Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 03-29-2019, 05:09 AM   #1
mrpotts
Connoisseur
mrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Digital Paper, Amazon Paperwhite
Onyx Vs. Sony

Hello,

Does Onyx make anything that compares with the Sony 13" ereaders for PDF reading/annotating and general note taking?

Please let me know if you've used both as opposed to only Onyx. I've used the 1st edition Sony for 3-4 years and traded for the Boyue Mimas based on reviews and backlight and that was a mistake. It's unusable for PDFs.

Now I need to sell this Mimas and get a PDF tool that works.

Thanks,
Phil
mrpotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:13 AM   #2
mrpotts
Connoisseur
mrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-books

anyone?
Advert
Old 03-30-2019, 03:40 AM   #3
Simon_31
Enthusiast
Simon_31 began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox max, onyx boox note pro, kindle paperwhite
Was the Boyue too much small for your documents? Or was it another problem with pdfs?

Concerning Onyx, yes, they have a 13'' ereader that, I think, is equivalent to Sony one. I have the very first version of it, with no touch screen (the most recent one has touch screen). Personally, I prefer using the 10'' onyx note, because I find it more easy to use in my hands. But it's a personal preference.
Simon_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 05:32 AM   #4
mrpotts
Connoisseur

The Boyue is just bad at PDF's. Turning pages (try going back!), annotating is awful (highlighting, notes on), slow and laggy. Just bad.

Phil
Old 03-30-2019, 05:47 AM   #5
Simon_31
Enthusiast

Onyx software has become very good: it is now fast and without any crash, you won't have any bad surprise with it (I use my onyx note to read technical pdfs and it's really perfect).
This being said, I remember that before all the updates, their very first software release was buggy and was regularly crashing. So maybe Boyue is taking the same way and will debug their software in the coming months? Hard to say...
Advert
Old 03-30-2019, 05:53 AM   #6
Simon_31
Enthusiast

Here is a youtube review of the two big onyx readers (10'' and 13'').
Note: the very last 10'' reader (boox note pro) has now light feature.

You'll see that the soft is fast and that it is well conceived (I especially like a lot the cropping zoom option that allows to get rid of the empty spaces around the text and get a bigger picture size).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Bjr9dws2Vs

Last edited by Simon_31; 03-30-2019 at 05:55 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:22 PM   #7
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpotts View Post
The Boyue is just bad at PDF's. Turning pages (try going back!), annotating is awful (highlighting, notes on), slow and laggy. Just bad.
It's not "Boyue", but the useless software they dare to sell their devices with. While there is much to criticise about the 10" Boyue devices, the hardware is sufficiently good if reading is the main usage scenario.

The main gripes i have with the (slower) Likebook Note is its immature if not even deficient software. Luckily enough it can be enhanced with much better 3rd party applications like the surprisingly versatile koreader or Librera.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:28 PM   #8
Simon_31
Enthusiast

Mmm don't hurry in buying yet the "Onyx boox note pro", I just got a battery problem with the one I received last week...
Need to write a post about it.
Old 04-06-2019, 03:14 PM   #9
Simon_31
Enthusiast

Everything is now normal with my note pro, the battery lasts a long time and behaves as expected. I suspect a random software issue being at the root cause of the sudden discharge that I experienced.

See my post in the " Onyx Boox Note Pro! (First Impressions) " section.