Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
Karinfhd
Karinfhd began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Should I wait a few months to buy an ipad?

I am very anxious to get an ipad and could do it today if I wanted to. But I have heard there might be the next generation ipad coming out. Is anyone familiar with apple products. do they come out yearly? Also do they sell the next generations at the same price points as the last? It is hard to be patient but if it is worth it in a few months then I will be glad. However, if I wait 'til next year and it is a higher price point than I will be disappointed I didn't get it for Christmas.
Karinfhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
I can't talk pricepoints, but I can tell you I am totally 100% in love with my Ipad and I'm glad I didn't wait. I don't normally chase new technology so if they came out with a new one in 5 months, I wouldn't really care. As it is, for what I want, IT ROCKS!!
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Apple's annual mac expo is the end of January where it's expected to have new iPad and iPhone announcements. Product releases then usually hit around march april. As for the ipad the main change is rumored to be a camera. Other than perhaps more memory there's not much missing on the iPad.

It would take something really amazing on the iPad 2 for me to trade up. I have no need for the camera and am quite happy with my ipad right now.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:22 PM   #4
Karinfhd

Excellent. I guess I could wait until January and see if it would be worth it to me. Does apple discount their last generation when there is an announcement of a new generation coming out? thank you both.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Sure, wait until the Jan expo, but then decide and act. Life is too short to dither. You will love it.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
pizda
Enthusiast
pizda began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, iPad
I also was thinking to wait a little for the new one instead of buying it now. However the only thing which I would love to have is better display, not necessarily retina display but somrething better than now, like 1280x1024 resolution. The pixels are too annoying with smal text size. However I bet that the only upgrade will be the retina display but then again the price point will go up for quite a long time.
pizda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
Yoshi 1080
Addict
Yoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litterYoshi 1080 doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone, Mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post
Apple's annual mac expo is the end of January
Yes, there is a Mac world expo in January, but Apple doesn’t participate in it anymore. Now they rather announce new products when they feel like it.

The new iPad is rumored to be released in April world-wide. Pictures of new iPad cases as well as rumors from suppliers suggest that the new iPad will have two cameras (just like the iPhone). A RAM upgrade to at least 512MiB is a given (the current iPad has only 256MiB), a speed upgrade is possible, but unknown at the moment. Qualcomm and others are working on Dual-Core ARM processors, but Apple’s roadmap regarding future CPUs is completely unknown. RIM’s Playbook which is expected to ship in Q1 2011 will already feature a dual-core CPU. I’m not sure if the iPad 2 will have a dual-core CPU, but the iPad 3 will definitely have one!

The display is rumored to be of the same new manufacturing type as the iPhone’s which means the touch foil will be more closer to the actual LCD panel. That results in less glare and a more print-like appearance of the pixels. In contrast the current iPad display just looks like a display under a glas panel. There have been no serious rumors about a higher display resolution and if you ask me, that is definitely not going to happen: The iPad just like the iPhone is based on bitmap graphics, hence a higher resolution would mean much more work for developers. The iPad platform is not even a year old and Apple is definitely not going to fragment it at this early stage. Plus, if they really felt the need for a higher resolution, they would have already incorporated that in the original iPad concept.

This would also be much more demanding for the hardware: The iPad currently has a resolution of 1024x768 on a 10" display, that makes for a pixel density of 125ppi. If you double the pixel density like they did on the iPhone 4, you get a total of 2048x1536. Then you would have 250ppi. If you wanted the iPhone’s 326ppi, the iPad would need a resolution higher than 30" monitors. Processing power on a mobile system is limited and I think there are areas where it is much more needed.

So basically it comes down to this: Do you need a camera on your iPad? Do you rely on multitasking (needs lots of RAM)? And can you wait until April? Personally I’d recommend you wait. But the current iPad is still a great device, so you don’t make a mistake by buying it now.
Yoshi 1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
Mirrorlike
Connoisseur
Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mirrorlike has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad
I heard it might be getting an A5 dual core processor.
Mirrorlike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:55 PM   #9
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
I have an iPad now and love it, and I'm not planning to upgrade next year -- I can't afford to buy a new one every year!

But if I didn't have one yet, I would probably wait for the next generation at this point.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #10
Karinfhd

Okay. I think it would be good to wait. It is going to be really hard. Do you think if it has the retina display the price point willl be HIGHER? I am hoping not. I wish they hd a set day when they made announcements though. It gave me a hope it would be I january.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:15 AM   #11
Karinfhd

Also once they announce the new ipad. Can u jump on the list for one. And does it really take three months to get It? That seems like a long time. Is it better to get the ipad through best buy or an apple STORE? Sorry. Don't know why it capitalizes my words before a question mark.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:03 AM   #12
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
I bought my first iPad the day they went on sale. I called an Apple store late, they still had a few in stock and had no line, so I got one. Otherwise, I would've waited till the hubbub died down. I'm more of an opportunist than an eager beaver, lol. I happened to be in Vegas, and the shops at Caesars Palace stay open late. I also figured Apple fans were more likely to swarm the stores elsewhere.

As for waiting, why not, unless you can't stand it. If you're the kinda person who regrets stuff, might as well. I'm more live in the moment and enjoy when it comes to gadgets.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:34 AM   #13
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
my two cents:

you want it now, then get it! Its fun to use.
If it lacks a feature that you depend on, like a forward facing camera, then wait.

We can speculate a lot of what the next version will have feature wise, but only Apple knows for sure. The camera is the only rumor I personally believe.

They probably will have an event around February when they will announce the details. The actual product will come to stores later. So its more like waiting another three months I guess.

I got mine in May when they released it here in Germany. It was almost sold out all over the place and if the 2nd generation is really a revolution then you can expect the same again.

As for getting the current model cheap when there is a new one out. Apple is already doing that. They have a section in their store that sells refurbished iPads from time to time. Here in Germany the savings have been 50 Euros so it was not so dramatic.

Not sure if this helps you in making your decision. What helped me was going to a store in May and playing around with it a little.
I left the store with a bag ........
harakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:48 AM   #14
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
If you have a use for one now then get it now, you will still have 6 months of use out of it before the new ones and in any case there is always going to be new hardware on the horizon.

Also, there is a fairly good chance that for all the rumours, the next ipad will be a fairly incremental update as a new screen resolution would tend to fragment the app market while pushing up the hw costs for apple.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #15
Karinfhd

I might not be able to wait. I could really use it now. I just hope it doesn't have better screen resolution, that would make me sad. The face time is not important to me. Flash would be nice though. Ohh, I am so torn. We are going to the apple store tonight just to check it out.