Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-13-2019, 05:52 AM   #16
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
This all sounds horribly reminiscent of my experiences with Google Play ebooks. I bought *one* ebook there a few years ago and it was so hard to actually download the book that I swore I'd never buy from them again.

Thank goodness for Alf which means, among other things I can shop where I want and read on any device.

You have my sympathies.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:08 AM   #17
Grant Jacobs
Grant Jacobs began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aqua
OK, I seem to have finally gotten there.

Going by just one comment at the Google Play forums (not a reliable thing to do…) this seems to be some sort of issue at Google Play that took a few days to get sorted.

Once in ADE it's straight-forward getting it to the Kobo reader, although ADE doesn't help by having a such silly clumsy interface. The think looks as if it's developed using tools from the 90s, issuing error messages like it's still the 80s!

Thanks for all the thoughts, even if it looks like it's been a goose chase.
Grant Jacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:11 AM   #18
Grant Jacobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
This all sounds horribly reminiscent of my experiences with Google Play ebooks. I bought *one* ebook there a few years ago and it was so hard to actually download the book that I swore I'd never buy from them again.

Thank goodness for Alf which means, among other things I can shop where I want and read on any device.

You have my sympathies.
Alf - a person or a program? (Google is helpfully pointing me at elves…)
Old 04-13-2019, 09:45 AM   #19
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Mobileread site rules prevent in-depth discussion but I can link to Apprentice Alf's blog
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:23 PM   #20
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2
Those sorts of problems with Google Play books and ADE happen from time to time. They're happened to me several times over the years, with different error messages. Usually I complain to Google and then, in a few days, sometimes longer, the book miraculously downloads in ADE without a hitch.

You might ask why buy from Google at all, then. The answer is that their books are generally the cheapest for me, cheaper than Kobo, certainly cheaper than Amazon. And because the problems don't happen all that often, I continue to buy from them. But yes, I'm no longer surprised when I have to write to Google again that the book I just purchased won't open in ADE.

Last edited by Sirtel; 04-13-2019 at 06:29 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 12:08 AM   #21
Grant Jacobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Those sorts of problems with Google Play books and ADE happen from time to time. They're happened to me several times over the years, with different error messages. Usually I complain to Google and then, in a few days, sometimes longer, the book miraculously downloads in ADE without a hitch.

You might ask why buy from Google at all, then. The answer is that their books are generally the cheapest for me, cheaper than Kobo, certainly cheaper than Amazon. And because the problems don't happen all that often, I continue to buy from them. But yes, I'm no longer surprised when I have to write to Google again that the book I just purchased won't open in ADE.
Thanks - maybe I'll run it around that way next time. Perhaps they just react when a few people say the same thing…

They seem cheaper. Small nitpick but I wish they (and other online businesses) would use the international three-letter codes - saves trying to verify what '$' they mean!