Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old Today, 12:57 AM   #16
meeera
Wizard
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad Air 2, MBP; support AuraHD,Kindle,KAura,KGlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
That can be seen either as hypocrassy or as them having learned something as they grew up.
I am loving this neologism. (Portmanteau?)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:29 AM   #17
Paperbackstash
Groupie
Paperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguePaperbackstash can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: PW4 (Inis Odyssey) PW 3 (Moonsliver), Fire HD 2ndG (Nostromo)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I'm not really sure what "an offense against justice" means. Does anyone know?

The article says they're afraid piracy will lead to fewer novels being published. Piracy has been around a long time. I just googled and found there are estimates of 600,000 to 1,000,000 new novels every year. It doesn't seem that piracy is slowing things down.

Most of that is because of the change of the publishing house and platform. So many self-publish in the current market easily, and it's easier than ever to start digital independent "companies" with a website and access to Amazon's uploading.

I know several smaller companies have gone under the past few years due to sales, when they've mainly been e-book only. A few favorite authors I follow talk about dismal sales and pirating.

It definitely affects the author's income, output, publishing contracts if they don't self-publish. Sad for them, the companies who take a chance for them, and readers.

That said, while I think it does make an effect, it's not fully to blame for the changing markets. People simply read less, or buy less books. With some many "Free" on Amazon and other places, some people stick to that and don't want to purchase.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:58 PM   #18
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I am loving this neologism. (Portmanteau?)
It wasn't intentional. I'm a terrible speller and it seems that Chrome's spell checker isn't a lot better.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:05 PM   #19
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I think since more people are self publishing that might also account for a lot of companies going under.

That said, I don't doubt that authors and publishers and retailers lose money due to piracy. It would be impossible for them not to. I do doubt that the problem is as great as is often claimed. I also think that given the size of Amazon pirates might be their most serious competitors.

I think, all in all, readers are probably more honest than publishers and book sellers. If we weren't pretty honest they'd have all gone under long ago.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote