Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-11-2019, 05:17 AM   #1
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia
oumlaut has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Voyage, iPhone 7
KV stuck on "DIAGS EXIT Please use serial port" page

Kindle Voyage w/ the most recent firmware and a working Jailbreak as of February 2019. Most recent USBNetwork Hack, Rescue Pack, and Coward's Rescue Pack installed using packages from NiLuJe's snapshots thread as of the mentioned date. Not the first time I ended up with System Diags because of empty battery. This time, I guess I was careless enough to have selected another command while trying to disable diagnostics. Now I am stuck with the DIAGS EXIT screen. Any ideas?

Last edited by oumlaut; 04-11-2019 at 05:24 AM.
oumlaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:22 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Since you have RP + CRP, just fix it over SSH (idme + reboot).

Not at a computer right now, and I don't recall the exact idme syntax, but it's something like idme -d --bootmode main or something.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-11-2019 at 04:49 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 03:04 PM   #3
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Since you have RP + CRP, just fix it over SSH (idme + reboot).
Thank you NiLuJe. I have benefited from your work for years. And thank you for your reply as well.

Having spent quite some time on the forum, I began to suspect that KV is stuck in fastboot mode. However, I don't seem to have access to the device at all. KV doesn't mount on MacOS. I will give it a try using a computer running on Windows but I don't have great expectations.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:21 PM   #4
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
Well, when in diags mode, it probably shouldn't mount(as usbms mode is most likely disabled). You need to connect it through usb as ethernet adapter and ssh into the device. If you're you using Mac/Linux, you'll have to setup ip of your computer manually, to something like 192.168.15.1
and execute `ssh root@192.168.15.244` iirc the correct ip address of the kindle, it's been some time since I needed to do this. Once you connect type `idme -d --bootmode main` and `reboot`. Quickly unplug usb cable, to prevent CRP from kicking in again.
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 04:51 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have some macOS screenshots of an USBNet setup posted *somewhere*, it'll eventually come back to me .

EDIT: Here. Except that's a legacy *main* setup, so you'll have to follow @Galunid's advice as far as IP addresses are concerned. That's also documented in the RP or CRP README, IIRC.

Because, yeah, unless you specifically ask for something, it's going to be charge only over USB in diags mode .

(And even then, "charge" might be pushing it, it has a tendency to actually discharge ).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-11-2019 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:50 AM   #6
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galunid View Post
You need to connect it through usb as ethernet adapter and ssh into the device.
@Galunid and @NiLuJe, thank you both. That is how I set up the USBNetwork hack years ago. I began using SSH over WiFi, and don't remember using Ethernet over USB ever since. Humans are prone to forget, and I feel like an ignoramus.

I have just read once more the README files of RescuePack, CowardsRescuePack, and the README_FIRST file of the USBNetwork. According to the README file of the RescuePack, IP Address and Subnet Mask of the host are 192.168.15.201 and 255.255.255.0, and Kindle's IP Address is 192.168.15.244.

However, Ethernet over USB doesn't work with these settings. I have checked the System Information to confirm that the device is available under USB Device Tree.

AD: /usbnet/etc/config file has an SSHD ONLY option that prevents switching to Ethernet over USB.

Code:
# Don't switch to Ethernet over USB, and only launch SSHD
# NOTE: Make sure you're able to properly login over SSH before enabling this...
# It's obviously only useful with WiFi devices, so leave to false on non-WiFi devices
K3_WIFI_SSHD_ONLY="false"
If it is set to "true", will that disable Ethernet over USB in diags mode? (No clue whether I did that change.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	USB Device Tree.png
Views:	202
Size:	764.9 KB
ID:	170678   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ethernet over USB.png
Views:	199
Size:	534.3 KB
ID:	170679  

Last edited by oumlaut; 04-12-2019 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Addendum
Old 04-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!

The main USBNet config has no impact on diags, no.

You *do* need to switch to USBNet the proper way by navigating the diags menu, though (What's described as N-U-Z-X in the RP README, although the exact menu IDs may have changed on recent devices, but the idea is still the same).
Old 04-12-2019, 12:00 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by oumlaut View Post
Thank you NiLuJe. I have benefited from your work for years. And thank you for your reply as well.

Having spent quite some time on the forum, I began to suspect that KV is stuck in fastboot mode. However, I don't seem to have access to the device at all. KV doesn't mount on MacOS. I will give it a try using a computer running on Windows but I don't have great expectations.
If it is in Diags Mode, then it will be showing a menu on the screen.
Please take a picture of what is on the screen (menu or something else) and attach to one of your posts.

Why?
Because the "Diags" firmware varies depending on the price of tea in China.
It does not seem to have anything to do with what "Main" firmware version is installed.

Note:
Some (all?) Diags firmware that includes the message you see ONLY puts the menu on the serial port, not the screen.
Some versions put it on both the screen and the serial port.

Note2:
You may have to just follow the directions (that is: use the serial port).

Last edited by knc1; 04-12-2019 at 12:06 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #9
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia

Quote:
The main USBNet config has no impact on diags, no.
Good to know.

Quote:
You *do* need to switch to USBNet the proper way by navigating the diags menu, though (What's described as N-U-Z-X in the RP README, although the exact menu IDs may have changed on recent devices, but the idea is still the same).
That is the problem. I should have been able to disable diagnostics and reboot to main had I been able to get back to the diags menu.

The battery was empty. I started charging it. Coward's Rescue Pack led the device to reboot in diags mode. I must have done something wrong while trying to disable diagnostics, and now I am stuck with the DIAGS EXIT screen.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:24 PM   #10
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia

Thank you @knc1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If it is in Diags Mode, then it will be showing a menu on the screen.
It was. Now it is not as I have tried to explain above.

Quote:
Please take a picture of what is on the screen (menu or something else) and attach to one of your posts.
Attached.

Quote:
Why?
Because the "Diags" firmware varies depending on the price of tea in China.
It does not seem to have anything to do with what "Main" firmware version is installed.
If I can read the shadow underneath the screen correctly, the top two lines of the diags menu read as follows:

Code:
ICE - WARIO - WFO - 512 - Utilities
-------1.16.613.255799------
Quote:
Note:
Some (all?) Diags firmware that includes the message you see ONLY puts the menu on the serial port, not the screen.
Some versions put it on both the screen and the serial port.
I have used the diags menu on the screen a couple of times before.

Quote:
Note2:
You may have to just follow the directions (that is: use the serial port).
I hope we can be able to produce an easier solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	170685  

Last edited by oumlaut; 04-12-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:57 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!

The FL seems to be on on that picture, is it, actually?

What happens when you try to hard reboot it?
Old 04-12-2019, 02:16 PM   #12
oumlaut
Omnia sunt communia

Quote:
The FL seems to be on on that picture, is it, actually?
Yes, it is.

Quote:
What happens when you try to hard reboot it?
It is in a loop. That is why I suspected that the device is in fastboot mode. Hard reboot makes the amber light blink five times. FL turns off and turns on again. The screen remains as is.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Diags Mode does not overlay the menu on top of the Boy Under a Tree image.

So use the serial port.
Follow the directions for using pins (no hot solder solution) since you will only need the serial port long enough to type a couple of commands.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:59 PM   #14
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Not sure how helpful my "input" would be, but here it is.

I've done quick test on my PW3 (so, not the same device I know) with firmware 5.9.7 (originally jailbroken while on fw 5.6.5, RP + CRP installed at the same time ; newer versions RP & CRP bin installers downloaded and installed sometimes in last 2 months).

Main menu in diagnostics + "reboot or disable diagnostics" sub-menu.

In order to get to option to enable USBNetwork you should choose: Misc individual diagnostics > Utilities > Enable USBnet

But in my test case the USBnetwork was already enabled (tested on Windows 10 with WinSCP) when I've initially booted into diagnostics (I remember that not being the case on my PW1 whose diagnostics menu option looked totally different)

The last 2 photos just to demonstrate that upon taping on "<EXIT DISABLE> Disable diagnostics" menu option I've also had that "Please use serial port" screen showed. But it went away after ~2s without any extra actions taken by me... that screen was followed by couple of screen flashes with "boy under the tree" image before that last screen (that shows output from screensaver hack script) showed and Kindle resumed booting into "main" / normal OS. The USB cable was of course disconnected from my Kindle once I've entered the diagnostics and after I've tested USBNetwork functionality.

Last edited by shamanNS; 04-12-2019 at 09:06 PM.
shamanNS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:46 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

IIRC, my PW2 behaves in a similar fashion.