Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-04-2019, 09:52 AM   #1
Bahrt
Bahrt began at the beginning.

Device: Windows 10 Tablet
Broken PDF output file

Please look at the below linked PDF sample of two pages, to see an example on how the PDF output is rearranged and split into a quite useless document – https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AKG...ew?usp=sharing

In the following linked photo, I have merged (almost) the two pages to illustrate that these pages should have been only one – https://drive.google.com/file/d/1k0J...ew?usp=sharing

Settings Ok – https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v7S...ew?usp=sharing

I have fiddled with various other relevant (I think) settings, but none of them seem to change anything towards a more ‘correct’ PDF document…

The input EPUB file size is 117 MB.
Bahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 11:16 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=118605

2 Column or 2 Page Is just Nasty to begin with. Even a Scan let alone a PDF.

Consider yourself lucky to even recognize a simple conversion of one of these.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:26 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I think the OP is talking about conversion to PDF not from PDF. @Bahrt most likely there is some non-reflowable marku in the EPUB like a table. Use the calibre editor to delete most of the contents and leave only something that reproduces the issue and post that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:17 AM   #4
Bahrt

I have removed most of the contents in the linked EPUB document - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rsM...ew?usp=sharing - this file will reproduce the issue when generated as PDF...
Old 04-05-2019, 05:33 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That epub is a shambles when viewed as epub in the calibre viewer.

However, to my utter astonishment, if I use the viewer's print to PDF feature I get a better rendition in the output PDF using Tracker's PDF xChange Viewer than I get if I view the epub in calibre's epub viewer - see attached.

Looks like you'll need to adjust page size and margins before saving the PDF.

BR
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sous vide i dit eget køkken.pdf (4.44 MB, 11 views)

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-08-2019 at 05:31 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:54 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Yeah as I suspected that EPUB is full of non-reflowable markup, it is never going to convert well, unless it accidentally happens that the metrics of the PDF page size you are converting to match those for which the EPUB was designed.

Take a look at position.css inside the EPUB it is full of exact pixel sizes.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:37 AM   #7
Bahrt

I understand… I guess. This is my first eBook purchase, and I did examine conversion possibilities and decided to give Calibre a try, before I bought the eBook. With this first experience, I am not sure that I will get an EPUB ‘document’ again.

In my opinion, the EPUB publishers has way too much flexibility in the way they can build/mess up EPUB material… Fewer and more aligned coding ‘rules’ and/or comprehensive fool-proof EPUB design software is needed… Ok, I understand that editing softwares like Calibre can fix and align messy EPUB structures, but… Most often, owners of an eBook will just like to convert it for their specific device, needs (maybe to the PDF format)… And then READ it… People will most seldom find technical interest and familiarize themselves with the coded content EPUB file.

I cannot even print a decent hardcopy version of my purchased file. Can you please suggest which best suitable type of output fil I would like to convert to, to have a hardcopy printable document?

Thanks a lot for your reply’s anyway – it helped me decide, to just go and buy a good old paper book next time.
Old 04-08-2019, 02:22 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Given that "<meta property="rendition:layout">pre-paginated</meta>" is found in content.opf, this is a fixed layout epub. I tried it on a Kobo ereader as with the file renamed to sous_vide.fxl.kepub.epub and the layout seems to work with it's multiple columns. Without the renaming, the book looked like a dog's breakfast on the screen.

Edit: I've also attached a sample page printed from Sigil.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sous_vide_4.pdf (641.3 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by DNSB; 04-08-2019 at 02:27 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote