Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 01-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #286
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej231 View Post
Why not? I miss Win 3.1. LOL
O...kay.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #287
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I still give it a 10. My current gripe is the cool display. I prefer warm for reading. So my Sony Tablet is better for my preference. It seems to be made with reading in mind. Real easy on the eyes. But I only use the Sony when working with documents or for GPS. The Fire display is great for videos.

Last edited by SCION; 01-07-2012 at 01:05 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #288
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej231 View Post
Why not? I miss Win 3.1. LOL
I used to like one of the Solitaire games in the old Win OS. Called Cruel. I found it in this app.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=UTF8&v=glance

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:43 AM   #289
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
I really like my Kindle Fire and have read 15 books with about 10,000 pages on it since I got it last year.

However ... if Apple came out with a 7" "mini iPad" for, say, 300$, I'd get that in a heartbeat (and presumably sell the Kindle Fire), simply to have the the ease of one application system on my devices, the possibility to use an app once bought also on the others etc.

I have not seen a single app on the Amazon android store that was not available for the iPad and so good that I really would want to have it there. OTOH, there are A LOT of iPhone/iPad apps that I really miss on Android. OK, that might be because I had my iPad much longer (got it when it came out and had the iPod touch before) than the KF, but IMO the software available in the Amazon Marketplace is very limited.

Best regards,
Andy

Last edited by Andy_T; 01-17-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #290
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Just got my fire on Saturday and I love it. But I would really like to be able to have the Google android market, and also he gmail app.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #291
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My 7" SGT has been collecting dust unfortunately since I got the KF. I will probably try to sell it or get some gift cards from BB if they play ball.

My specific SGT will not be getting the ICS update.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #292
ReneAZ
eBookaholic
ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kindle Fire
I give it a 10! I absolutely LOVE it.
At first, when friends and co-workers were getting it, I didn't really give it a thought. I thought I would just use it to read books, and I have a K3 for that (which I love).
However, after more investigation and listening to friends' opinions, I bought one a couple of weeks ago.
Wow, I am so happy I did this. Besides reading (which is great on the bus in the morning when it is still dark - not to mention the free book rentals with Prime) I have started taking advantage of the free videos, and have watched the first few episodes of The Tudors (great!), and played scrabble with friends.
It is so much fun and I get a lot of enjoyment out of it.
Rene
(only cons: battery life (charge it every other day) and on/off button location on bottom (have turned it off a couple of times!)
ReneAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #293
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneAZ View Post
I give it a 10! I absolutely LOVE it.
At first, when friends and co-workers were getting it, I didn't really give it a thought. I thought I would just use it to read books, and I have a K3 for that (which I love).
However, after more investigation and listening to friends' opinions, I bought one a couple of weeks ago.
Wow, I am so happy I did this. Besides reading (which is great on the bus in the morning when it is still dark - not to mention the free book rentals with Prime) I have started taking advantage of the free videos, and have watched the first few episodes of The Tudors (great!), and played scrabble with friends.
It is so much fun and I get a lot of enjoyment out of it.
Rene
(only cons: battery life (charge it every other day) and on/off button location on bottom (have turned it off a couple of times!)
This is a big deal. If word of mouth gets people who did not want to buy a Fire to get one, then Amazon is going to have a good 2012.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:23 AM   #294
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I can't believe we're still on about me installing Windows 3.1 on my Fire.

I like my Fire even better after sticking Ice Cream Sandwich on it. No sound besides the notifications yet, but is so'kay for now. Have the Kindle app, and now have... A fully working TI-83 calculator. .
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #295
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneAZ View Post
... and on/off button location on bottom (have turned it off a couple of times!)
Simple ... I had the same issue, so I simply turned it around and locked the screen orientation in "upside down" mode ... done, on/off button is on top now.

Of course it would be perfect if the scrensaver picture also was turned around when you turn it on, but you can't have everything.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #296
drjpreston
Enthusiast
drjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheesedrjpreston can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 & Fire
I expected to continue to use my K3 a lot for reading after I got my KF. I realised this morning I had not touched my K3 for the past two weeks.

I love my KF. I give it a 9.98. Sure there are a couple of small things I wish were different or that it had, but I cannot imagine that that would also be true with any device.
drjpreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:03 AM   #297
Andy_T
Evangelist

Oh, and what I HATE is when I turn off the sound, but it still makes noises, when a new email comes or some other stupid notification happens.

That works on PCs, Macs, iPhones, iPads and any other electronic device I can think of, don't think it is rocket science to make this work also on the KF or other Amazon devices. (OK, maybe I simply have not found the "REALLY turn off sound" switch yet ;-)

Best regards,
Andy
Old 01-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #298
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
Oh, and what I HATE is when I turn off the sound, but it still makes noises, when a new email comes or some other stupid notification happens.

That works on PCs, Macs, iPhones, iPads and any other electronic device I can think of, don't think it is rocket science to make this work also on the KF or other Amazon devices. (OK, maybe I simply have not found the "REALLY turn off sound" switch yet ;-)

Best regards,
Andy
Settings/Sounds/Notifications set to Silent
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:53 PM   #299
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Jessica ... Win 3.1 is Definitely Still the Best OS ever Written

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I can't believe we're still on about me installing Windows 3.1 on my Fire.

I like my Fire even better after sticking Ice Cream Sandwich on it. No sound besides the notifications yet, but is so'kay for now. Have the Kindle app, and now have... A fully working TI-83 calculator. .
Kevin2960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #300
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2960 View Post
Jessica ... Win 3.1 is Definitely Still the Best OS ever Written
This is SO wrong. But it reminds me of the Windows Journey...

DOS my 286, nfl challenge, kings quest, lotus 123, procomm
Windows 1.0 GUI Front End for windows -- task switcher
Windows 2.0 Word, Excel, Calc, Calendar, Notepad, Paint, Reversi
Windows 2.x Appletalk, 80286/80386 support
Windows 3.0 multimedia, DOS in a window, Program Manager
Windows 3.1 last version of windows to promise support for older programs
Windows 3.11 Windows for Workgroups (sharing at last), 32 bit os
Windows 95 EASY sharing and networking, Internet Explorer
Windows 98 USB support
Windows ME -- XP user interface on Win/98
Windows XP/Vista/7 we have all used, so...

My favorite version of Windows was Windows 95. Win95 made it easy to network computers just as they were becoming inexpensive enough that it was not rediculous to have two in the home. All of a sudden a couple kind of expensive network cards and a few feet of coaxial cable allowed for multiplayer Doom.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote