Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-26-2009, 05:09 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Things appearing differently on Calibre preview and on reader

Has anyone had any problems with things appearing fine on the Calibre preview and then not so much fine on the reader? I was having difficulties with 'liberated' ereader files missing punctuation, and I tried converting to ePud first, tried telling it this was a book designer HTML, tried utf-8 and cp-2505 and every other code suggested, and finally I thought I had it working. But while it looked fine in Calibre on preview, there were still errors on the reader.

I am on a Mac and did not have access to Book Designer, but someone finally suggested I check the file in another epub viewer. So I opened up one of my ebooks in Stanza, exported it as RTF from there, opened it back up in Neo Office and it looked fine. I wanted to take out the extra paragraph marks and could not do that in Neo office because its find and replace would not let me search for invisible characters. So I opened it up in Pages and used that to get rid of the double paragraph breaks. Then I went to export, and there was no HTML option, so I exported it (again) as RTF, went back (again) to Neo Office, saved it as HTML etc. Then went back to Calibre, deleted the original book, imported my new HTML file as the book, converted that to LRF and put it on the Sony (for some reason my Sony reads RTF fonts as tiny, so Kovid suggested I only use HTML). Put it on my reader and everything looks good, but I want to get through reading one book like this to make extra-sure everything is fine before I spend more time converting things as this process is quite labour-intensive

Has anyone else encountered this 'fine in Calibre viewer and not fine on reader' problem before? Does anyone know why saving it from Stanza instead of Calibre is making such a difference? And do any Mac users have any tips for streamlining my conversion process a little bit? If this process really will give me decent books, it will be fine to do one-offs this way once I have my backlog converted, I suppose. But my backlog is about 40 exisiting books right now and this will take me some time to convert if I have to do such a labor-intensive process...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre's epub viewer is considerably more tolerant of malformed input than the reader viewer. Which is why you see the difference. What bugs exactly are present in the EPUB file on the reader but not in the calibre viewer?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Missing apostrophes, quotation marks and em-dashes. There is just blank spaces where these should be.

But when I ran it through the Stanza converter, everything was fine...working off the same source file. So it was baffling.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
stanza basically strips everything, replacing it with lowest common denominator markup, which is why it worked for you.

But I'm interested as to why this didn't work through calibre, so please opena ticket and attach the liberated ereader html
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:03 PM   #5
ficbot
Wizard

How do I open a ticket? I went to the website and it said I needed 'privileges' to report a bug?
Advert
Old 03-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You have to login first. If you have not already done so this means signing up for a (free) registration.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:05 AM   #7
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
I too have the same problem with ereader books. All other formats seem to translate. I'm on a MAC too, the books display fine on the MAC in Calibre & other computer readers, but on the Cybook, the apostrophes and some commas don't translate. Kovid suggested is may be a font or code page issue. However, I've tried a variety of fonts with no change. I'm about to see if i can change the code page to see if this works.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote