Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #1
sforce
Connoisseur
sforce doesn't littersforce doesn't litter

Device: Plastic Logic (?)
Total eReader sales from eInk's revenue data?

Prime View Ups Terms Of Deal For E Ink

Read the below story: does E Ink's revenue of only "$96 million during the first nine months" make it sound like sales of eReaders--over all--are anywhere near the level suggested by the likes of Amazon's Jeff Bezos, et al?

I know eInk's screens go into many different devices other than eReaders, but is there any way to estimate the number of readers sold from the below press release data?

"The release also includes some new details about E Ink's financial performance. Prime View says that E Ink's revenue was $96 million during the first nine months of the year, up 250 percent"

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Prime-....html?x=0&.v=1
sforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:43 AM   #2
SecondoMe
SecondoMe is on a distinguished road

Device: iLiad, DR1000, Cybook, BeBook
I don't think it's possible to estimate the number of screens sold from the 96M$ datum.
I suppose that they are revenues from patent use, and so not directly correlable (in an aprioristic way) to the actual screens production.
SecondoMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 03:16 AM   #3
lee1234
Enthusiast
lee1234 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader, Nokia E61
it would be difficult, i guess
lee1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I would say more than difficult. With the differences in price based on different display sizes, revenue from other sources other than sales, etc, I just don't see how it is possible.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
It could certainly be used to estimate an upper bound on the number of screens billed for in that time period, assuming you know the OEM price for 6" screens. It can't be more than $96M/divided by that price and is certain to be less due to other income (e.g. larger screens or royalties).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #6
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
but they didn't make just 6" screens.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I don't really understand what eink does versus prime view. I used to think that eink licensed the tech and continued to research and that prime view manufactured the screens. However, when PVI announced their initial buyout it was announced that all the screens were still manufactured by eink.

I suspect its something like eink making the glass plus the eink capsules and primeview putting in the electronics.

Anyway, the OEM price of $60 that has been quoted by iSuppli as the cost of a 6" screen is clearly for a finished screen from PVI. It's not clear what the actual cost is from eink.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote