Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
kristalana
Groupie
kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Galaxy Tab Pro
Book jacket font size issues - epub>mobi conversion

I've been having some font size weirdness with the inserted metadata page, where sometimes it comes out with a huge font. I'm really not sure what causes it, but I think it might be something to do with the "Source base font size is" line.

I've changed the book jacket stylesheet to remove tags and ratings, but I doubt that's related, as most of the converted books are ok. I'd thought it was happening more often with my epubs from Kobo, but it doesn't happen there all the time. I've definitely noticed the problem more with books from Samhain Publishing, and the attached image with the really big font is one of those. I've had it happen with a few of my amazon azw3 books as well. I also wondered if it was connected to using that plugin we don't really talk about, but I don't think it is, as I've had it happen with books that were completely drm-free to start with. I've also run lots of books through the plugin and had the metadata page come out fine. The attached Death by a Honeybee book jacket is one, and I attached it as an example of how it's supposed to look.

I was trying to find a public domain book that had the problem so I could attach it, but no luck so far. I did however find some that are free on kobo, so I hope it's ok to link to those. This one gives a book jacket with big font, and this one gives one with gigantic font. I've also attached the conversion logs for these.

I hope I've provided enough info to help fix this problem, as the metadata page is one of my favorite features (which is really saying something, given how useful Calibre is). Thanks so much!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	normal book jacket.PNG
Views:	272
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	121414   Click image for larger version

Name:	big book jacket whiskey.PNG
Views:	269
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	121415   Click image for larger version

Name:	giant book jacket the boy.PNG
Views:	259
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	121416  
Attached Files
File Type: txt conversion log Whiskey Rebellion.txt (5.1 KB, 212 views)
File Type: txt conversion log The Boy.txt (4.1 KB, 188 views)
kristalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:09 PM   #2
kristalana
Groupie
kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm attaching one of the epubs I linked to above, to make it easier for anybody looking into it. This one gives a metadata page with giant font. It's an epub straight from the publisher (no drm), but it's a free book so hopefully I won't get in trouble for posting it.
Attachments Pending Approval
File Type: epub BoyintheLot,The.epub
Advert
Old 04-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
That is one of the ugliest stylesheets I have seen

You could use the new editor function and do CSS surgery
(great learning experience) as the rest of the book is not as terrible as the CSS without running the risk of conversion making it worse
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:25 PM   #4
kristalana
Groupie

The stylesheet on the book I attached? I'm not actually planning to read the book, I just found it as a free example of the problem I'm having with Calibre's generated book jackets. You'd have to convert the book to mobi to see what I mean but I attached a picture in my first post showing how it turns out. Unless I misunderstand what you mean.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:53 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalana View Post
The stylesheet on the book I attached? I'm not actually planning to read the book, I just found it as a free example of the problem I'm having with Calibre's generated book jackets. You'd have to convert the book to mobi to see what I mean but I attached a picture in my first post showing how it turns out. Unless I misunderstand what you mean.
GIGO
If you start with junk,
You get more junk when you convert.

Convert expects a fairly clean source.
Convert can scale fonts up or down (using the Font size key values)
change margins, indents

It is all based upon what you know about the source, so you can apply a 'adjustment'
Advert
Old 04-08-2014, 11:08 PM   #6
kristalana
Groupie

But the font sizes in the rest of the book are fine, post-conversion. It's only the inserted book jacket that does this, in this or my other books where I've had the problem.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:24 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
But the font sizes in the rest of the book are fine, post-conversion. It's only the inserted book jacket that does this, in this or my other books where I've had the problem.
The book you attached did not have a Jacket.

This may be a 'relative' scale thing

You crank up the zoom because this book renders as a tiny font ,
Calibres Jacket is at a NORMAL size, but that got zoomed also to Huge

As I said, the stylesheet is weird. Everything is scaled down (from device default) as there is not a Body { } CSS entry to set a (oversize) base
Old 04-08-2014, 11:39 PM   #8
kristalana
Groupie

I know it didn't have a jacket, the jacket gets attached to the book during conversion from epub to mobi. I attached the epub according to the instructions in the How to ask a question about conversion problems thread as an example of a file I'm trying to convert, so Kovid or someone else can try and reproduce my problem.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:03 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Report the bug directly to Kovid, at http://calibre-ebook.com/bugs, and you can attach the problem epub (not just similar examples).
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:07 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I know it didn't have a jacket, the jacket gets attached to the book during conversion from epub to mobi. I attached the epub according to the instructions in the How to ask a question about conversion problems thread as an example of a file I'm trying to convert, so Kovid or someone else can try and reproduce my problem.
Theducks already explained the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
This may be a 'relative' scale thing

You crank up the zoom because this book renders as a tiny font ,
Calibres Jacket is at a NORMAL size, but that got zoomed also to Huge
@kristalana The book you attached has the fonts for paragraphs at 70% of normal and the css for the book jacket has the fonts set to 1.1em which is approximately 110% of normal. When you view the book on your device you need to scaleup the 70% font to normal and the book jacket ends up giant.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-09-2014 at 12:10 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:13 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is because your book specifies extremely tiny font sizes (50% of normal), while the jacket uses "normal" font sizes. Currently, the jacket insertion code does not try to alter the font sizes int he jacket to match the font sizes int he rest of the book, it is possible to have it do that, but doing that would mean a loss of control for people trying to customize the look and feel of the jacket.

In your case, you might be able to work around the problem by converting epub to epub without a jacket to normalize the font sizes and then converting again with a jacket (after deleting original_epub so that the newly produced epub is used).

Or just edit the source file to remove the silly repeated font-size: 70% declarations from the stylesheet.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 04-09-2014 at 12:16 AM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:52 AM   #12
kristalana
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This is because your book specifies extremely tiny font sizes (50% of normal), while the jacket uses "normal" font sizes. Currently, the jacket insertion code does not try to alter the font sizes int he jacket to match the font sizes int he rest of the book, it is possible to have it do that, but doing that would mean a loss of control for people trying to customize the look and feel of the jacket.

In your case, you might be able to work around the problem by converting epub to epub without a jacket to normalize the font sizes and then converting again with a jacket (after deleting original_epub so that the newly produced epub is used).

Or just edit the source file to remove the silly repeated font-size: 70% declarations from the stylesheet.
Thanks so much Kovid! I thought it was something like that (the jacket not matching other font sizes). Converting epub>epub first, then to mobi worked perfectly.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:18 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I implemented some code to alter the jacket font sizes to match the book's font sizes. As long as the jacket uses only relative font size specifications, it will work well. So make sure your jacket template only contains font sizes in em or % units.

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...7d3711e52029d5
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:05 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
Please do not post copyrighted material without the permission of the copyright holder. The fact that a book is "free" does not mean that it is out of copyright, or that it can be redistributed without the copyright holder's permission.

Thank you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:34 AM   #15
kristalana
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I implemented some code to alter the jacket font sizes to match the book's font sizes. As long as the jacket uses only relative font size specifications, it will work well. So make sure your jacket template only contains font sizes in em or % units.

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...7d3711e52029d5
Awesome, thanks so much. If I'm using the standard jacket template will this work ok?

And my apologies Harry, it won't happen again.