Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
khintul
Enthusiast
khintul doesn't litterkhintul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle2, Kindle 3, PRS-300, PRS-350, PaperWhite 1, Kobo Aura HD
Kobo Aura HD question

Hi All - I have had my Aura HD for one month now, and have a question I'm hoping other Aura HD owners can help with. I have just been to the Kobo help site, and though the wait time shown for a chat session was "none", after 10 minutes of waiting I decided I'd come here and ask.

So far, the only problem with this unit (to my knowledge) is that the LED does not ever come on when charging, or for that matter, any other time. This is certainly something I can live with, unless the non functioning LED is a symptom of something worse. Any hints/suggestions?

Thanks!
Karon
khintul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
Not even when you turn it on?
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
khintul
Enthusiast

Well, I just turned it off and then back on, and the LED did come on during the powering up process. Since I leave it on and let it sleep normally, I didn't even know that the light came on then.

So I guess the only thing I'm missing is the LED showing when it's charging.

Thanks for the response.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:27 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I don't remember ever seeing the LED lit while it was charging, is there anywhere that mentions that it is supposed to light up when it is charging? What about blinking? That would make sense but I haven't seen that either.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:32 PM   #5
khintul
Enthusiast

Well, heck, maybe I misunderstood - don't know where I got the idea that it was supposed to give some indication of charging. Guess I don't have a potential problem after all.

Thanks!
Advert
Old 04-01-2014, 02:34 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by khintul View Post
Well, I just turned it off and then back on, and the LED did come on during the powering up process. Since I leave it on and let it sleep normally, I didn't even know that the light came on then.

So I guess the only thing I'm missing is the LED showing when it's charging.

Thanks for the response.
The only time I've seen the LED light up when plugged into the charger was when I had my Aura HD powered off and it powered on when connected. Otherwise, the battery icon when it's awake and the battery charge message on the sleep screen are all the only indicators I've seen. At times, I miss the original Kobo's LED colour change as the charge indicator.

Regards,
David
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 02:38 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
If you are using it in the regular Kobo software, there is a charging/level indicator onscreen. When in sleep mode you also have a "Battery: %" displayed.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:18 PM   #8
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Well, heck, maybe I misunderstood - don't know where I got the idea that it was supposed to give some indication of charging. Guess I don't have a potential problem after all.

Thanks!
Some of the older/original Kobo devices theoretically at least (not sure it ever worked quite right) used the LED to indicate charging/charged so that's probably where you got the idea. I think yours is likely fine.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:54 AM   #9
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Like others here, I can't tell if the LED is getting red when charging. For me that's because, when the Aura HD is plugged I can only see the bottom side. I use the screen to see the charging status, so I have no need to tilit it and look the top part.
The LED works for sure when I turn the Aura HD on and off.

Do you like your Aura HD?
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:30 AM   #10
khintul
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
Like others here, I can't tell if the LED is getting red when charging. For me that's because, when the Aura HD is plugged I can only see the bottom side. I use the screen to see the charging status, so I have no need to tilit it and look the top part.
The LED works for sure when I turn the Aura HD on and off.

Do you like your Aura HD?
I like the Aura HD a lot. I've used it pretty much exclusively for the month I've had it, in order to get familiar and be sure it was working as it should.
Before this, my favorite reader was the PW1.

The first charge on the Aura lasted for 32 hours of reading, and while I was recharging, I went back to the PW. Of course the first difference I noted was the screen size - more real estate on the Aura, but perfectly OK for me on the PW.

Also, the PW page turns are noticeably faster, which was a surprise to me.
I noticed no difference in the crispness of the text, but the PW screen is more pure white, while the Aura is more a creamy white.

PW features I found I missed - the time left to finish the chapter feature, and the page flip feature. I don't often use the dictionary, but the book I'd been reading from the library had some words I wanted to look up. PW - brought the definitions right up, while the Aura got me nowhere. In looking through the Aura documentation, I read that sometimes the dictionary feature doesn't work with library books. I don't care for that much at all.

Aura features I really like - the way the device marks books as "finished", and gives the statistics of how many books read, and time spent reading. Lots more storage space too, though for me that's not really a big deal. I usually delete a book after I've read it.

I don't use wifi on either one, but use Calibre and sideload books.
Bottom line, after a month with the Aura HD, I am equally fond of reading on both it and the PW, but taking all things into consideration - cost, features, customer service, I'd have to give the edge to the Kindle.

Karon
Old 04-02-2014, 01:09 PM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
PW features I found I missed - the time left to finish the chapter feature, and the page flip feature. I don't often use the dictionary, but the book I'd been reading from the library had some words I wanted to look up. PW - brought the definitions right up, while the Aura got me nowhere. In looking through the Aura documentation, I read that sometimes the dictionary feature doesn't work with library books. I don't care for that much at all.
The only reason the dictionary shouldn't work with library books is if they are in pdf format. Otherwise I've never heard of any issues with that.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 04:59 AM   #12
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
The time to finish chapter, and book, is available to books bought at Kobo and downloaded through WIFI (Kepubs in other words). A plug in was able to offer the same thing for sideloaded books but Kobo changed something in the firmware and it not longer works.

Regarding the LED, I've just plugged the Aura HD in my computer and the LED is off. So you really don't have to worry about that
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:58 AM   #13
khintul
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
The time to finish chapter, and book, is available to books bought at Kobo and downloaded through WIFI (Kepubs in other words). A plug in was able to offer the same thing for sideloaded books but Kobo changed something in the firmware and it not longer works.

Regarding the LED, I've just plugged the Aura HD in my computer and the LED is off. So you really don't have to worry about that
Ah, good to know -thanks!

Karon