Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
anthonymoody
anthonymoody began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
How long should it take an emailed file to arrive on the Kindle 2?

Just got my K2. It was pre-registered in my name out of the box. I emailed a PDF to it, from an approved email address, to be converted and forwarded to my K2. But nothing has appeared yet, and yes, wireless is on.

TIA,
TM
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post
Just got my K2. It was pre-registered in my name out of the box. I emailed a PDF to it, from an approved email address, to be converted and forwarded to my K2. But nothing has appeared yet, and yes, wireless is on.
It's generally a few minutes, but I have seen it sometimes take a bit longer -- up to an hour. It's possible that Amazon's servers that process the Kindle emails are more stressed than usual, with all the new K2 folks.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
anthonymoody
anthonymoody began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
AHA! Whew, thanks. I was worried I was doing somethig wrong, or had a defective unit (which I suppose is still possible!) but at least it's not supposed to be instantaneous...

I'm all about instant gratification.

Many thanks Bill.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
It seems to be taking a LOT longer on the K2 than it did before.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:10 AM   #5
cejaxon
cejaxon began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
I bought my husband a Kindle that arrived Wednesday. We have tried sending files two ways: to kindle.com (for which we have been told we will be charged 10 cents/file) & to free.kindle.com. We found that it takes over 1/2 hour for the files sent to kindle.com to load. We still have seen nothing of the files we sent to free.kindle.com.

Re: the lost free.kindle.com files
The response from Kindle support has been to quote the documentation back at us, which is, to say the least, maddening... we bought a Kindle because we could, uh, you know, read. I referenced the documentation in my query, so the support person should have known that I had read it. They seem to have zero interest in troubleshooting the issue. Per other fora I have read, there is a rumor? a belief? wishful thinking? (not sure what to call it) that files sent to kindle.com are not actually costing anything. Per our amazon.com account page, we have not yet been charged for those files received from kindle.com, so there may be something to that rumor, although I have no idea what amazon can or will do about the bills in the future. IF they are planning to NOT charge people for using kindle.com & that's why free.kindle.com doesn't work, I wish they would tell us. Right now, we're just playing with the new toy, but at some point, my husband will want those files on his Kindle & he will not be happy about them not arriving.
cejaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cejaxon View Post
Re: the lost free.kindle.com files
I assume since you read the docs that you have set up authorzied from email addresses?

Have you looked in your SPAM folder for the stuff sent to free.kindle.com?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Kindle support in the beginning was excellent.

Since then I believe it has all been moved to India - I've not gotten decent Amazon support in months over anything.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
radiationman
Connoisseur
radiationman began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
It took me two days to receive a file I sent to @kindle.com. After two hours I got frustrated and downloaded Calibre and did the conversion that way.

Unfortunately I'm not completely confident it is Amazon's fault it took so long. I've got pretty shaky Whispernet service at home and almost none at work which may have been why it took so long.

On the plus side however - I think that the conversion done by @kindle.com was MUCH better than the one from Calibre with the finished product being significantly more readable from @kindle.com.
radiationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
KindleDude
Connoisseur
KindleDude doesn't litterKindleDude doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
About 2 minutes, but I had the same problem initially. I wrote to Amazon Kindle support, and they told me to restart the Kindle. I don't know whether it makes any difference, but they specifically told me to use the menus--at home, press "menu"; click on "Settings"; press "Menu" again; select "restart."

Hope this helps!
KindleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:18 AM   #10
cejaxon
cejaxon began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I assume since you read the docs that you have set up authorized from email addresses?

Have you looked in your SPAM folder for the stuff sent to free.kindle.com?

BOb
RE: sending files to free.kindle.com
Yes, my email address was on the approved list, & yes, I can get email from kindle -- it is not filtered out by a spam filter. & yes, I did hear from free.kindle.com, three - five days later (because I retried sending the file several times, I got several responses).

They said they could not convert that particular .pdf.

However, since we had thought free.kindle.com wasn't going to work at all, we also sent the .pdf to kindle.com & they did convert it (does 10 cents make THAT much difference?).
cejaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:27 AM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cejaxon View Post
However, since we had thought free.kindle.com wasn't going to work at all, we also sent the .pdf to kindle.com & they did convert it (does 10 cents make THAT much difference?).
I see. Let us know if you are charged. No one else has been yet.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:49 AM   #12
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
No one has ever been charged the 10 cent fee.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote