Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-07-2019, 03:12 PM   #1
malatang
malatang began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
When converting epub to mobi, line spacing condenses

Hi, everyone.

When I convert from epub to mobi, line spacing decreases so much. The last time I converted was about a couple of years ago and it worked fine at that time.

I'm using the latest version of calibre. Tried increasing minimum line height and line height, didn't work at all. Tried on other epub files, same result. If I convert epub to azw3, it works fine.

I've attached screenshots of calibre viewer showing the original epub file and the converted mobi file respectively. You can clearly see the difference. What could possibly fix this problem?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 4.05.23 AM.png
Views:	43
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	170611   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 4.06.03 AM.png
Views:	44
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	170612  
malatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 04:04 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Look at (minimum) line-height in the (BOOK, not preferences) conversion setting

look and feel (sidebar) Minimum line-height: (the default is 0 )
Line-height is how far the lines of text are spaced apart in the SAME paragraph
Margin controls between paragraphs
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 10:19 PM   #3
lumpynose
Connoisseur
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Look at (minimum) line-height in the (BOOK, not preferences) conversion setting

look and feel (sidebar) Minimum line-height: (the default is 0 )
Line-height is how far the lines of text are spaced apart in the SAME paragraph
Margin controls between paragraphs
I don't remember changing it (assuming I'm looking in the correct place; Look & Feel, Fonts) but my mininum line-height is 120%, and below that, line height is 0.0pt.

I didn't understand what you meant by book conversion settings versus preferences conversion settings. ... I take that back, I'm guessing that you mean this: how-options-are-set-saved-for-conversion

Also, where are Look & Feel, Fonts, Line height and Minimum line height documented?
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:55 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
I don't remember changing it (assuming I'm looking in the correct place; Look & Feel, Fonts) but my mininum line-height is 120%, and below that, line height is 0.0pt.

I didn't understand what you meant by book conversion settings versus preferences conversion settings. ... I take that back, I'm guessing that you mean this: how-options-are-set-saved-for-conversion

Also, where are Look & Feel, Fonts, Line height and Minimum line height documented?
W3Cschools
FWIW 1.2 or 120% is pretty common. 1.0 the lines almost touch
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:53 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The MOBI format has no support for line height, convert to azw3.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:45 AM   #6
malatang
malatang began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The MOBI format has no support for line height, convert to azw3.
Well, yeah converting to azw3 works fine as I mentioned in my original post.

But my question is, why would line spacing decrease when converting to mobi?
In my previous experiences on converting epub to mobi, the output files maintained the same line height from the input files. Now, I convert with the same default setting as before (minimum line height set to 120%), the result is different with much more condensed lines. I thought it's not supposed to happen?
malatang is offline   Reply With Quote