no fun to use. It's size is just right.

I keep my phone in my shirt pocket. I have a Galaxy S5 with a 5.1" screen. I really want a newer phone but the good ones are all way bigger and I'd have to strap it into my pocket to keep it from falling out when I bend over.

I think it would be nice if they made ereaders and phones in a large variety of sizes and I wish you guys would wish for that. As it is you're making me feel left out.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 03:54 PM   #5
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
For me:
---
  • smartphone perfect size: 3.5"
  • portable eReader perfect size: whatever the current PaperWhite is is great
  • non-portable at home only eReader perfect size: Intriguing idea, I'd have to think about that, maybe 9" ???
  • portable tablet perfect size: 8"
  • non-portable tablet: no pressing need for one of these, but would be 11" if a niche for it was found
  • portable laptop perfect size: 15-17" (depends on how often/how far you have to carry it)
  • non-portable home only laptop: no need for one of these, just use your desktop
  • home desktop computer perfect size: 29" (plus two additional 24" monitors in multi-setup, verticle orientation on each side of horizontal main monitor)
  • home server perfect size: no monitor needed, run headless, access remotely via SSH (or via VNC if graphic mode is needed)
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2019, 11:00 AM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
For me:
---
home server perfect size: no monitor needed, run headless, access remotely via SSH (or via VNC if graphic mode is needed)
VNC is not needed to run graphics apps over ssh on a server, headless or not.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:04 AM   #7
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
but the good ones are all way bigger and I'd have to strap it into my pocket to keep it from falling out when I bend over.

Barry
I have a good (true) story on that front. My petite wife is always complaining about the size of her smartphone and how it hangs out of her pocket. Recently during a trip to the restroom, the phone popped out and....well you can guess where it landed. That's where you're glad for the IP68 rating.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:41 AM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
I have a good (true) story on that front. My petite wife is always complaining about the size of her smartphone and how it hangs out of her pocket. Recently during a trip to the restroom, the phone popped out and....well you can guess where it landed. That's where you're glad for the IP68 rating.
That's one situation I'd rather have accidental damage insurance and just have the device completely replaced.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:45 AM   #9
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
That's one situation I'd rather have accidental damage insurance and just have the device completely replaced.
I told my wife: I ain't ever touching that phone again. She's never gonna live that one down....
Old 02-28-2019, 12:12 PM   #10
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
VNC is not needed to run graphics apps over ssh on a server, headless or not.
True. It was just a brief mention of one way to do it. I figure most members here do not know what VNC is, or even SSH. It was just an aside, to offer a reason why a directly connected monitor is not needed for a sever - for those who might question that concept (many of my servers do not run X, so VNC is, shall we say, of "limited use" for me). Chances are, most here run Windows, and given that, there's a better chance that they may have heard of VNC, whereas there's almost no chance they've heard of X servers using remote displays and other ways to get graphics across a network. Besides, "VNC" is shorter to type.

It's good to find out that there are other computer folks on MobileRead though!

Anyway, back to monitor size - I must say that I am intrigued with the idea of a stay-at-home eReader with a larger screen. I had never really considered that, but now I'm thinking it makes sense. If you don't need to haul the thing around mobile, yeah, a larger eReader screen might be good. A tablet could be a stand-in at home, but I'm one who much prefers reading on an eInk screen.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:15 PM   #11
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
Recently during a trip to the restroom, the phone popped out and....well you can guess where it landed.
Hopefully the Facebook app wasn't running. It probably would have automatically posted "what I'm doing now", along with pictures and geo-location data.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:31 PM   #12
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Hopefully the Facebook app wasn't running. It probably would have automatically posted "what I'm doing now", along with pictures and geo-location data.
OMG, now that's funny. Because she is an avid FB user.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:31 PM   #13
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Tell her that it isn't the phone. Instead tell her that her pockets are to small.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 04:59 PM   #14
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Once I had an Arcos device that's the same size as a smartphone and I was walking into the bathroom when I stumbled and it flew into the toilet. By the time I got it out it was dead. I waited a few days but it never recovered.

This was a nearly new device so I called Archos but of course their warranty wouldn't cover it. They said I could send it to them and they'd give me a repair estimate. I did. The tech said the repair would cost slightly more than the device cost so I told her to just throw it away. She got kind of pushy about wanting to send it back to me so I said okay, unsure why she cared.

When I got it back I tried it again and it worked perfectly. I'm pretty sure she sent me a new or refurbished replacement. Nothing in the package indicated that and she made no mention of it. I guess she was just being nice but not wanting to get in trouble. Sometimes things go well.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:18 AM   #15
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I don't see the value in the screen being bigger than the page of a book.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote