Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-26-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
Is there a waterproof case/skin

My friend wants to buy a Sony eReader, but her main use for it would to be reading books, on holiday, on the beach, and she is worried about getting sand in her orifice's (the sony readers of course).

Does anyone know of any such skin or case that would protect the device from such things, but still allow you to read and use it, without taking it out.

I suppose you could use a transparent plastic bag
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:04 AM   #2
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
I once had an aquapac for my camera, I wanted to see if I can fit the reader in it, but can't find it anywhere...

Anyway, with this
http://www.waterproofcases.net/ziplock.html I could take pictures underwater (aquarium ) so it'd be safe for teh reader too. Good thing: if it falls into water, it will float.

PS. the plastic is very clear if you chose the cameramodels (they're meant for taking pics underwater)

Last edited by athlonkmf; 06-26-2007 at 11:10 AM.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2007, 12:36 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by halljames View Post
My friend wants to buy a Sony eReader, but her main use for it would to be reading books, on holiday, on the beach, and she is worried about getting sand in her orifice's (the sony readers of course).

Does anyone know of any such skin or case that would protect the device from such things, but still allow you to read and use it, without taking it out.

I suppose you could use a transparent plastic bag
You may laugh, but those tough transparent ziplock bags sold for use in the freezer work extremely well! That will certainly keep sand out of your friend's orifices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
sthapit
sthapit began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
+1 for ziplock bags. i don't go to the beach without one. works extremely well for me.
sthapit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Has anyone used this one?

It looks good to me. (By the way, you can find it here: http://www.buymedge.com/)
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2007, 05:11 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I don't know if anyone here has bought one yet. That one looks like it would be good for splashes, but it's not really sealed (the jacks on the bottom are exposed, I think), and I'm not sure how easily the power slider can be accessed with it on.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 02:08 AM   #7
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Well, I have just ordered one of those cases. I dont know how long it will take to arrive here in the UK, but as soon as it does, I shall let everyone know.

Hopefully, if it does the trick, it might be enough to persuade my friend to get one.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:47 AM   #8
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
I don't know if anyone here has bought one yet. That one looks like it would be good for splashes, but it's not really sealed (the jacks on the bottom are exposed, I think), and I'm not sure how easily the power slider can be accessed with it on.
Although you can not tell by the picture the power slider is also exposed.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:13 PM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by halljames View Post
My friend wants to buy a Sony eReader, but her main use for it would to be reading books, on holiday, on the beach, and she is worried about getting sand in her orifice's (the sony readers of course)
I dealt deal with sand after my recent short trip to the beach. Fortunately, the Reader seems well sealed (except for the connectors of course), and I was able to completely dust-clean it with a high-pressure air spray afterwards.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:44 AM   #10
halljames
Zealot

Well, the case has arrived and I am very impressed.

Fits very snuggly around the reader, provides a nice spongy feel to it and makes me feel that it is a lot more protected and safe than with the standard reader cover. Its a shame the ports are uncovered at the bottom, so I might see if its possible to get some rubber port covers or something to cover them.

Very nice. The good thing is that all of the buttons seem much easier to press now, before, I felt that the page forward and back buttons were a bit clickity and sometimes did not work if i did not press them properly, but with the case, It seems to have a much more positive action when pressing them.

Very happy indeed.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:12 AM   #11
halljames
Zealot

Lightbulb

Time for some pictures. Appologies for the untidy desk and the low quality pictures :

Hope they come out okay and give you all a good feel for what the case is like. Bear in mind that the joystick is actualy a rubber covering that is part of the case, so the only open part of the case is the power switch, and the ports at the bottom.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:18 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Very nice pix, halljames, thanks for sharing them!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 10:28 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Is the transparent plastic over the screen always exposed, or is there a "flip" cover which folds down over it? It's not obvious from the pictures. Very good pictures, I should add!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:50 PM   #14
halljames
Zealot

The plastic screen cover is always exposed, there is no flip cover.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:41 PM   #15
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Nice... I almost bought this one but I opted for the Executive case instead... I like it but could use a little more water protection. And.. I was a little worried about the constant glare of the plastic case over the screen.. Do you have a lot of reflective glare?
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote