Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 04-04-2019, 10:05 AM   #1
StuartJ
StuartJ doesn't litterStuartJ doesn't litterStuartJ doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mimas, Kobo Aura One, LG V20
Large libraries on Boyue Mimas/Mars/Muses?

I've just got a Mimas and so far am impressed with its potential, especially as an 'e-ink tablet' ... but wrestling with some of its current limitations. One key one is how to deal with a relatively large library without the 'Boyue OS' launcher grinding to a halt. I have just over 3000 books in my Calibre library. Is anyone using their Boyue device (with the standard 'Recently read/Recently Added/Books' UI) successfully with that sort of volume?

Initially I loading all the books into Calibre Companion on an SD card, and the Boyue launcher then was hanging, I assume while it choked on the indexing. Second time around, I've factory reset the device and am adding them into the 'Books' directory a couple of hundred at a time. So far so good, currently up to about 800, though it seems to be lagging already when I open the 'Books' area of the Boyue launcher and I suspect it's going to get worse as I add more.

If Boyue simply can't cope with that number of books, I'll move all the files out of 'Books' and try again with a different launcher. I tried Nova before, but didn't care for how dark it looked, stuck with solid black wallpaper.
StuartJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:08 PM   #2
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3-T80S-T80D-T103D-K78-Inkpalm 5-HiSense Touch-Hi Reader Pro-Palma
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartJ View Post
I've just got a Mimas and so far am impressed with its potential, especially as an 'e-ink tablet' ... but wrestling with some of its current limitations. One key one is how to deal with a relatively large library without the 'Boyue OS' launcher grinding to a halt. I have just over 3000 books in my Calibre library. Is anyone using their Boyue device (with the standard 'Recently read/Recently Added/Books' UI) successfully with that sort of volume?

Initially I loading all the books into Calibre Companion on an SD card, and the Boyue launcher then was hanging, I assume while it choked on the indexing. Second time around, I've factory reset the device and am adding them into the 'Books' directory a couple of hundred at a time. So far so good, currently up to about 800, though it seems to be lagging already when I open the 'Books' area of the Boyue launcher and I suspect it's going to get worse as I add more.

If Boyue simply can't cope with that number of books, I'll move all the files out of 'Books' and try again with a different launcher. I tried Nova before, but didn't care for how dark it looked, stuck with solid black wallpaper.
Take a look at the one on here for e-ink revolve x I think. Its very simple and has a books tab. Nova is kinda crap on e-ink.
Malcolm
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 03:18 AM   #3
MustardOrMayo
Connoisseur
MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MustardOrMayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Mimas (main) + (many others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
Nova is kinda crap on e-ink.
Yeah, especially because Boyue completely removed the wallpaper functionality from their version of Android, AND there's no way to disable animations.

Edit: animations within Nova, that is.

Last edited by MustardOrMayo; 04-06-2019 at 01:54 AM.
MustardOrMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 08:17 AM   #4
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
Take a look at the one on here for e-ink revolve x I think.
So sorry: here = ?

[INCANUS]
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:56 AM   #5
StuartJ

Progress, of sorts... I managed to get my Calibre library loaded back into the 'Books' directory without the Mimas going completely catatonic.

It seems the real killer may be not so much the volume of files being indexed as the number of large PDFs, which seem to choke the process that generates the preview thumbnails for the Recently read/Recently Added sections. I was able to load hundreds of .epubs at a time, then only tens of larger PDFs .. but still, all sorted now with 3100 files imported. The Boyue home page is reasonably responsive, and (so far) hasn't been hanging switching between apps.

The only problem is that the 'Books' tab still takes a long time to load, at least two minutes or more while hanging the Boyue launcher, so I'm avoiding that. Since I'm using Calibre Companion, I'm hoping I can use that instead. I only really wanted the Recently read and Recently Added lists, and if you explicitly get Calibre Companion to override your default reader and open with the 'Boyue OS' app, the books show up in the 'Recently read' section.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:04 AM   #6
StuartJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
So sorry: here = ?

[INCANUS]
Hi Incanus - I think Malcolm was referring to RelaunchX which has a discussion thread devoted to it on this forum. Unless I'm mistaken, and there's another e-ink launcher around to try?!

I did try RelaunchX - at least in the version available from F-Droid -
and found it didn't really do what I wanted. It was still very much file browser centred, and didn't give me the nice UI to access books I'm currently reading. So far, I'm sticking with the Boyue launcher now I've got it more or less working (avoiding the Books tab, and not using the Boyue readers!).
Old 04-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #7
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
I see.

Thanks for your prompt reply, Stuart!

[INCANUS]
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:40 PM   #8
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3-T80S-T80D-T103D-K78-Inkpalm 5-HiSense Touch-Hi Reader Pro-Palma
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartJ View Post
Hi Incanus - I think Malcolm was referring to RelaunchX which has a discussion thread devoted to it on this forum. Unless I'm mistaken, and there's another e-ink launcher around to try?!

I did try RelaunchX - at least in the version available from F-Droid -
and found it didn't really do what I wanted. It was still very much file browser centred, and didn't give me the nice UI to access books I'm currently reading. So far, I'm sticking with the Boyue launcher now I've got it more or less working (avoiding the Books tab, and not using the Boyue readers!).
Yeah meant that
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustardOrMayo View Post
Yeah, especially because Boyue completely removed the wallpaper functionality from their version of Android, AND there's no way to disable animations.
You can disable them system wide in android dev options. But nova still sucks as it looks all dark and it just eats ram more then the stock since we can't kill the stock launcher without root.
Malcolm
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote