Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
New Kobo Aura HD eInk eReader 1440x1080

Kobo have just announced a new eInk ebook reader, the kobo aura HD.

Suggested retail price is $169.99 in US and Canada (+sales tax, I expect)
At W.H. Smiths it's £139.99 (including VAT. £116.66+VAT)
I haven't found a Euro price yet.

See also this thread in the Kobo forum.

Size: 175.7 x 128.3 x 11.7 mm (6.91 x 5.05 x 0.46 in)
Weight: 240 g (8.4658 oz)
Display: 6.8" WXGA+ Pearl E Ink Screen
ClarityScreen+: 265 dpi, 1440 x 1080 resolution
Light: Built-in ComfortLight technology with micro-thin coating for durability and even light distribution
Buttons: Power on/off, light on/off
Connectivity: Wi Fi 802.11 b/g/n and Micro USB
Storage: 4 GB
Option to expand up to 32 GB with a Micro SD card

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-16-2013 at 06:15 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #2
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
Ooooo, that looks pretty. It looks like a luxury eInk reader perfect for avid readers.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Here's a video that showcases the new Kobo Aura HD:

DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's the 265ppi screen resolution that's really impressive to me. It's competitive with retina displays in an iPad (which are 264ppi).
Old 04-15-2013, 04:20 PM   #5
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
A $170 price tag, before sales tax. Meh.

Too large to be comfortable.

And, despite the video, expect the screen redraws to be slower than the Glo (same speed CPU, but larger screen area and resolution to compensate for).
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
A $170 price tag, before sales tax. Meh.
Curmudgeon is right! A 6.8", 265ppi front-lit display for $170? A bargain!
Old 04-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I wonder how one can get a case, given the shaped back? I don't totally trust my readers in my purse without a case.

But... this may get me to break my "no new technology this year" pledge to my husband. (I wonder what Amazon is going to do with this new screen?)

One of the threads in General Discussions asks, how many ebooks is enough? for me, it's how many ereaders is enough? should I give up my Sony 350 if I get this new Kobo? or keep the 350 for the small form factor, and give up my beloved Kindle Keyboard (which resides in a drawer now that I've got the Paperwhite)...
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Battery lasts for two months, not bad. I think Rakuten is aiming the device for Manga readers in Japan.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Battery life really depends on how people use it--things like if WiFi is always on, if the light is always used when reading. I expect the page turning to be faster. They are talking about a different technology for it, and it is not like more than 1 GHz is required for that. I know that in the past, speed for that kind of thing has improved greatly as the developers continued to work on it. It has not been a hardware issue for a very long time.

The Aura is about an inch wider and two inches taller. I ordered one and will report back on how it feels in my small hands. I did not get a cover. if that oddly shaped back is supposed to make holding it a better experience, then I didn't see the point in going for a flat backed cover. Besides, they are saying that the screen is much more durable than previous models and I don't expect to take it out of my house, except when it goes away on holidays with me.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post

One of the threads in General Discussions asks, how many ebooks is enough? for me, it's how many ereaders is enough? should I give up my Sony 350 if I get this new Kobo? or keep the 350 for the small form factor, and give up my beloved Kindle Keyboard (which resides in a drawer now that I've got the Paperwhite)...
Makes sense to me....I have three and I use all three. 4, and I might have a problem lol. But I am drooling over this new Kobo, and gleefully awaiting what Sony or Amazon might have to compare with it.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #11
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I'd call that size finally large enough. I have yet to pick up an e-ink reader and the 5"-6" standard is one (minor) reason. The Trade Paperback form factor (similar to my old Nook Color) looks just about right.

The price... well, one could pick up a tablet of similar size and PPI for not much more, but it still seems just about right for the combination of features. It ticks off all my boxes (display quality, front light, microSD) except for a hackable Android OS, but it's looking less and less likely that B&N will release another generation of e-ink Nooks stepping up the PPI
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I dunno, taosaur, the 6.8" screen seems like it might be too big. I'd love to see one, hold it, see how it balances in my hands. I'm also cautious about the shaped back - makes it kinda hard to have a screen-protecting cover. I do like everything else about it, though.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #13
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
A number of people have asked for a better PDF reader. Do you think this is it?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
A number of people have asked for a better PDF reader. Do you think this is it?
If you have young eyes, the combination of the 6.8" screen and 265ppi should make even A4 PDFs readable.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #15
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
Kumabjorn has a good point: this would be really great for reading manga. I find the resolution is the biggest problem with reading manga on a Kindle.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote