Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #1
tiniree
Zealot
tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.tiniree calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Nook 1st Gen
Red face Am I The Only One??

I just got my first e-reader (the Nook) on Tuesday and am having a ball enjoying it.

But I have to ask: Am I the only one to go "overboard" downloading free e-books when you first get your e-reader??? My family is cracking up saying I will never read all these books, but to tell the truth......I love knowing I will always have another option with me if the current book I am reading gets boring.

Marie
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Nope, no such thing as "overboard." Non-classic freebies don't usually stay free, so grab them while you can. I even downloaded a virtual stack of 15 Harlequin romances, I figure free is free, haven't read one yet though.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiniree View Post
I just got my first e-reader (the Nook) on Tuesday and am having a ball enjoying it.

But I have to ask: Am I the only one to go "overboard" downloading free e-books when you first get your e-reader??? My family is cracking up saying I will never read all these books, but to tell the truth......I love knowing I will always have another option with me if the current book I am reading gets boring.

Marie
Not by my standards. I've downloaded (an am still downloading) enough books to last me (at last count) 688 years, providing I read a book a day.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Not by my standards. I've downloaded (an am still downloading) enough books to last me (at last count) 688 years, providing I read a book a day.

Stitchawl
You're braver than I am, Stitchawl. I'm afraid to count how long it would take me to read all the books I have....
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
If they are PD books and free today, they will be free tomorrow ... no need to download them. And if they are commercial titles and free today, and you really WILL read them, get it ... but if not, there will be other free things in the near future that will itnerest you. And, if you miss a freebie, and it's really worth it to you to read it, well, buy it when you are ready. Simple.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 11:03 PM   #6
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
When I got my first e reader I downloaded every free ebooks imaginable. But then I realize I am not going to read all of them since most are not my genre. So I stop doing so and only download what I think I want to read. Sensualpoet is right. If they are free now they'll be tomorrow. To answer your overboard question though, No I don't think you are going overboard with downloading free books. It's your new toy you want to use in the process after all.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:11 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I started getting a bunch of free books... even read some of them, unfortunately. I found many of them, not all mind you, were worth what I paid.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 12:45 AM   #8
GinoXB
Connoisseur
GinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura aboutGinoXB has a spectacular aura about

Device: Aluratek Libre
It's your Nook, enjoy it as you wish! I'm using it to reconnect with classics that I read or heard about when I was younger. Complete collections from Frank L. Baum, H.P.Lovecraft, Robert Howard. Some Alexandre Dumas, Napoleon Hill, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Sun Tzu, Algernon Blackwood ... I could go on and on. Download to your hearts content. If you read it great, if not it'll be there waiting for you when you want to get around to it. If not ... delete it.... then download some more!
GinoXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 02:56 AM   #9
dapriuk
Enthusiast
dapriuk doesn't litterdapriuk doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Lenovo X61 tablet PC, Advent Vega Android tablet
You are definitely not the only one.

I downloaded more books from Gutenberg than I recognised, let alone could read, on the basis that it would be a library. I was able to enjoy classics I never got around to at school and even replace some of the science fiction I have as paperbacks already.

I've since gone back to Gutenberg and re-downloaded books in ePub format. My advice is if you are going "overboard" then make sure the books are in a non-proprietary open format such as text, html, epub etc so you will still be able to read them in the future.
dapriuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:47 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:

Marie
Nope. You're not... I have more books I can ever read in my life... No idea how many...

But I do it for the same reason as you, can you imagine running out of books!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
You're braver than I am, Stitchawl. I'm afraid to count how long it would take me to read all the books I have....
And that's why!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:16 AM   #11
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
I think I will be much the same when my much anticipated K3 arrives.....I hope I will actually expand my reading horizons a little by taking advantage of freebies and look into genres I usually have no interest in.

However, no romantic fiction can be free enough to make it onto my reader - maybe if they paid me..........

Last edited by captkjaneway; 09-03-2010 at 06:17 AM. Reason: Fat fingered spelling!
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:41 AM   #12
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
I think this is perfectly normal, I know I did this when I first got my Kindle. Last time I checked, I have almost 80 free books, and many, many more purchased books. I've really slowed down over the past few months, but at first I was like everyone else, if it was free, I downloaded it. Now I know I have a lot of free books that are not my genre, and probably will never read. But they are there.....ya know.....just in case!
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:45 AM   #13
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
Quote:

Marie
No Marie, you are not alone in going "overboard" in downloading free e-books.
I was the same when I got my first eReader also. What I have learned to do now is.....When I read at least "ten" books. I delete them and then download another ten. Keeping a steady one hundred books on my eReader.

Mag.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #14
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
It's not bravery, Shel. It's motivation. I'm afraid to die leaving so many books unread.
I've gone a health kick just to be sure of living longer. Only one olive in my martini these days to cut back on the salt!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:28 AM   #15
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
My personal feeling is, if it sounds like something you may someday find interesting, even if it's not a genre you'd usually read, why not? Unlike physical books, free ebooks don't cost you a penny and they don't take up space. Yeah, they take up a few megabytes of space on your ereader, but so what? As long as you have room, who cares? I downloaded thousands of free books. Mostly PD, though some which were free for a time. I stopped downloading every free Smashwords book because I realized a lot of them weren't worth bothering with, but if the description sounded remotely interesting, I figure it doesn't hurt to have them. Plus, I strip DRM from my books and keep an off site backup of everything on Amazon S3. That means that unlike physical books, which I have to worry about packing up when I move, my ebooks will always be available, they'll never get lost or damaged and if 20 years from now there is some new format that is popular, I'll still have my books because I stripped the DRM and I cans simply convert them (I have no doubt that conversion software from ePub and othe popular formats will be available to whatever the latest and greatest is).

I know others think I'm crazy to have thousands of books on my reader, but I happen to love reading and love the idea of knowing I can always find something to read without having to first log onto my computer and download something. Or if I had a Kindle, log into Amazon and buy something. Bottom line, do as you like. It's your reader and your life to live as you choose.
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote