Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #76
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Look guys.

The authors are just trying to sell the product of their capital and labor and make some money. Make a living!
The publisher and seller try to do the same.

The buying public is in the driver's seat.
All they have to do is say to any of the above, we will only buy your product if you do this. Otherwise we will boycott you.

Then the author, publisher, seller will determine if they wish to continue in the book business or maybe open a vegetable and fruit stand.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:00 AM   #77
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
Look guys.

The authors are just trying to sell the product of their capital and labor and make some money. Make a living!
The publisher and seller try to do the same.

The buying public is in the driver's seat.
All they have to do is say to any of the above, we will only buy your product if you do this. Otherwise we will boycott you.

Then the author, publisher, seller will determine if they wish to continue in the book business or maybe open a vegetable and fruit stand.
Sounds simple, doesn't it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #78
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
But that is not comparable. For ebooks you can usually buy the paper copy. So the default case (the paper book) is that no restrictions concerning readers apply. So introducing ebook restrictions is going from no restriction to restrictions which seems to be something that is not wanted.
And with board and card games there were no restrictions, because the game itself was a complete object, as with paper books. With video games, and eBooks, what you have is not a complete object, it is software which requires a device to make it operable. It is comparable, the change just happened decades ago for video games. And, as with eBooks, most games end up on most systems, but there are some big name exclusives which are worth spending the money to make exclusive.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:27 AM   #79
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
And with board and card games there were no restrictions, because the game itself was a complete object, as with paper books. With video games, and eBooks, what you have is not a complete object, it is software which requires a device to make it operable. It is comparable, the change just happened decades ago for video games. And, as with eBooks, most games end up on most systems, but there are some big name exclusives which are worth spending the money to make exclusive.
No, a board game and a computer game is not the same thing. People still play board games alot. Computer games is not seen as a replacement to board games.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #80
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No, a board game and a computer game is not the same thing. People still play board games alot. Computer games is not seen as a replacement to board games.
People still read books a lot. eBooks are not seen as a replacement for books. (By many people.)

Several of the most popular board games are now available as iOS apps, btw.
Advert
Old 10-11-2011, 12:23 PM   #81
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
People still read books a lot. eBooks are not seen as a replacement for books. (By many people.)

I find this statement somewhat bemusing and perplexing.
"eBooks are not seen as a replacement for books. (By many people.)"

I don't deny that some people still prefer printed books, and buy printed books, but I balk at the way the sentence is expressed.

Personally, I think eBooks replace books if you have the digital book. You will not generally buy the book in both forms, so if you have a digital copy of "Moby Dick" you most probably won't buy the printed book "Moby Dick." Now it may be possible that you already had a Moby Dick book on a shelf or in a box somewhere, and chose a new digital copy for convenience, or because you didn't like the smell of the old book, or even can't find it. But irregardless you have in effect "replaced" the printed copy. I believe that you will seldom buy a printed book if you have available an eBook of that title.

Now there still may be occasion to buy a printed copy of a book that is available in digital form. I do this quite often. I will buy a used copy of a book I wish to use as a reference or background for writing. It will cost usually say .01USD +3.99USD= 4.00USD and that will be cheaper than the 9.99USD for a digital copy. The second reason is that for a reference book, I will mark pages with book marks, passages with a line marker, or even leave the book out on a table open as I reference it from time to time. You can see the old used copy is more useful and quickly accessed in this respect.

I also buy used books just for reading, sometimes an old library copy of a new book I want to read because the politics of the authors, publishers, and legacy book stores require that the digital form of the book be more expensive that it should be and that doesn't change due to the time the book has been on the market . I read a lot of books, so I can wait a year or two for any one book, for it to reduce in cost to say $4 or $5 used rather that $9.99 in digital form.

Anyway, I find that eBooks are replacing printed books a lot, but of course there are still a lot of printed books being sold, new and used.

To say that they are not seen as a replacement by many people needs further exploration. Are those "many people" growing smaller and smaller in number each year. Are more books being sold as eBooks each year than printed books. Is the percentage of eBooks growing each year. Are the total eBooks growing each year and are the total printed books decreasing each year.

I would say that eBooks are replacing printed books, but the replacement is not yet complete. That might be a better way of expressing that sentence I quoted up above.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #82
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
I don't deny that some people still prefer printed books, and buy printed books, but I balk at the way the sentence is expressed.
I'll take first base then.
Some people see eBooks as a replacement for some printed books.
How about that?
The sentence was phrased the way it was to match the equivalent sentence I quoted.
For me, eBooks are a replacement for fiction, but not for cookbooks, maps, textbooks, repair manuals, or probably many other things that spring to mind.

Quote:
Are more books being sold as eBooks each year than printed books. Is the percentage of eBooks growing each year. Are the total eBooks growing each year and are the total printed books decreasing each year.
No. Yes. Yes. Don't know, but I doubt it.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #83
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I agree with these answers.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:52 PM   #84
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I agree with these answers.
I just had a quandary today whether to buy the latest "Best American Poetry 2011" in paperback (which I've always done) or as an ebook. I ended up buying the ebook for $9.99 (as I did with the other Best American...books I just bought)

Wait....what was the question?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:02 PM   #85
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Of course it is a replacement if the book is only published electronically.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:15 PM   #86
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
Of course it is a replacement if the book is only published electronically.
Which the vast majority are not. I'm not sure what the point is?
Do you disagree that many people do not consider currently eBooks to be a[n] acceptable replacement for paper books?

Last edited by murraypaul; 10-11-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #87
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul
Do you disagree that many people do not consider currently eBooks to be a acceptable replacement for paper books?
No(?) But, I admit I had to read that sentence several times carefully before answering.

I believe that many people do not consider eBooks to be an acceptable substitute for paper books. Currently. That's what I want my answer to mean.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:42 PM   #88
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Which the vast majority are not. I'm not sure what the point is?
Do you disagree that many people do not consider currently eBooks to be a acceptable replacement for paper books?
The point is that the comparison with gaming is broken with respect to how people should or will feel about exclusivity.
Old 10-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #89
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I actually have purchasing "rules":

If the ebook price is comparable to the paperback price (within a dollar or two) then I will buy the ebook version. If not, then I will choose the least expensive version.
If I have started a series in paperback, I will finish it in paperback. Of course, if I start it in ebook format then I will finish it in ebook format.
I rearly buy hardcovers.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #90
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Perhaps the video game metaphor does demonstrate some of the consequences of
exclusivity. I've played "Computer Games", off and on, pretty much since they first
appeared. I do not buy "Console Video Games". If the game is only available on a
game console then I won't be buying it, until or unless it is released for the PC.

For the kind of games that I like, the PC is a much better platform, and there is just
the opposite of "exclusivity" as to what PCs the game will play on.

The game makers are well aware of the separate markets this situation has created.
Most, independent studios will try for the least "exclusivity" and provide the game in
a format for as many platforms, including the more open PC format, as they can.

What if "Angry Birds" only played on "Kindle Fire"? Would Angry Birds be as big a hit?
Would it attract some people to the Kindle Fire? Who would benefit, Amazon or the
Angry Birds creators? Would those willing to buy the game, but have other devices,
decide that they had to purchase Kindle Fire, or would they look for other options?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, b&n, dc comic, exclusivity, kindle fire